The Official Nuvi 205W Owner's Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Official Nuvi 205W Owner's Thread

just wanted to open this thread for all fellow 205W owners so we can share notes about our unit. i am very happy with it so far

i have been using it the past 2 weeks and the last week in tokyo, mt fuji and hakone areas.

the japan street map was very accurate and i was able to input some points of interest around the areas i was in

Good idea. I also own a Nuvi 205W. So far so good.

Comment

just want to share with my fellow owners.

i use a travel charger to charge my nuvi at home. the one i am using has the following specs: input: AC 100-240V, 50/60Hz; output: DC5V +/- 0.02V, DC 500ma +/- 30ma

charges the nuvi without any problems. while charging, i turn it off and the screen just says "charging the battery"

Comment

Count me in. Also a satisfied Nuvi 205w user.

Comment

Originally posted by iceColdgin View Post
          just want to share with my fellow owners.

i use a travel charger to charge my nuvi at home. the one i am using has the following specs: input: AC 100-240V, 50/60Hz; output: DC5V +/- 0.02V, DC 500ma +/- 30ma

charges the nuvi without any problems. while charging, i turn it off and the screen just says "charging the battery"

Question sir: how would you know if it's already fully charged? any indication on the screen?

Comment

Just received my 205w yesterday. Updated the firmware (with success!) awhile ago. I noticed it has an incomplete map of the Philippines featuring only major roads.

Comment

Originally posted by garmine View Post
              Question sir: how would you know if it's already fully charged? any indication on the screen?
              good question. frankly, there appears to be no indicator that the unit is fully charged

what i do is that once the low battery warning is on, i try to drain the power of the unit then i charge it overnight and the next day it is good to go. the caveat is that i dont know if this will be harmful to battery life in the long run

Comment

Originally posted by iceColdgin View Post
                good question. frankly, there appears to be no indicator that the unit is fully charged

what i do is that once the low battery warning is on, i try to drain the power of the unit then i charge it overnight and the next day it is good to go. the caveat is that i dont know if this will be harmful to battery life in the long run
                afaik... it'll destroy it if its NiCd. but if it a lithium then i think it will automatic shut off if it reaches full
                Empty your mind, be formless. Shapeless, like water. If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle and it becomes the bottle. You put it in a teapot it becomes the teapot. Now, water can flow or it can crash. Be water my friend.
                - Bruce Lee

http://www.youtube.com/v/7m-SEdOKrE4...yer_detailpage

Comment

Originally posted by thisthick View Post
                  Just received my 205w yesterday. Updated the firmware (with success!) awhile ago. I noticed it has an incomplete map of the Philippines featuring only major roads.
                  welcome to roadguide

please read the FAQ FOE NEWBIES inside the HOW TO section
                  Empty your mind, be formless. Shapeless, like water. If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle and it becomes the bottle. You put it in a teapot it becomes the teapot. Now, water can flow or it can crash. Be water my friend.
                  - Bruce Lee

http://www.youtube.com/v/7m-SEdOKrE4...yer_detailpage

Comment

Originally posted by hbt View Post
                    afaik... it'll destroy it if its NiCd. but if it a lithium then i think it will automatic shut off if it reaches full
                    just revisited the specs of the 205W. the battery is a rechargeable lithium-ion. i got the information here: https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?...13432#specsTab

Comment

guys i'm new at this. i registered on myGarmin and after registering my product it is telling me that there is a newer version of the software available.....is it ok to update? or is this like what happned with our wii where it got bricked when it was upgraded online.

Comment

Originally posted by madjohn View Post
                        guys i'm new at this. i registered on myGarmin and after registering my product it is telling me that there is a newer version of the software available.....is it ok to update? or is this like what happned with our wii where it got bricked when it was upgraded online.
                        yep, it is okay to update the software. i also did the same thing

Comment

ok updating now )

Comment

happy owner of 205W. it rocks!

wonder anybody has a tagalog voice prompt?

Comment

can't install ecoroute

I'm new. Need help with installing ecoroute on my nuvi... I want to install ecoroute to my nuvi so I downloaded webupdater from the garmin website and installed it. So i ran the application and it says there that there are no updates for my device but i haven't installed the ecoroute yet. Can anybody help?

Comment

Working...
                              X