60CSx backlight

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

60CSx backlight

hi sirs, i just got my 60CSx last week, i just want to ask if the backlight should turn on automatically when I switched the unit on? or should i always press the power button to light it up? because mine doesn't light up everytime i switch the unit on...

Originally posted by 5000rpm View Post
    hi sirs, i just got my 60CSx last week, i just want to ask if the backlight should turn on automatically when I switched the unit on? or should i always press the power button to light it up? because mine doesn't light up everytime i switch the unit on...
    Hi 5000rpm and welcome to roadguide. The backlight does not turn-on automatically when it is powered up. But you can press the power button when you want your display lit after the unit is turned on. However, when you are autorouting (navigating to a destination), any key press will turn-on the backlight. An important tip in powering up the 60CSx is to hold the power button (long press) until you hear the beep and see the welcome screen. I've read in some forums that pressing the power button quickly and repeatedly (when you do not see it lit-on) sometimes causes problems on the unit's system. Please read this for more tips http://roadguide.ph/forums/showthread.php?t=183. Better, join this group to learn more about the 60CSx, which btw, is Garmin's workhorse and all around GPS http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Garmin_GPSMap_60Cx_60CSx/. If you have more questions, ask away. Hope to see your contributions soon...

Comment

thanks for the fast reply sir borgie, i'm still in the stage of knowing my gps, also looking forward to contribute for the map.. thank you very much for the links sir..

Comment

You're welcome bro. I've found the 60csx to be very user friendly but you do need to use it often so you get the hang of it real quick + a little research on how to maximize it's use...

Comment

sir, does the 60Csx allow you to calculate the distance from point A to point B even if you're not in that area? let's say, while i'm here in the philippines, will the 60CSx able to compute the distance of a certain hotel in singapore to a certain restaurant or mall in singapore? i can't seem to make my gps do that.. thanks.. and one more thing, I just found out that our GPS only reads one map file at a time, have you ever tried using it while on a plane going to another country? were you also able to see the countries or places the plane has crossed?
          Last edited by 5000rpm; 08-03-2009, 19:29.

Comment

Originally posted by 5000rpm View Post
            sir, does the 60Csx allow you to calculate the distance from point A to point B even if you're not in that area? let's say, while i'm here in the philippines, will the 60CSx able to compute the distance of a certain hotel in singapore to a certain restaurant or mall in singapore? i can't seem to make my gps do that.. thanks.. and one more thing, I just found out that our GPS only reads one map file at a time, have you ever tried using it while on a plane going to another country? were you also able to see the countries or places the plane has crossed?
            You can. Go to the satellites page and turn-off the GPS first. Then press menu/new location/use map then pan the map to your desired location "point A". Go to the map page, pan the map to location "A" then look for point B. Save the location of point B by pressing enter. Since you've changed your location and the GPS thinks you're in point A, you can do a route simulation by routing to point B. But before doing it in demo mode, in the map page, change or add data fields so you get to see the "distance to destination" data field. Do a route simulation to point B and you get to see the distance from point A to point B.

The GPS does read only 1 map (the gmapsupp file) at a time, but you can combine different maps in Mapsource and send them to the GPS as 1 gmapsupp file. In the 60CSx, you have the option to select/deselect maps or have them both on. I haven't tried using a GPS on a plane going to another country mainly bec. i haven't had the opportunity to do so but if sponsor mo ako, i'll give it a try, . I've tried it though going to Manila and to Legaspi and found out that as long the GPS is not more than 2' away from a window, it can get good signals. And yup, i was able to see what areas/places were directly below us as we flew and was able to download the tracks later... HTH

Comment

great, i thought that i always have to rename the map file in order for me to use another map, thank you very much for the tip, will try it later.. really liking my 60Csx a lot now

Comment

Originally posted by Borgie View Post
                You're welcome bro. I've found the 60csx to be very user friendly but you do need to use it often so you get the hang of it real quick + a little research on how to maximize it's use...
                I have joined the bandwagon on this 60 csx considering the positive reviews of this model , just waiting someone going home to Phils. Got at at Ebay at USD 275 w/ free shipping . It's a used unit however believe to be more powerful in terms of features & applications. (looking forward to load V1.07C- If the judge will provide code

Comment

Originally posted by jspalaroan View Post
                  I have joined the bandwagon on this 60 csx considering the positive reviews of this model , just waiting someone going home to Phils. Got at at Ebay at USD 275 w/ free shipping . It's a used unit however believe to be more powerful in terms of features & applications. (looking forward to load V1.07C- If the judge will provide code
                  You have chosen well. T'was also the very good reviews that swayed me to the 60csx & it's reputation as a toughie. But for a used unit medyo mahal at $275 when you can get a new one for less than $290 at amazon.com with free shipping to a US address. Anyways it's water under the bridge... But i'm absolutely sure you'll enjoy mapping more with the 60csx...

Comment

You have chosen well. T'was also the very good reviews that swayed me to the 60csx & it's reputation as a toughie. But for a used unit medyo mahal at $275 when you can get a new one for less than $290 at amazon.com with free shipping to a US address. Anyways it's water under the bridge... But i'm absolutely sure you'll enjoy mapping more with the 60csx...
                    Hi Borgie, what's your experience using Eneloop batteries, my unit is due to arrive mid next month(waiting for someone to go back to Phils, that's the price of looking for cheaper price-but yes I think amazon is much cheaper and I should have bought from Amazon , at that price it's already brand new, mine is slightly use daw), with Eneloop last how many days before charging? btw cost of batteries was about Php 650 at cdr king4 pcs , 2000mAh rating and its ready to use daw. I did not bought charger as I have one already. Looking forward also to wandering tracks when at halt. Is yours comes with Sirf chip or Mtk? what the version of software?

Comment

Hi Borgie, what's your experience using Eneloop batteries, my unit is due to arrive mid next month(waiting for someone to go back to Phils, that's the price of looking for cheaper price-but yes I think amazon is much cheaper and I should have bought from Amazon , at that price it's already brand new, mine is slightly use daw), with Eneloop last how many days before charging? btw cost of batteries was about Php 650 at cdr king4 pcs , 2000mAh rating and its ready to use daw. I did not bought charger as I have one already. Looking forward also to wandering tracks when at halt. Is yours comes with Sirf chip or Mtk? what the version of software?
                      I've just recently switched to sanyo eneloops and i'd say in terms of battery consumption, it compares favorably with my previous rechargeables and no. of days usage depends on no. of hours used. Usually a newly charged nimh would last about 6-10 hrs, depending on how often you turn-on the backlight. My only gripe with the enloops is the sanyo charger. I can't seem to determine how long it takes for it to fully charge as the charging light does not go off even if charged for more than 12 hrs and the battery is hot to the touch already. What is the normal charging time for eneloops btw? Anybody? The one great advantage of eneloops is that even when stored, it drains very slowly (retains 80% of charge daw for a year) so you can be sure to have ready to use batteries in your electronic device. And this is great for digicams that are not used often. Manytimes, my digicam's batt goes kaput after a couple of shots because i forgot to check and charge the batts before using.

My 60CSx runs on Software version 3.60, GPS SW version 3.00. I think it has the sirf chip as advertised when i researched the unit. Regarding those wandering tracks, easiest solution is to turn off the satellites (not the gpsr) when stationary for a few minutes, then turn it on again before moving. This trick eliminates the wandering tracks. Hope your unit is "slightly" used and not refurbished. Refurbished units usually are returned defective units that Garmin repairs and sells again. Much bigger chance of getting lemons with refurbished units imo...
                      Last edited by Borgie; 09-22-2009, 23:34.

Comment

I've just recently switched to sanyo eneloops and i'd say in terms of battery consumption, it compares favorably with my previous rechargeables and no. of days usage depends on no. of hours used. Usually a newly charged nimh would last about 6-10 hrs, depending on how often you turn-on the backlight. My only gripe with the enloops is the sanyo charger. I can't seem to determine how long it takes for it to fully charge as the charging light does not go off even if charged for more than 12 hrs and the battery is hot to the touch already. What is the normal charging time for eneloops btw? Anybody? The one great advantage of eneloops is that even when stored, it drains very slowly (retains 80% of charge daw for a year) so you can be sure to have ready to use batteries in your electronic device. And this is great for digicams that are not used often. Manytimes, my digicam's batt goes kaput after a couple of shots because i forgot to check and charge the batts before using.

My 60CSx runs on Software version 3.60, GPS SW version 3.00. I think it has the sirf chip as advertised when i researched the unit. Regarding those wandering tracks, easiest solution is to turn off the satellites (not the gpsr) when stationary for a few minutes, then turn it on again before moving. This trick eliminates the wandering tracks. Hope your unit is "slightly" used and not refurbished. Refurbished units usually are returned defective units that Garmin repairs and sells again. Much bigger chance of getting lemons with refurbished units imo...
                        Hi Borgie, my unit finally arrived after long wait , I guess I need to update my software which is 3.30 and GPS SW version 2.90. I can see the big difference between a full pledge gps vs my Nuvi and was able to get a sattelite lock inside my room for maybe 2-3 mins. he he

Comment

Hi Borgie, my unit finally arrived after long wait , I guess I need to update my software which is 3.30 and GPS SW version 2.90. I can see the big difference between a full pledge gps vs my Nuvi and was able to get a sattelite lock inside my room for maybe 2-3 mins. he he

congrats jim on your new toy
                          Empty your mind, be formless. Shapeless, like water. If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle and it becomes the bottle. You put it in a teapot it becomes the teapot. Now, water can flow or it can crash. Be water my friend.
                          - Bruce Lee

http://www.youtube.com/v/7m-SEdOKrE4...yer_detailpage

Comment

Originally posted by hbt View Post
                            congrats jim on your new toy
                            Tnx a lot, it will save me some trouble removing my Nuvi in my car. Now Using the 5.17 version. Will our TYP(Suntz) and Rally can be use in my unit without affecting other mapsets (our 1.9B)?

Comment

Tnx a lot, it will save me some trouble removing my Nuvi in my car. Now Using the 5.17 version. Will our TYP(Suntz) and Rally can be use in my unit without affecting other mapsets (our 1.9B)?

you can use any typ. typ is just the theme, it wont mess up anything. just remember to put it in the proper folder(just in case) an open it there
                              Empty your mind, be formless. Shapeless, like water. If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle and it becomes the bottle. You put it in a teapot it becomes the teapot. Now, water can flow or it can crash. Be water my friend.
                              - Bruce Lee

http://www.youtube.com/v/7m-SEdOKrE4...yer_detailpage

Comment

Working...
                              X