GPSmap62st

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GPSmap62st

Hi - any other guys out their got one of these. I bought on in August and am having problems transferring contributor's map. I finally got 1.13 copied across by only selecting N. Luzon and Manila part of map. Now I am trying to transfer 1.14 and cannot get it to unlock maps. I know I have correct unlock code for the unit. I get nonsense messages such as map size is 31.6MB but only 2048 MB available - please select fewer maps. Doh!!!! I have tried the normal way through MapSource and also through the Garmin MapInstall program that comes with the unit. No success.

Getting frustrated - can anybody help?

On the plus side , I transferred 1.14 to my Zumo - no problem
    Last edited by JDCOOPERPH; 09-05-2010, 11:41. Reason: change Icon

Originally posted by JDCOOPERPH View Post
    Hi - any other guys out their got one of these. I bought on in August and am having problems transferring contributor's map. I finally got 1.13 copied across by only selecting N. Luzon and Manila part of map. Now I am trying to transfer 1.14 and cannot get it to unlock maps. I know I have correct unlock code for the unit. I get nonsense messages such as map size is 31.6MB but only 2048 MB available - please select fewer maps. Doh!!!! I have tried the normal way through MapSource and also through the Garmin MapInstall program that comes with the unit. No success.

Getting frustrated - can anybody help?

On the plus side , I transferred 1.14 to my Zumo - no problem
    Hi JDCOOPERPH, I don't have the 62st but I did get my Oregon 450 a couple of weeks ago and it seems that both models have the same problem with the RG 1.13j and 1.14 contri maps.

The way I'm figuring this now is that the newer models of Garmin may, or are not compatible yet with said RG maps. The only available RG map that will be accepted for now is the 1.07 basic.

Really sucks but for now, we just have to wait until solution for this is figured out by the gurus...

Comment

Thanks - I really feel better knowing that someone else has similar problem and that I am not being totally stupid. If I get a solution I will let you know. Strange I got it operating with part of the 1.13 map.

Comment

Another thought. My previous unit, the Zumo did not come with Mapinstall from Garmin. I wonder if that is causing the problem. Maybe we should delete Mapinstall?

Comment

Thanks - I really feel better knowing that someone else has similar problem and that I am not being totally stupid. If I get a solution I will let you know. Strange I got it operating with part of the 1.13 map.
          Southern and northern Luzon, and NCR maps will definitely be accepted by 1.13j - but once you include the other maps to the transfer to your device, that's it... you'll be asked to unlock the map. I didn't try this anymore with the 1.14.

As far as the little knowledge I have on this, I am still confident that the mapinstall is not the one responsible for the problems at all. My GPSMap 76CSx also was able to successfully take in the 1.14 map without a hitch.

Comment

Originally posted by Planetrk View Post
            Hi JDCOOPERPH, I don't have the 62st but I did get my Oregon 450 a couple of weeks ago and it seems that both models have the same problem with the RG 1.13j and 1.14 contri maps.

The way I'm figuring this now is that the newer models of Garmin may, or are not compatible yet with said RG maps. The only available RG map that will be accepted for now is the 1.07 basic.

Really sucks but for now, we just have to wait until solution for this is figured out by the gurus...
            Hi Planetrk

I'm also using Oregon 450. I have been able to transfer RG 1.13x maps to my GPSr and been using it for a month now.

Just today, i have successfully transfered RG 1.14 to my Oregon 450, it even includes the Phil Contour Map & OSM Map. Total map size is 322.8 MB. BTW I use Mapsource (6.13.17) to transfer those maps.

HTH
            Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—
            I took the one less traveled by,
            And that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

Comment

Originally posted by tanabe View Post
              Hi Planetrk

I'm also using Oregon 450. I have been able to transfer RG 1.13x maps to my GPSr and been using it for a month now.

Just today, i have successfully transfered RG 1.14 to my Oregon 450, it even includes the Phil Contour Map & OSM Map. Total map size is 322.8 MB. BTW I use Mapsource (6.13.17) to transfer those maps.

HTH
              This is promising news indeed tanabe! Thanks so much for that. I don't really know what is what but all these guessing game is not working well for me. I am using 6.15.7 and I certainly hope that this is the culprit. I'll try downgrading my software and hope that it will work as it did yours.

Be back for the feedback after I do this... Cheers tanabe!

Comment

I don't know if this will work or not, or if you have already tried it but here goes...

Have you tried generating the gmapsupp.img file on another device or in a USB stick then copied that to the 62st's MC? Or try copying the Zumo's v1.14 gmapsupp.img to the 62st's MC (assuming of course that the 62st is already unlocked in mapsource same as the zumo)... HTH

Comment

@tanabe, I'm back and its no good news for me. I did, from back to scratch, downgrade my mapsource to 6.13.7 - to no avail. How about telling us how you successfully did this on your device? Will be most appreciated.

@Borgie, in the meantime, I will try your suggestion to JDCOOPERPH and see if that'll work. I know that this will be a long process with my other unit but it should be worth it, no matter what... Thanks.

Comment

...am having problems transferring contributor's map. ...I am trying to transfer 1.14 and cannot get it to unlock maps. ...I have tried the normal way through MapSource and also through the Garmin MapInstall program that comes with the unit. No success...
                    I know you said "..and cannot get it to unlock maps" (and figured it might actually be the unit), but just wanted to ask whether you're using the latest mapsource or not? the mapinstall that came with the unit might also share the problem of the latest mapsource that doesn't like third-party maps. just a thought.
                    hth
                    ʇɐʞө uoʇµ!uɓ p∩ʇ ʍɐʎ bo!uʇƨ, ꞁөɐ٨ө uoʇµ!uɓ p∩ʇ pʁөɐq ⅽʁ∩wpƨ, ʞ!ꞁꞁ uoʇµ!uɓ p∩ʇ ʇ!wө.

Comment

tried a few more things.

a) copied 1.14 from my Zumo to mc in Zumo. Then put that mc in 62st. No good. 62st does not see map.
                      b) copied 1.14 in to mc in 62st - again does not see map.
                      c) copied (yet again) 1.07 directly onto 62st and again it does not even read that.
                      d) tried copying 1.07 onto mc and get not enough memory on card (4GB! card)

Soon going to have a competition to see how far I can throw 62st

Comment

Does 107 work when you send it with mapourse 6.13.x ?
                        (107 as in free map. Not the 107 contributors map. )

(Don't throw it just yet. Give it to me first hahaha)
                        How to get the upgraded map.

It's a sick world and I'm a happy man...

Comment

tried a few more things.

a) copied 1.14 from my Zumo to mc in Zumo. Then put that mc in 62st. No good. 62st does not see map.
                          b) copied 1.14 in to mc in 62st - again does not see map.
                          c) copied (yet again) 1.07 directly onto 62st and again it does not even read that.
                          d) tried copying 1.07 onto mc and get not enough memory on card (4GB! card)

Soon going to have a competition to see how far I can throw 62st
                          Try to re-install the units software? I've expirienced that solving similar issues on my device. HTH
                          Questions? Check Out The: "HOW TO"

Comment

Originally posted by jonatle View Post
                            Try to re-install the units software? I've expirienced that solving similar issues on my device. HTH
                            As for me, I have done the same as what JDCOOPERPH did. I also formatted my windows in mac, then reinstalled everything from fresh. To no avail... yes, I still couldn't unlock the map in my Oregon 450. Do I need a different unlock code for this new device of mine?

@Jan, with my unit, the 1.07 basic works with mapsource 6.13.7.

@tanabe, I hope you can let us know how you were able to successfully load the 1.14 in your O450 without the hitch we'd get...

Comment

Do u mean you tried to load the map without a specific unlock code for that gps? Best ask the judge for a new one and try again then.
                              How to get the upgraded map.

It's a sick world and I'm a happy man...

Comment

Working...
                              X