Kenwood DNX7140

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kenwood DNX7140

Am gonna need some help with this. Am planning to by a Kenwood DNX7140 2-din In-dash Entertainment/Nav receiver.

Would like to know how to add a map to this...am sure it has an SD card inserted into it. So I guess my question is do I load the map unto the SD card or do I do it in the receiver itself?

This is a tongue in cheek suggestion.

How about asking the shop you will buy the unit from to help you with the loading of the map? If they do not, then No sale, see what happens

My brother got Malsing maps and the free RG map installed from a shop in Singapore for our Nuvi 1350 because he asked them to.

Heck start with the free version first to test it out.

TTFN
    Arvin

Comment

Go to the Kenwood website and download the manual. I personally wouldn't put all my eggs on what the seller says it can and it can't do. Everything should be substantiated by the owner's manual.
      There's no place like 127.0.0.1

Comment

i have the DNX 7140...

It DOES NOT have the SD card. To install the map, you have to connect the unit itself to your PC. There's a mini USB port behind the unit wherein you can attach USB-Mini USB cable (just like the one we use on Nuvi units). Though let me remind you that the DNX 7140 uses the Garmin Mobile XT. Thats how I screwed up my unit. I tried loading the unit w/ the files on my Nuvi unit and when it didnt work, I accidentally erased all my files in the Garmin folder thus making my DNX 7140's GPS unit innoparable. Until now, I've been looking for some1 who has the same unit so I can copy their Garmin folder and install it on my unit. Hopefully that person is you!

Kidding aside, let me know if you do push with the purchase. I'll direct you to my installer. At least he has experience with the said unit. And before you tnker with any folders from the unit. BACK UP EVERYTHING.

Comment

Chocoboy,

It will be awhile before I get the unit (the new car is gonna have to come first hehehe). But thanks for the info.

And yes, I am more than willing to be that person to end your problem.

Oh btw, check your pm. Thanks.

Comment

Thanks gentlemen for your help...will be a bit cautious about this. Wouldn't want to make a mistake on an expensive unit.

Comment

FlyA,

Choco's suggestion as you mentioned is of course very important... before you do anything back up the files into your computer HDD, do remember to turn on the "show hidden files" so you also backup those hidden files.

I posted this suggestion on Choco's post, but will repost here.

Based on Chocoboy's post, that there is a mini usb port at the back, then just treat your unit as a big Garmin GPSR, turn everything on, turn the navigation on then plug in your laptop. Laptop should already have Mapsource preinstalled.

Try to access the garmin files using windows explorer and unhide hidden or system files and back them all up in your laptop. Then close windows explorer and open mapsource and hopefully mapsource will detect your unit, then just do the same thing as if you are loading maps onto a Nuvi unit. Select all the mapsets and send to unit. Hopefully it is that simple.

TTFN
              Arvin

Comment

Just a question sir, may I know where you bought the dnx7140?
                How much sir? Thanks!

Comment

bought my unit in the US. Roughly 50k pesos for everything including steering wheel control module, rear backup cam, frames etc...

FlyA, replied to your PM just in case you missed it.

Comment

Originally posted by arvin555 View Post
                    FlyA,

Choco's suggestion as you mentioned is of course very important... before you do anything back up the files into your computer HDD, do remember to turn on the "show hidden files" so you also backup those hidden files.

I posted this suggestion on Choco's post, but will repost here.

Based on Chocoboy's post, that there is a mini usb port at the back, then just treat your unit as a big Garmin GPSR, turn everything on, turn the navigation on then plug in your laptop. Laptop should already have Mapsource preinstalled.

Try to access the garmin files using windows explorer and unhide hidden or system files and back them all up in your laptop. Then close windows explorer and open mapsource and hopefully mapsource will detect your unit, then just do the same thing as if you are loading maps onto a Nuvi unit. Select all the mapsets and send to unit. Hopefully it is that simple.

TTFN
                    Arvin
                    Yes Arvin, its supposed to be that easy. But somehow I screwed up mine

Couldn't get my mapsource in my laptop to detect the unit. i think there's a way you should turn on the unit. its either you plug the laptop to your unit first before turning on the Nav or the other way around. Cant really experiment more on it since my unit's busted

Comment

I can't help but wonder why would Kenwood come up with the Garmin equipped stereo without the SD card slot. I got the Kenwood DNX6960 a few weeks back and it has the SD card slot. As such, installing the free RG map, or any map for that mater, is easy. I suggest that before buying, consider the other models. I got mine for $750 at Circuit City in NJ. The next higher model is the DNX9960 but it sells at $1200. Just a suggestion for would be buyers.

Comment

Originally posted by jamorales3 View Post
                        I can't help but wonder why would Kenwood come up with the Garmin equipped stereo without the SD card slot. I got the Kenwood DNX6960 a few weeks back and it has the SD card slot. As such, installing the free RG map, or any map for that mater, is easy. I suggest that before buying, consider the other models. I got mine for $750 at Circuit City in NJ. The next higher model is the DNX9960 but it sells at $1200. Just a suggestion for would be buyers.
                        does your kenwood run of cd/dvd or of flash memory?
                        what's the startup time like? (garmin software - signal acquisition)...
                        thanks
                        How to get the upgraded map.

It's a sick world and I'm a happy man...

Comment

i have the DNX 7140...

It DOES NOT have the SD card. To install the map, you have to connect the unit itself to your PC. There's a mini USB port behind the unit wherein you can attach USB-Mini USB cable (just like the one we use on Nuvi units). Though let me remind you that the DNX 7140 uses the Garmin Mobile XT. Thats how I screwed up my unit. I tried loading the unit w/ the files on my Nuvi unit and when it didnt work, I accidentally erased all my files in the Garmin folder thus making my DNX 7140's GPS unit innoparable. Until now, I've been looking for some1 who has the same unit so I can copy their Garmin folder and install it on my unit. Hopefully that person is you!
                          you can try updating your software (mobilext for DNX 7140) available for download at garmin website

hth

Comment

Originally posted by Jan View Post
                            does your kenwood run of cd/dvd or of flash memory?
                            what's the startup time like? (garmin software - signal acquisition)...
                            thanks
                            The DNX6960 has DVD, CD, USB port, iPod/iPhone connectors (which you can control using the touch screen), FM/AM radio, and of course the Garmin GPS. GPS Signal acquisition is almost instant (ave. 10 secs.). It's the first time use that took quite some time. maybe 20 mins. It can play the iPhone or radio while the GPS is in use. even the DVD is your car has the monitors at the back seats.

Comment

GPS Software Installer

Hello everyone, I just bought a Kenwood DNX-9960 Navigation (powered by Garmin) from the States and had it installed yesterday. I have no idea how to install the GPS maps, updates, etc. I don't know what Torrents are, Bit Torrents, etc...I still don't know how to download music, I know I live in the ice age.

Is there anyone out there that I can pay to install the Maps and updates in my Kenwood GPS unit?

I live in Makati but if you live close I can drive to your location.

I hope someone can help.

Best regards,

Sam

Comment

Working...
                              X