Need Help Getting Started

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need Help Getting Started

I have two GPSMAPs -- a 176C and a 76. The cable I have is serial and I don't know if a serial-to-USB adapter would work or where to get one. My computers don't have a serial connection on the back.

My 176C has a MapSource data card (32MB) and I don't have CDs for MapSource per se -- just the MetroGuide U.S.A. Ver. 4.01 disks. Or is the MapSource software included in MetroGuide?

I want to download the basic map into my two units ... and become a contributor ... but I'm not sure if I'll be able to now.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Ted

Originally posted by Pneuma View Post
    I have two GPSMAPs -- a 176C and a 76. The cable I have is serial and I don't know if a serial-to-USB adapter would work or where to get one. My computers don't have a serial connection on the back.

My 176C has a MapSource data card (32MB) and I don't have CDs for MapSource per se -- just the MetroGuide U.S.A. Ver. 4.01 disks. Or is the MapSource software included in MetroGuide?

I want to download the basic map into my two units ... and become a contributor ... but I'm not sure if I'll be able to now.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Ted
    Hi Ted & welcome to Roadguide. My pc initially did not have a serial connection too but i managed to scrounge for 1 that's compatible with my pc & made it to work. But for the laptop (& in this case your pc) you can get the rs232 to usb cable adaptor available in most computer shops. A warning note though, be sure to test it first before buying as the one i got was more trouble than useful (causes my laptop to bluescreen crash). As for mapsource, you can download it here. But before loading the map to your gpsr, check first if it can accomodate the more than 15mb file size. If not, just install the map tile of your area.

If you've more questions fire away... HTH

Comment

Thanks very much! I look forward to getting started. I'll be back in touch.

Comment

I bought an inexpensive RS-232 to USB cable and the PC recognized the GPS as an "unknown device".

When I ran my old MapSource CD, which checked for a Garmin device, none could be found. I made sure the settings on the GPS were correct for communicating ... and I let the software check all 4 COMM ports ... but still the device was not found.

Not sure what to do now! Any suggestions (other than buying a new GPS)?

Thanks,

Ted

Comment

Originally posted by Borgie View Post
          A warning note though, be sure to test it first before buying as the one i got was more trouble than useful (causes my laptop to bluescreen crash).
          I bought an inexpensive RS-232 to USB cable and the PC recognized the GPS as an "unknown device".

When I ran my old MapSource CD, which checked for a Garmin device, none could be found. I made sure the settings on the GPS were correct for communicating ... and I let the software check all 4 COMM ports ... but still the device was not found.

Not sure what to do now! Any suggestions (other than buying a new GPS)?

Thanks,

Ted
          Please note my post above... AFAIK in this case, inexpensive adaptors might not work, as you found out. Lots of references in the net how this is a hit-and-miss thing with the cheap adaptors. Best to look for better (read: a bit more expensive but more on quality) adaptors and test it first before buying. And as i also suggested, ask around (computer shops or second hand/surplus shops) for the serial port. Most computer shops (when assembling) don't install them in new PC's as there's not much use for them anyways so maybe they might have some lying around, either new or second hand. If you have old PC's (well not really that old), check to see if it's serial is compatible with your PC and then maybe you can transfer/use that. IMO, the USB to serial adaptor (RS232) should be the second-to-the last resort, and only a must-have if you want to connect your GPS to your laptop... the last resort - go buy a new GPS...

Comment

USB-Serial adapters

I have years of experience using these adapters and sometimes what Ted describes does happen.

Here's what Microsoft says:

It’s possible it has not been correctly identified by Windows. Since it is a serial device, Windows may have identified it as a serial mouse. If so, it will be listed in Device Manager under ‘Human Interface Devices’.
            Microsoft says: To work around this problem, allow the device to be detected incorrectly, use Device
            Manager to disable the device that is not the port to which the device is attached, and then
            reboot your computer. When you do this, the port works correctly and the incorrectly
            detected device is disabled.

Try this and get back .. there are other mysterious things to do
            I stay on the leading edge of obsolescence!!
            "It seems to be a law of nature, inflexible and inexorable, that those who will not take risk cannot win" John Paul Jones

Comment

The store exchanged for one that works!

Great news! The first USB to RS232, which only had drivers for Windows 2000, was exchanged for one that does work with XP! It only cost me 280, so I'm pretty happy.

I had to fight and fight to get them to swap it, though. My fiancee (who they didn't know was with me) overheard them calling me an "animal" with "high blood". Hahahaha! I was very firm with the PC store over the fact they first sold me a product that would only work with Windows 2000!

In any case, I can communicate with both my 176c and 76. My next step is to download the map, which I'll do now.

I'm using a PC now, but is there any way I can use my Mac for this instead? Assuming I can connect (which the adapter says will work with Mac), is there proper software?

Thank you very much for your help!

Ted

Comment

Great news! The first USB to RS232, which only had drivers for Windows 2000, was exchanged for one that does work with XP! It only cost me 280, so I'm pretty happy.

I had to fight and fight to get them to swap it, though. My fiancee (who they didn't know was with me) overheard them calling me an "animal" with "high blood". Hahahaha! I was very firm with the PC store over the fact they first sold me a product that would only work with Windows 2000!

In any case, I can communicate with both my 176c and 76. My next step is to download the map, which I'll do now.

I'm using a PC now, but is there any way I can use my Mac for this instead? Assuming I can connect (which the adapter says will work with Mac), is there proper software?

Thank you very much for your help!

Ted
                Hi Ted.
                Im not a Mac user but I dug this up:
                http://www.roadguide.ph/forums/showthread.php?t=27
                FAQ for Newbies? Read here.

Comment

Working...
                X