Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by oj88 View Post
    I beg to disagree.

I'm guessing that it has more similarities with the 8xx series nuvi's (with voice recognition factory-disabled, of course) than it is with 2xx series.
    With all due respect sir oj88 ,

will it not seem odd for garmin to put " voice recognition" ( added cost ) then factory disable it to a unit ?

furthermore, if your pc read it as a 800 series , can you try webupdater if it will install the software for the 8x5 series of sw ver 4.70 ? (2x5 series is ver 6.40 )

Comment

Originally posted by mms View Post
      With all due respect sir oj88 ,

will it not seem odd for garmin to put " voice recognition" ( added cost ) then factory disable it to a unit ?

furthermore, if your pc read it as a 800 series , can you try webupdater if it will install the software for the 8x5 series of sw ver 4.70 ? (2x5 series is ver 6.40 )
      I know what you mean. But I don't find it odd for manufacturers to use similar designs from higher-end models to be used on their low-end line-ups. To some extent, this actually saves them money on R&D. They just change/skip certain components, load it up with a slightly different firmware, effectively crippling certain features, and finally passing it off as a lower-end model. Intel, for one, has been doing it for decades.

In a manufacturing scenario, I would say that the cost difference in making the 2xx series vs an 8xx series would just be tens of dollars. But on retail, they'll probably be more like 100 dollars apart. Garmin, as with most manufacturers would want the most market coverage with as little investment as possible. So instead of designing another low-end model from the ground up, they borrow designs that are already existing and just skip out on certain parts and/or features and then just slap on a "new" model number.

It came as a surprise to me as well. Unfortunately, the 265wt is no longer with me. It belonged to a Taiwanese instructor whom I helped install the free rg map while he was here for 2 weeks. That was about the time I noted the voice issue I mentioned above.
      There's no place like 127.0.0.1

Comment

It came as a surprise to me as well. Unfortunately, the 265wt is no longer with me. It belonged to a Taiwanese instructor whom I helped install the free rg map while he was here for 2 weeks. That was about the time I noted the voice issue I mentioned above.
        Thank you sir for your information

the unit you handled is probably a 265wt TWN , the voice is a bit different from a US version 2x5 series...( software versions of the voice )

Comment

Guys, whats the point of all this? If you want the non robotic voice on a low end model its not goin to happen. Lets not compare higher end to lower end and expect the same. That's why its priced higher, there must be a difference.

The webupdater will not properly identify Units for the non us market. That may be the reason why it didnt recognize the twn nuvi. Same thing happens to my 1470 TWN but of course, its expected.

To know what model you have, just look at the back. :-) Its also inside when you start it up.

Comment

Originally posted by mms View Post
            all 2x5 series share the same Hotfix feature , voice you can change/update software of the voice .... did you compared (voice of )same versions of the 265w and 255w ?
            That is why I asked from the start " same versions "

Comment

Originally posted by MFB View Post
              Guys, whats the point of all this? If you want the non robotic voice on a low end model its not goin to happen. Lets not compare higher end to lower end and expect the same. That's why its priced higher, there must be a difference.
              Not a big deal, really. Just making conversation.

Then again, the 255W, which is older and priced lower, has better voice quality than the newer 265wt.

Just saying.

Comment

Not a big deal, really. Just making conversation.

Then again, the 255W, which is older and priced lower, has better voice quality than the newer 265wt.

Just saying.
                And they still all talk like robots. haha Its only as good as the vpm file too. It will never say Makati the way it should.

There are other models to choose from, whatever floats your boat.

Comment

Originally posted by MFB View Post
                  And they still all talk like robots. haha Its only as good as the vpm file too. It will never say Makati the way it should.

There are other models to choose from, whatever floats your boat.
                  Again, it's not the way it pronounces words as intended. I'm talking about more on the software or hardware glitch to cause the voice to appear jittery. Did you get to listen to the file I attached several posts up? It sounded like the Nuvi 265wt has a cold.

Again, no big deal on this. I've already returned the 265wt to its owner. I use a 255W (with a female British-English voice selected), which pronounces words very smoothly... as evidenced in the sample files I uploaded.

Here it is again in case download was restricted: http://rapidshare.com/files/39738718...mples.rar.html
                  Last edited by oj88; 06-10-2010, 18:00.

Comment

Working...
                  X