Text to Speech Nuvi GPS - works in Phi?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Text to Speech Nuvi GPS - works in Phi?

Does text to speech US Nuvi capable models work with Philippine map? I mean will it actually say Edsa or Shaw Blvd? Just curious... -Lex
    [FONT="Comic Sans MS"][COLOR="Blue"]GPS - Greatest invention since sliced bread![/COLOR][/FONT]

that is a gps unit dependent issue and not per se map related.
    Yes the maps here will allow that, whether your gps does is another matter.
    How to get the upgraded map.

It's a sick world and I'm a happy man...

Comment

text to speech (spoken street names) on my nuvi 260W works fine in phil maps here. Jane (female voice) isn't from the region tho...so she says..."turn right on J P Rahyzal street"....very amusing..

cheers,

pagkaogok

Comment

Wonder how Magsaysay, or Majayjay would sound like...

Originally posted by pagkaogok View Post
        text to speech (spoken street names) on my nuvi 260W works fine in phil maps here. Jane (female voice) isn't from the region tho...so she says..."turn right on J P Rahyzal street"....very amusing..

cheers,

pagkaogok

Comment

Go to YOUTUBE>COM and search Garmin Manila. See how the turn-by-turn direction works!

Comment

Originally posted by trailblazer View Post
            Wonder how Magsaysay, or Majayjay would sound like...
            pronounces it as spelled and 'americanized'....thus minnesota dr in anchorage becomes minnesota doctor....alabang-zapote is alabang-zapot...santa rosa spelled sta rosa is starosa. and in cebu M.C. Briones becomes...macbryans

Comment

It actually works quite well. I have a Garmin 265WT and the text to speech is faring better than expected in Manila. I suppose when you get to the provinces things may get a bit worse as the local dialect names become more common.

In Manila it pronounces I estimate 80% of the time, which is just the same as when I was using it in the US where it couldn't even pronounce "Los Angeles" correctly!

Comment

+1

After I finally received my unit a while back I tried simulation mode and I was amazed how it got most names correctly. In Brooklyn some streets are being pronounced funny and some "street (st)" is translated to "es-tee". And "bridge" (br) is translated to "bee-R". I guess if the aberration is entered correctly with a period it gets it properly.

Originally posted by Term][natoR View Post
                It actually works quite well. I have a Garmin 265WT and the text to speech is faring better than expected in Manila. I suppose when you get to the provinces things may get a bit worse as the local dialect names become more common.

In Manila it pronounces I estimate 80% of the time, which is just the same as when I was using it in the US where it couldn't even pronounce "Los Angeles" correctly!
                [FONT="Comic Sans MS"][COLOR="Blue"]GPS - Greatest invention since sliced bread![/COLOR][/FONT]

Comment

Nuvi 255

Garmin said that the nuvi 255 has TTS, but apparently not all of the models have it. Unfortunately I'm one of them that has it.

Anybody could help me? I would really like to add TTS on my 255.

Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by wilfy819 View Post
                    Garmin said that the nuvi 255 has TTS, but apparently not all of the models have it. Unfortunately I'm one of them that has it.

Thanks!
                    The Garmin website specifies that the 255 has TTS. Take a look at your voices folder and check if there are any voice files with "(TTS)" in the file name. If there is none, download some at Garmin's website or use Webupdater. HTH.

Comment

255 europe does not have TTS. The ones sold in HK are mostly europe models and dont have TTS. a friend of mine who recently bought a 255 didnt have tts.

tts is fun to have. but it can get talkative :lol:

Comment

Originally posted by wilfy819 View Post

Thanks!

Garmin Nuvi 255 comes in two variation models. the nuvi 255 and the nuvi 255T. if you purchase the just nuvi255, it really doesnt have TTS,traffic info and details features. the nuvi255T has it.

Comment

my friend ordered a 255t european model and it doesnt have tts as well

Comment

Originally posted by antonboq View Post
                            my friend ordered a 255t european model and it doesnt have tts as well
                            what he got probably be the nuvi225 european one not the 255 traffic sat nav for i have tried to use the 255 with TTS before i let it pass to my brother. advise your friend to check if it is the correct unit handed to him by the store after all i think both units are of the same price .. that is how it is here in ireland.

Comment

hehehe hassle nga eh. i am certain its a "t" variant but ill ask again. according to a thread in gpspassion, there was a limited run of 255t europe that didnt have TTS

Comment

Working...
                              X