• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i sometimes use my psp usb cable or my nokia cable all working wit my gps

Comment

Originally posted by RRM0221 View Post
      Hi Reiji. Mine does not work.

Would me being in Windows 7 have anything to do with it? I already tried a number of USB cables (even for the Blackberry) but still cannot connect.
      how about drivers for your gps?

Comment

if you have security lock, try to unlock the security after plugging the usb
        Empty your mind, be formless. Shapeless, like water. If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle and it becomes the bottle. You put it in a teapot it becomes the teapot. Now, water can flow or it can crash. Be water my friend.
        - Bruce Lee

http://www.youtube.com/v/7m-SEdOKrE4...yer_detailpage

Comment

I have Win7 on both my work and home computers. No problems syncing with my Nuvi.

You may want to check the drivers as sinned have mentioned. Also, it would also cause all sorts of problems when you're Windows login account does not have admin privileges.
          There's no place like 127.0.0.1

Comment

Hi guys. Thanks for the feedback.

@hbt : I checked my security lock, and it is OFF

@oj88: I couldn't verify if the drivers are correct since the PC does not indicate that there is a device plugged-in. I also do have ADMIN access.

In the case that I might have a faulty USB port, is there a way I can update the maps using an SD Card?

Comment

@sinned : Thanks for the feedback as well. I did try a PSP cable and still would not work. Also couldn't get the PC to recognize that there is a device plugged in. However, it does charge.

Comment

@oj88: I couldn't verify if the drivers are correct since the PC does not indicate that there is a device plugged-in. I also do have ADMIN access.

In the case that I might have a faulty USB port, is there a way I can update the maps using an SD Card?
                Have you tried your USB port(s) for anything else other than your Nuvi? Does it work?

Was your PC/Laptop hardware detected by Win7 completely? On-board USB ports are integrated with the motherboard chipset. If you don't have the correct set of drivers for the specific chipset, USB ports as well as gadgets connected to them most likely will not work.

Uploading the map to an SD card will require a USB card reader or the Nuvi itself. But if your USB port isn't working properly to start with, you'll be facing the same problem.

Comment

Hi oj88. I have tried the USB ports for my PSP and my external drive as well. Both works fine.

Too my desperation, I had the Nuvi looked at by an electronic repair guy. Apparently, the USB port on the NUVI was disconnected from the board. Some connections had to be re-soldered.

Now it works fine. Updated my software and am playing around with other features.

Thanks for all those who responded.

Comment

^ That's good to know.

Comment

Would me being in Windows 7 have anything to do with it? I already tried a number of USB cables (even for the Blackberry) but still cannot connect.
                      I am using Windows 7 Ultimate. No problems whatsoever. Works perfectly. It charges, syncs, and charge-and-navigate.

Comment

just wondering... why don't you use the usb cable that came with your unit.

Comment

@ravewave : I found out it was not it the Operating System. The usb port on the garmin was disconnected from the board.

@Liv : That was the first USB I tried. I thought that it was just the cable, so I tried different ones. Apparently it was the port on the unit itself.

I already had it re-soldered.

Thanks for trying to help guys.

Comment

@ravewave : I found out it was not it the Operating System. The usb port on the garmin was disconnected from the board.

@Liv : That was the first USB I tried. I thought that it was just the cable, so I tried different ones. Apparently it was the port on the unit itself.

I already had it re-soldered.

Thanks for trying to help guys.
                            RRM - who is that electronics guy? he would definitely be helpful someday to fix my nuvi. been really abusing my unit lately. hehehehe

Comment

@ravewave : I actually brought it to a place where they repaired cellphones and PSP. The process took 30mins to finish. But worth it.

Comment

The 'USB Mini B' connecter on Garmin Nuvi, Oregon and GPSMAP 62 GPS, has 2 functions:-

1) Data Connection to PC
                                2) Power to GPS Navigator, and to recharge internal battery

Wiring diagram pinout to place Garmin Nuvi, Oregon and GPSMAP 62 GPS in recharge mode.

Pin#....Name.......Description

1 ........+5V.........5 volts DC
                                2 .......data ........not connected / float
                                3 .......data ........not connected / float
                                X ........ ID .........connected to pin 4 (GND) with 17.3K ohm resistor
                                4 .......GND .........ground

Standard 5 pin mini-USB connector has pin X connect to ground (pin 4) through a 200K ohm resistor (Note: The normal USB connector has only 4 pins, the mini-USB has 5 pins).

To place Nuvi into charging mode, the 200K ohm resistor must be changed to 17.3K ohm. (also successful with 22K ohm resistor from Radio Shack, also a cheap 1/8W, 5%, 15k ohm resistor will work just fine!)

Nuvi behavior depends on mini-USB plug connection.

(IMHO) it is like this:
                                pin X not connected - data cable, nuvi connects to PC as removable drive, navigation NOT possible.
                                pin X & 4 short-circuited - USB supply 500mA, possible navigation,
                                pin X & 4 connected through 18kOhm resistor - Garmin supply 1A, possible navigation.
                                pin X & 4 connected through 22kOhm resistor - Garmin supply 500mA, possible navigation.

I personally modified a cable that connected pin X to pin 4 (shorted), and verified the 500 mA charge behavior as noted above.

Nuvi requires 1000mA for simultaneous charging + GPS operation [many 'generic' 12VDC-to-USB adapters output a maximum 500mA]

Garmin Oregon
                                requires a resistor of at least 47K ohm for running in external power supply mode (100K ohm also works). Smaller values are working, too, but Oregon then first shows a message that an unsupported accessory was found.

GPSMAP 62:
                                pin X not connected - data cable, GPSMAP 62 connects to PC as removable drive.
                                If it fails because it is connected to your car battery, it switches to external power supply mode after several seconds.

pin X & 4 connected through 47k Ohm resistor - GPSMAP 62 switches to external power supply mode immediately without waiting.

See Thread 'Power packs for your garmin'

I posted some information on Solar Charger with 2000mAh Internal Battery that can be used to charge/extend the Battery Life of your Garmin Nuvi.

My posts after than go into creating a cable that can Power the Garmin and allow Navigation at the same time (ie does not go into PC Connect Mode).

Since such 'USB Mini B' cable connector, into the Garmin Nuvi, requires Pin #5 (or 'X') one needs to use the 12V Power Cable supplied with the Nuvi or find a cable/'USB Mini B connector with a Pin #5 connector.

I describe how I cut the cable on my Garmin 12V Power Adapter cable, and inserted 'USB A Female' to the 12V Adapter end, and a 'USB A Male' with a 1/8 Watt 20kOhm resistor inserted between Pin #3 and #4

This arrangement allows the Garmin Nuvi with its special Power Cable having that White wire from Pin #5 on the 'USB Mini B' to connect to Pin #4 (GND) via inserted 20kOhm Resistor to be used on any USB Power Source.

Some USB Mini B Cables/Tip Adaptors do have a 200kOhm Resistor between Pin #5 (Garmin USB ID Volt sensor, which effects i) 'USB Device' Description, and ii) 'I Limit' for Battery Charging) that and Pin #4 (GND).

Another alternative that I can suggest, is to buy a CDR King USB Cable
                                KL-USBMINI5P-60cm
                                USB AM/MINI USB5P
                                Php 30.00

My reason for buying / suggesting such USB Cable, being:-

i) low price,
                                ii) short molded body length,
                                iii) not fully 'shielded' (no metal cover over upper part of the USB Mini 'B' plug)

If one is careful with a small craft knife, it is possible to cut open a 'flap' in the top of the molded plastic of the USB Min B connector, and scrape away at the rubberized 'fill' to expose Pin #5 and the Pin #4 below it and to the left. If you are skilled at soldering, you may then be able to connect a 15K Ohm Resistor between these Pins, making sure the black wire remain connected to pin #4.

I actually cut the molded plastic of the USB Min B connector, in such a way that when I completed adding the 1/8 W Resistor, the Cable Strain relief would go off to the Right @ 90 Degrees (the standard Garmin 12V Power cable is 90 degree Up)

I use this Diagram from 3brpowersports.com for the definition on 'USB Mini B' Angle Direction.

They make USB Cables that will Power up Garmin GPS navigators and have waterproof connections, if you don't feel up or skilled enough, to modifying a Php30 Cable from CDR King

Last edited by Britster; 02-05-2012, 21:10.

Comment

Working...
                                X