Repair/Salvage a broken 760

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Repair/Salvage a broken 760

My nuvi 760 fell from my dashboard mount recently and sustained a cracked screen. The unit still displays the menu and maps correctly however I am no longer able to input anything as the touchscreen/digitizer? no longer responds.

Is there any way this can be salvaged or repaired here in Metro Manila? If possible, would really prefer to avoid getting another unit.

Thanks.

Originally posted by StarSlayer View Post
    My nuvi 760 fell from my dashboard mount recently and sustained a cracked screen. The unit still displays the menu and maps correctly however I am no longer able to input anything as the touchscreen/digitizer? no longer responds.

Is there any way this can be salvaged or repaired here in Metro Manila? If possible, would really prefer to avoid getting another unit.

Thanks.
    i think the cost would be almost like buying a new one.

well....just in case, dont forget to remove and keep the battery
    Empty your mind, be formless. Shapeless, like water. If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle and it becomes the bottle. You put it in a teapot it becomes the teapot. Now, water can flow or it can crash. Be water my friend.
    - Bruce Lee

http://www.youtube.com/v/7m-SEdOKrE4...yer_detailpage

Comment

Thanks.
      http://roadguide.ph/forums/showpost....16&postcount=2

http://cgi.ebay.com/4-3-LCD-Screen-T...item27afaabdb4

http://cgi.ebay.com/GARMIN-NUVI-Nuvi...item5ada178324

If you like to make diy repairs, this might be a good option.

Comment

Thanks.

what really happened? asking just so i know how to avoid this..

Comment

Thanks, Pokz. will try out your recommendations.

Mizuxy: The suction cup used for attaching to the windshield or dashbosrd mount no longer adheres well. Tumagal ng mga 1 year before humina yung suction.

Comment

Is that the original suction cup that came with the unit? Mine got detached too a couple of weeks ago due to heat I guess. Good thing it landed on the leather shifter cover. At least once week we should detach it and moisten the underside of the cup.

Comment

I remove it every time I park under the sun

Comment

Originally posted by afrasay View Post
                Is that the original suction cup that came with the unit? Mine got detached too a couple of weeks ago due to heat I guess. Good thing it landed on the leather shifter cover. At least once week we should detach it and moisten the underside of the cup.
                Thanks, Pokz. will try out your recommendations.

Mizuxy: The suction cup used for attaching to the windshield or dashbosrd mount no longer adheres well. Tumagal ng mga 1 year before humina yung suction.
                or it could be a result of accumulated dirt. if the rubber is still flexible, try to clean it using soap and water.

i do remove my suction cup when i don't use it to prolong its lifespan.

Comment

Originally posted by afrasay View Post
                  happened to me twice already, what i did is clean the suction cup AND put a very little of water then put it back.

Comment

You can have that sent to Garmin taiwan for repair. It takes about a month, max. I can help you have that sent and shipped back. Cost depends on what Garmin charges depending on what needs to be replaced.

Comment

Best to remove the suction cup from the glass. Those on the discs normally last longer. Bili na lang ng replacement suction cup.

Comment

Thanks to all who provided inputs specially those who suggested links for the replacement part. Just an update, was able to order a digitizer from ebay. $6 lang yung part. Unfortunately, DHL and additional duties from customs added around $35 to the total cost. The unit has now been repaired and working na ulit.

Comment

Frozen Screen; Need Help

Originally posted by MFB View Post
                          You can have that sent to Garmin taiwan for repair. It takes about a month, max. I can help you have that sent and shipped back. Cost depends on what Garmin charges depending on what needs to be replaced.
                          Help! My screen is frozen and I can't do anything except turn the unit off and reset it. I have the Nuvi 680 but unlike the previous post, mine was working ok this morning and when I parked, I left it the whole day inside the glove compartment. When it was time to go home, I re-connected it and it turned on but the screen no longer respond to any finger press! This at a time when I've just spent a fortune on the car. Hayzzz! Do you have any suggestions? How much do you think this'll cost me if I send this over to Taiwan?

Comment

Originally posted by Blisterpak View Post
                            Help! My screen is frozen and I can't do anything except turn the unit off and reset it. I have the Nuvi 680 but unlike the previous post, mine was working ok this morning and when I parked, I left it the whole day inside the glove compartment. When it was time to go home, I re-connected it and it turned on but the screen no longer respond to any finger press! This at a time when I've just spent a fortune on the car. Hayzzz! Do you have any suggestions? How much do you think this'll cost me if I send this over to Taiwan?

try to charge the battery 1st
                            Last edited by hbt; 12-21-2010, 23:55.
                            Empty your mind, be formless. Shapeless, like water. If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle and it becomes the bottle. You put it in a teapot it becomes the teapot. Now, water can flow or it can crash. Be water my friend.
                            - Bruce Lee

http://www.youtube.com/v/7m-SEdOKrE4...yer_detailpage

Comment

Originally posted by hbt View Post
                              gl

try to charge the battery 1st
                              then try to slide power to "on" position and hold it there for 10-20 sec.

Comment

Working...
                              X