Nuvi 765 Problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nuvi 765 Problem

My unit's a little under a year old. Bought in Singapore. AFAIK, the problem started to manifest itself while I was in Brunei last Feb.

What happened was, it started off with "disconnections" from my laptop while it was connected via USB. It would "disconnect" then sort of reboot. That went on for a couple of days. Until it came to a point where it just disconnected and went on reboot but wasn't able to finish loading anymore. I figured, maybe it was not being charged via my usb port anymore and just went battery flat. Tested it with the usb wall charger, it would boot but it would just go up to the part where it says, "loading maps". I've also tried to reset it (pressing on the lower left while booting), it would get me through the reset screen and dialogs, but after it reboots, it just gets hung up in the "loading maps" part. The progress bar indicator also differs from time to time. The most was about 80% towards booting.

I have also tried leaving it "on charge" (as I can't see whether it's really charging or not since it's frozen) 'coz maybe it's just a flat battery.

During the holy week, after I got approval for local leave while we were on standby for a project here in the Philippines, managed to test it again using the cradle and charger in my car back in the province. Still no luck. It still freezes up to the "loading maps" section.

Anybody got any idea for now? What's happening? Anything. TIA.

NB: I can't bring it to InfoMax MegaMall just yet as I am currently offshore again. And I can't bring it back to Singapore just yet until this job's done.
    ʇɐʞө uoʇµ!uɓ p∩ʇ ʍɐʎ bo!uʇƨ, ꞁөɐ٨ө uoʇµ!uɓ p∩ʇ pʁөɐq ⅽʁ∩wpƨ, ʞ!ꞁꞁ uoʇµ!uɓ p∩ʇ ʇ!wө.

Originally posted by B2Bomber View Post
    My unit's a little under a year old. Bought in Singapore. AFAIK, the problem started to manifest itself while I was in Brunei last Feb.

What happened was, it started off with "disconnections" from my laptop while it was connected via USB. It would "disconnect" then sort of reboot. That went on for a couple of days. Until it came to a point where it just disconnected and went on reboot but wasn't able to finish loading anymore. I figured, maybe it was not being charged via my usb port anymore and just went battery flat. Tested it with the usb wall charger, it would boot but it would just go up to the part where it says, "loading maps". I've also tried to reset it (pressing on the lower left while booting), it would get me through the reset screen and dialogs, but after it reboots, it just gets hung up in the "loading maps" part. The progress bar indicator also differs from time to time. The most was about 80% towards booting.

I have also tried leaving it "on charge" (as I can't see whether it's really charging or not since it's frozen) 'coz maybe it's just a flat battery.

During the holy week, after I got approval for local leave while we were on standby for a project here in the Philippines, managed to test it again using the cradle and charger in my car back in the province. Still no luck. It still freezes up to the "loading maps" section.

Anybody got any idea for now? What's happening? Anything. TIA.

NB: I can't bring it to InfoMax MegaMall just yet as I am currently offshore again. And I can't bring it back to Singapore just yet until this job's done.
    hi kuya,
    its me again. hehehe
    i thinks the battery is bye bye.
    buy a battery for your 760.
    theres a video on you tube on how to replace a battery(give you idea how its done). you'll have to replace the battery sooner or later. right
    Empty your mind, be formless. Shapeless, like water. If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle and it becomes the bottle. You put it in a teapot it becomes the teapot. Now, water can flow or it can crash. Be water my friend.
    - Bruce Lee

http://www.youtube.com/v/7m-SEdOKrE4...yer_detailpage

Comment

That was my first thoughts too. And I've seen posts re these videos before (though, I haven't seen the videos themselves) and others regarding batteries. But, could it possibly be really due to the battery?
      I mean, I know I got the unit dirt cheap (I'm assuming it's just because of the IT show) but the battery couldn't have died on me in little less than a year, right? Besides, shouldn't it go on mains power once I've got it running on the charger or the cigarette-lighter powered cradle?
      If it is the battery, then I do really hope I'd still be able to drop by Singapore while the warranty's still valid.
      ʇɐʞө uoʇµ!uɓ p∩ʇ ʍɐʎ bo!uʇƨ, ꞁөɐ٨ө uoʇµ!uɓ p∩ʇ pʁөɐq ⅽʁ∩wpƨ, ʞ!ꞁꞁ uoʇµ!uɓ p∩ʇ ʇ!wө.

Comment

if its too cheap, Refurbished maybe? how much did you pay for it?
        Empty your mind, be formless. Shapeless, like water. If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle and it becomes the bottle. You put it in a teapot it becomes the teapot. Now, water can flow or it can crash. Be water my friend.
        - Bruce Lee

http://www.youtube.com/v/7m-SEdOKrE4...yer_detailpage

Comment

That was my first thoughts too. And I've seen posts re these videos before (though, I haven't seen the videos themselves) and others regarding batteries. But, could it possibly be really due to the battery?
          I mean, I know I got the unit dirt cheap (I'm assuming it's just because of the IT show) but the battery couldn't have died on me in little less than a year, right? Besides, shouldn't it go on mains power once I've got it running on the charger or the cigarette-lighter powered cradle?
          If it is the battery, then I do really hope I'd still be able to drop by Singapore while the warranty's still valid.
          When was the unit purchased? Have you tried doing a hard reset or reflashing to the latest firmware?

Comment

@HBT: I bought it from NaviCom's booth during last year's IT show in Singapore for about SGD 450++ (Its Singapore SRP last year was around SGD600++) -- plus free dashboard mount, neoprene pouch and screen protector.
            @MFB: If I'm not mistaken, it's gonna be a year since I bought it either on May or June -- it could be the latter. Let me check my receipt (if I have it) when I get the chance to go back to my cabin. BTW: TIA for the Taiwan RMA offer. Re: Hard reset: is the pressing on the lower right of the screen the reset you're referring too? if so, yes, tried that. Firmware flash, well, if I remember right, I went against firmware flashing based on what I read in MSM and MFM -- i.e. I didn't need the flash.

Comment

@HBT: I bought it from NaviCom's booth during last year's IT show in Singapore for about SGD 450++ (Its Singapore SRP last year was around SGD600++) -- plus free dashboard mount, neoprene pouch and screen protector.
              @MFB: If I'm not mistaken, it's gonna be a year since I bought it either on May or June -- it could be the latter. Let me check my receipt (if I have it) when I get the chance to go back to my cabin. BTW: TIA for the Taiwan RMA offer. Re: Hard reset: is the pressing on the lower right of the screen the reset you're referring too? if so, yes, tried that. Firmware flash, well, if I remember right, I went against firmware flashing based on what I read in MSM and MFM -- i.e. I didn't need the flash.
              Check out this:
              http://garmin.blogs.com/my_weblog/20...-power-on.html

http://iqc.garmin.com/eCustomer/KODS...00000000000%7D

Could it be your case?
              Last edited by jonatle; 04-12-2010, 02:18.
              Questions? Check Out The: "HOW TO"

Comment

this one's closer to my scenario - ...will not boot up past the Loading Maps screen...
                sigh, just when I left my unit back home...
                ... anyway, I didn't notice whether my PC could still see it as a storage device, if it can, I might try this solution when I get back home... hope it works. for the mean time, all other suggestions are still welcome.

BTW: thanks for the subtle reminder to use the "support" link of Garmin.
                Last edited by B2Bomber; 04-12-2010, 10:19.

Comment

managed to check whether my unit can still be seen as a storage device... unfortunately, not.

Comment

managed to check whether my unit can still be seen as a storage device... unfortunately, not.
                    Have you tried using another PC or laptop?

Comment

First of all, to those who lent a hand on this problem: thank you very much for the support.

Secondly, my Garmin Nüvi765's fixed already! As some of you may be aware, I liaised with Garmin Taiwan and was almost about to send it to Taiwan for repair but an opportunity presented itself when I had to pass by Singapore to have my regular offshore medical checkup before heading for a project in Thailand. So, I left my 765 with Navicom and the following week after my short stint in Thailand, gave them a ring to follow up the status of my unit. Initially they said it's not yet fixed, but a couple of hours later, the tech called me up and says it's ready for pick up. I went there today and they showed me the unit (in GPS off mode, ofcourse) just to show that it's booting up again, etc. When I asked what was the problem, he said it's hard to explain. So I said, try me (didn't bother telling him what I do offshore anymore ) and he managed to muster "The firmware crashed the system.". So I guessed when it got updated using the webupdater, or maybe dashboard (can't really remember) the updater pulled the firmware for the US--version 765. Dunno. As long as my 765's working now... only drawback is I'm outside RG.Ph territory. I guess will have to contribute to the local mapping communities for the mean time.

Lesson Learned: don't install blindly firmwares or atleast turn off autoupdate if it's available.

And -- thanks again to everyone.

PS: @Borgie - I guess I missed your last post, yes I did try a different laptop/pc
                      PS2: The guy also reckons I should not use Emily...
                      Last edited by B2Bomber; 06-22-2010, 23:26.

Comment

Good day to all! I just got a Nuvi 765 from a friend which (luckily) also have the same problem as the TS. Unfortunately i dont have the capacity to go off/on shore

Is there anybody who has the same problem and already fixed their unit?

Sorry to hi-jack your thread TS but I think this is the right forum for this matter.

Thank you and God Bless us all.

Comment

Originally posted by Ninjette250R View Post
                          Good day to all! I just got a Nuvi 765 from a friend which (luckily) also have the same problem as the TS. Unfortunately i dont have the capacity to go off/on shore

Is there anybody who has the same problem and already fixed their unit?

Sorry to hi-jack your thread TS but I think this is the right forum for this matter.

Thank you and God Bless us all.
                          1. See whether the local distributors/dealers can do something about it.
                          2. See whether MFB can do something with your unit.
                          3. Liaise with Garmin Taiwan (if your unit is asian version -- but then, maybe they can do something about it too even if it's not the "localized" version as the guys from Sg put it) and opt for your unit to be sent to Taiwan.
                          4. I could probably help you get it serviced at Navicom in Singapore but you'd have to wait til I get back in another two month's time for you to hand me the unit, wait for another month for me to get called to report for work again (and hopefully I get to pass by Singapore and have time to drop it off Navicom's office) and then another two-three more months to wait til my next days off.

HTH and welcome to RG.Ph.
                          Last edited by B2Bomber; 06-23-2010, 16:19.

Comment

Working...
                          X