Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Samsung Mobile Navigator for SGH i-780 - It Works!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Samsung Mobile Navigator for SGH i-780 - It Works!!!

To all samsung SGH-i780 users out there.. i've finally found a program that will enable the gps feature of the phone that can work with garmin.

1. Install the pc software "MapSource" into your computer http://www8.garmin.com/support/downl...ils.jsp?id=209

When you are done with the installation you will have a new icon on the desktop, "MapInstall". We dont need this right now, but we will get back to it.

Open the installation folder and create a shortcut of the file "MapSource.exe" in your desktop..just in case it's not there.

2. Download the Mobile Navigator program at http://samsung.gamin.com -- it's a trial version. You can choose any European country in the list... download and install it in the sd card...

you can also download the latest update of the software afterwards.

3. Once it is done with the installation, connect the sd card to the mobile device and connect it to the computer and make sure that active sync and windows mobile device center softwares are running.

Open the "Mapsource" from the desktop...click utilities in the menu bar then click "Get Unit ID"

Save a copy the Unit ID.. it does not change unless you change your sd card...and it's important.

4. Open "MapInstall"... enter the Unit ID and select the sd card as storage location... then install the Phillipine map available from this forum.

5. Go outside your house.. find a clear spot.. run Garmin on your mobile device, click the bars on the left upper corner ... click "GPS Info".. then "New Location"

Wait for up to 3 minutes depending on the signal until you get a signal then save your location.

by the way, heres the link for the owner's manual http://www8.garmin.com/manuals/Samsu...nersManual.pdf

enjoy!

by the way.. any idea on how to put a shortcut of the Garmin XT program icon from the sd card to the main memory?
    Last edited by Borgie; 07-02-2009, 13:48. Reason: forum violation, deleted portions discussing illegal software. first and last warning...

Thanks for the write-up.

I've been using GMXT on my i780 since late last year. One thing I noticed is that satellite acquisition is sometimes unreliable and can take a few minutes to half an hour (had to stop waiting before I go insane) to get a fix. Enabling the XTRA downloads (Enhanced GPS) lowered the acquisition time only marginally.

But when it worked, it really was a joy to use. It's a lot more feature-packed than my Nuvi 255W (less TTS and the bigger screen). My main complaint about it is the one I mentioned above plus switching apps in between to make calls or write an SMS message is very cumbersome.

I assigned the GMXT app to the keyboard (the one with the satellite dish), bottom right. While the NAVFone PPC GPS software the phone came bundled with, is located in Programs.
    Last edited by oj88; 07-02-2009, 14:43.
    There's no place like 127.0.0.1

Comment

Originally posted by oj88 View Post
      Thanks for the write-up.

I've been using GMXT on my i780 since late last year. One thing I noticed is that satellite acquisition is sometimes unreliable and can take a few minutes to half an hour (had to stop waiting before I go insane) to get a fix. Enabling the XTRA downloads (Enhanced GPS) lowered the acquisition time only marginally.

But when it worked, it really was a joy to use. It's a lot more feature-packed than my Nuvi 255W (less TTS and the bigger screen). My main complaint about it is the one I mentioned above plus switching apps in between to make calls or write an SMS message is very cumbersome.

I assigned the GMXT app to the keyboard (the one with the satellite dish), bottom right. While the NAVFone PPC GPS software the phone came bundled with, is located in Programs.

I really haven't tested it fully. I also encountered the same problem before (i downloaded gmxt from torrent sites) but the one i installed now is directly from garmin site.. i guess in partnership with samsung.

I left the Enhanced GPS Setting disabled.. i'm still excited to use the feature.. will be going out of town this weekend and will try it on the road.

yes..i'll assigned the satellite dish key to samsung mobile navigator program. thanks.

Comment

Hi,

Newbie here and I too have have a Samsung i780. I have already installed Garmin and I think I was able to get the map in. I can't seem to get a satellite lock? How should I set the Enhance GPS and External GPS on my phone?

Comment

pay for it...

read the temporary forum rules at the bottom

just saying...
          How to get the upgraded map.

It's a sick world and I'm a happy man...

Comment

Hi Jan,

Thanks. But I found out what the problem was, I just had to go out to a more open space to get a satellite lock.

Comment

Where to get/buy GPS software for the SGH i-780?

Hi, its 10 months since the OP made this post, i was just wondering if anyone has any updates?

I just acquired a nice 2nd hand i780 at a good price, and is trying to get the gps to work (aside from Google Maps, w/c works great on its own merits)

Ive been doing research, and both the Garmin XT and the Samsung Mobile Navigator has been DISCONTINUED. (W/c makes me wonder why, since there are still a lot of GPS enabled CPs out there (and more being made every day). They should have just given it away for FREE (or at least at a reduced price), with no support of course, instead of just pulling it off the market...

Can I still buy these software somewhere? or get something similar for i780 (preferably Free ie, opensource if possible...hehe)

thanks for any inputs..

P.S. sorry if i made a similar sounding post in the newbies/intro section. Hope its not coinsidered a double post..

Comment

Originally posted by kyleryner View Post
                Hi, its 10 months since the OP made this post, i was just wondering if anyone has any updates?

I just acquired a nice 2nd hand i780 at a good price, and is trying to get the gps to work (aside from Google Maps, w/c works great on its own merits)

Ive been doing research, and both the Garmin XT and the Samsung Mobile Navigator has been DISCONTINUED. (W/c makes me wonder why, since there are still a lot of GPS enabled CPs out there (and more being made every day). They should have just given it away for FREE (or at least at a reduced price), with no support of course, instead of just pulling it off the market...

Can I still buy these software somewhere? or get something similar for i780 (preferably Free ie, opensource if possible...hehe)

thanks for any inputs..

P.S. sorry if i made a similar sounding post in the newbies/intro section. Hope its not coinsidered a double post..
                mobile xt comes from garmin, so if garmin discontinue it. tsk.. tsk..tsk
                Empty your mind, be formless. Shapeless, like water. If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle and it becomes the bottle. You put it in a teapot it becomes the teapot. Now, water can flow or it can crash. Be water my friend.
                - Bruce Lee

http://www.youtube.com/v/7m-SEdOKrE4...yer_detailpage

Comment

Working...
                X