GPSmap 196 - Anyone??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GPSmap 196 - Anyone??

Hi All, has anyone used Mapsource with a GPSmap 196?

I have used it for years in Aviation mode, it has Land and marine Mode.

I just received my Garmin Memory Card 128Mb for it and stuck it in.

I loaded the roadguide.ph standard maps to map source, downloaded the maps to the device, took over an hour with the serial cable connected to a convertor. Download was stated as successful.

I cannot get the street maps to show up, only the aviation. Does not matter whether in land, Sea or Aviation Mode

Under Map Information, shows two maps, Pacific Routeable Highway and Pacific Intnl Aviation. I can turn these on or off at will. No other maps show.

Have Read the manual, YES I really did, and googled mapsource and GPSmap196 with no posts found AND I searched this Forum ..

Anyone with any suggestions?

Thanks

Mark
    ================================================== =======
    If it aint broke, don't fix it .......

YAWN: The only time when some married men ever get to open their mouth

Welcome to Roadguide. Looks like the GPSmap 196 is a pre-NT map series GPS (not so sure though) and since the RG map is already in NT format, your device cannot read it.

I browsed Garmin's website for the GPSmap 196 compatible maps https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=208&ra=true and it somehow confirms my suspicion... HTH

Comment

Hi Borgie

Excuse my ignorance, what is Pre and Post NT and if it is Pre Nt, does that mean that it can not be used with roadguide at all?

I guess the next question is what is the cutoff for NT? I have other GPs's but they are older than the 196 (it is 3 years, maybe 4 years old)

Thanks for educating a dumb pilot

Cheers

Mark

Comment

Borgie, I uploaded one of the MFM Maps, same problem. Either the GPS 196 has some problem, or it is the NT issue you mentioned. I also upgraded the software on the device to 4.6 with no difference.

I can only try and find an older version, pre NT, upload it and see if it sees that, if so, then the 196 is useless to me for roadguide.ph.

Cheers

Mark

Comment

Hio Borgie, Ok, I loaded up an older MFM map, and voila, it came right up on the 196 so Kudos to you for being correct

This begs the question, will Roadguide.ph ALWAYS be in teh newer format? Its is a shame as I went and spent quite a bit on memory cards, mounts, etc to do some mapping.

Might pay to put a sticky about this for others to read to save them falling into the same trap, or is there one and I missed it??

Appreciate your help and quick responses.

Cheers

Mark

Comment

Originally posted by pangitpilot View Post
            Hio Borgie, Ok, I loaded up an older MFM map, and voila, it came right up on the 196 so Kudos to you for being correct

This begs the question, will Roadguide.ph ALWAYS be in teh newer format? Its is a shame as I went and spent quite a bit on memory cards, mounts, etc to do some mapping.

Might pay to put a sticky about this for others to read to save them falling into the same trap, or is there one and I missed it??

Appreciate your help and quick responses.

Cheers

Mark
            it will always be in the NT format.

no need for a sticky imo. this issue has been discussed several times here already.

Comment

Working...
            X