very disapointed with nuvi 255w

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

very disapointed with nuvi 255w

before i bought my 255w i have two choices, the 205 and the 255w, of course we all know that the two units are virtually identical except for the voice-prompted feature of the 255w, so i decided to pay a bit more for the voice-prompted feature and got the 255w, now that i already download the standard map, the voice prompted doesnt work, it only says "left" or "right" but i expect that it will say also some streetnames like other nuvi units, can i do something to resolve this problem. . .

Originally posted by deadlyelegance View Post
    before i bought my 255w i have two choices, the 205 and the 255w, of course we all know that the two units are virtually identical except for the voice-prompted feature of the 255w, so i decided to pay a bit more for the voice-prompted feature and got the 255w, now that i already download the standard map, the voice prompted doesnt work, it only says "left" or "right" but i expect that it will say also some streetnames like other nuvi units, can i do something to resolve this problem. . .
    Did you check your firmware version? Are you using the latest? if not try updating it via webupdater

Comment

For a while there i thought you were very disappointed because you got a lemon or something was seriously wrong with your nuvi 255. Hope you can update us if you'll be able to resolve this...

Comment

The 255W does have Text-To-Speech (TTS) capability to pronounce street names and POIs. Just make sure you've set it up to any of the voices that speaks English (American, Australian, and British English) and make sure it has "(TTS)" at the end.

Go to Tools>Setup>Language>Voice and set it to any of the English voices with TTS.

If you don't see any voices with TTS, you can get them through Webupdater. You can download this utility at the Garmin website.
        Last edited by oj88; 11-11-2009, 19:10.
        There's no place like 127.0.0.1

Comment

I have the 255. I guess it's basically the same with the 255w? Anyways, my unit says the streetname. I'm sure of this because i remember the first time i tried it, my wife and i were laughing when it said turn right on "kateepyoonan" avenue. And when it said laaangka street. I was still on the standard map then. Might be a settings problem. It also says the distance to the turn. Like drive 600m and turn right on kateeepyoonan avenue

Comment

Same here, I also have the 255W (from 265WT, which I broke). It also speaks street names. Did you get your nuvi locally? from the States? If bought locally and if every option fails (like updating the firmware), try to exchange it with another unit and see what happens.

Comment

re speak street name

hi, try to set voice to american english- Jack/ Jill

Comment

Originally posted by elx221 View Post
                hi, try to set voice to american english- Jack/ Jill
                Be sure to update to so Jill speaks better :-)

Comment

I have a nuvi 255w and it speaks the street names. Double check your settings.

Comment

go to tools>settings>language >voice> american english-Jack (TTS) or american english-Samantha(TTS) ......... British/ Australian English...... choose those with (TTS)

Comment

yeah, it's fixed already its just the settings, sorry for being impatient. . .

Comment

Working...
                      X