Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Suction Cup Tips

Suction Cup Tips

Over the years I've become really good at getting GPS suction cup mounts to stick, and I've learned quite a few tricks along the way. Often you can just take the mount out of the box, press it up against the windshield, and drive away. Other times you might not be so lucky. If your suction cup has lost its suck, and you are beginning to think the mount sucks, here are some tips.

Clean Dry Surfaces Work Best
    Make sure both the inside of the suction cup and your windshield are clean and dry. To clean both surfaces, I like to use rubbing alcohol since it tends to dry quickly, although glass cleaners will work well too. Particularly if your mount has recently fallen you might see a "ring around the mount" on your windshield. So make sure both surfaces are clean and dry.

Temperature Can Have an Impact Too
    If your mount has been inside your air conditioned home and you take it out to your car which is 130° baking in the sun, you might not have optimal results. You may want to wait until morning when your car is cooler and closer to the temperature of the mount. The more similar the temperatures are between the mount and windshield, and the closer those temperatures are to "room" temperature, the better results you will have.

A Little Moisture Can Help Keep the Seal
    I know, I know, I just said above that you should keep both surfaces clean and dry, but that was referring to whatever you might have used to clean the cup. A tiny bit of water (not drenched) on the suction cup can help it keep the seal. Spread the drops of water around with your finger. If no water is handy and nobody is looking, a little spit can work well too. A tiny bit of Petroleum Jelly (aka Vaseline) can work really well too. The key is to not get too much moisture... just barely enough to coat the surface. Again, whatever you use, use a tiny amount and try to spread it around with your finger to just barely coat the entire surface.

Apply Firm Pressure and Hold
    Find your target on the windshield, press it on, and apply firm pressure to the center of the mount. What you are doing, and want to do, is to push all of the trapped air between the mount and the windshield out from behind the mount. Kinda like squishing the air from a whoopie-cushion but there will be no sound. Try not to let the mount slide (if it slides easily you might have used too much moisture) and keep firm pressure for about fifteen seconds.

Drive Happy, Keep a Cloth in Your Car
    Using this process should ensure a good seal and make your mount stick. Don't forget that thieves know what GPS mounts look like and if they see one in your car, they might break in to look for the GPS. The same even goes for the "ring around the mount" left on your windshield. Even finding that ring might give them enough incentive to break-in looking for the GPS you are hiding in the center console or glove compartment, so keep a cloth handy to wipe away any signs of the GPS if you must leave your car unattended.
    Last edited by hbt; 07-20-2010, 11:33.
    Empty your mind, be formless. Shapeless, like water. If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle and it becomes the bottle. You put it in a teapot it becomes the teapot. Now, water can flow or it can crash. Be water my friend.
    - Bruce Lee

http://www.youtube.com/v/7m-SEdOKrE4...yer_detailpage

Originally posted by hbt View Post
    Suction Cup Tips

Over the years I've become really good at getting GPS suction cup mounts to stick, and I've learned quite a few tricks along the way. Often you can just take the mount out of the box, press it up against the windshield, and drive away. Other times you might not be so lucky. If your suction cup has lots its suck, and you are beginning to think the mount sucks, here are some tips.

Clean Dry Surfaces Work Best
    Make sure both the inside of the suction cup and your windshield are clean and dry. To clean both surfaces, I like to use rubbing alcohol since it tends to dry quickly, although glass cleaners will work well too. Particularly if your mount has recently fallen you might see a "ring around the mount" on your windshield. So make sure both surfaces are clean and dry.

Temperature Can Have an Impact Too
    If your mount has been inside your air conditioned home and you take it out to your car which is 130° baking in the sun, you might not have optimal results. You may want to wait until morning when your car is cooler and closer to the temperature of the mount. The more similar the temperatures are between the mount and windshield, and the closer those temperatures are to "room" temperature, the better results you will have.

A Little Moisture Can Help Keep the Seal
    I know, I know, I just said above that you should keep both surfaces clean and dry, but that was referring to whatever you might have used to clean the cup. A tiny bit of water (not drenched) on the suction cup can help it keep the seal. Spread the drops of water around with your finger. If no water is handy and nobody is looking, a little spit can work well too. A tiny bit of Petroleum Jelly (aka Vaseline) can work really well too. The key is to not get too much moisture... just barely enough to coat the surface. Again, whatever you use, use a tiny amount and try to spread it around with your finger to just barely coat the entire surface.

Apply Firm Pressure and Hold
    Find your target on the windshield, press it on, and apply firm pressure to the center of the mount. What you are doing, and want to do, is to push all of the trapped air between the mount and the windshield out from behind the mount. Kinda like squishing the air from a whoopie-cushion but there will be no sound. Try not to let the mount slide (if it slides easily you might have used too much moisture) and keep firm pressure for about fifteen seconds.

Drive Happy, Keep a Cloth in Your Car
    Using this process should ensure a good seal and make your mount stick. Don't forget that thieves know what GPS mounts look like and if they see one in your car, they might break in to look for the GPS. The same even goes for the "ring around the mount" left on your windshield. Even finding that ring might give them enough incentive to break-in looking for the GPS you are hiding in the center console or glove compartment, so keep a cloth handy to wipe away any signs of the GPS if you must leave your car unattended.
    Thanks for the tip as usual, so kuya , may we know your conclusion? I know you like friction mount I have tried friction mount unfortunately it does NOT fit on the area where you intend to put the mount in the dashboard of vehicle (tip-depends on your vehicle, make sure it fits in the area of your dashboard before buying)
    Last edited by jspalaroan; 06-28-2010, 22:55.

Comment

Originally posted by jspalaroan View Post
      Thanks for the tip as usual, so kuya , may we know your conclusion? I know you like friction mount I have tried friction mount unfortunately it does fit on the area where you intend to put the mount in the dashboard of vehicle (tip-depends on your vehicle, make sure it fits in the area of your dashboard before buying)
      bean bag friction mount is the best for me. ( not the rectangular rubber type)

i got it from Bugs Bunny
      Empty your mind, be formless. Shapeless, like water. If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle and it becomes the bottle. You put it in a teapot it becomes the teapot. Now, water can flow or it can crash. Be water my friend.
      - Bruce Lee

Comment

Yodaman kuya bai when it comes to suction tips...

Comment

Originally posted by Borgie View Post
          Yodaman kuya bai when it comes to suction tips...

wait... i sense that this phrase is a 2 way street

hmmmm..... i feel the force
          - Bruce Lee

Comment

Never had a problem with my suction cup in over 15 months of use. The only two ounces of prevention I ever do is to remove it when I'm about to park my car under the sun and to point one of the A/C louver at the GPS.

If I may also add to the list of tips:

Make sure that the mounting surface is flat AND smooth. Any surface that is porous, textured, or uneven (ie. if the suction cup is attached at the edge of your windshield tint, or between joints of two sheets of tint), the vacuum will most likely leak, causing your GPS to come crashing down seconds or minutes later.
            There's no place like 127.0.0.1

Comment

do not put the suction mount where there is tint, it would create bubble on the tint and you dont want that. (sad to say my tint where the mount was placed has bubbles and its not pretty yo look at)

Comment

Originally posted by rixxer View Post
                do not put the suction mount where there is tint, it would create bubble on the tint and you dont want that. (sad to say my tint where the mount was placed has bubbles and its not pretty yo look at)
                look at my post number 3 of this thread
                - Bruce Lee

Comment

Originally posted by hbt View Post
                  look at my post number 3 of this thread
                  Koya, how does this look like?

Comment

Originally posted by rixxer View Post
                    Koya, how does this look like?

well... it will just create an air fill oval dome on your tint. i just got lucky and manage to return it to original state.

2 options:
                    either you cut the dome and use that place for your nuvi suction cup or cut a small hole on the dome to let the air out and press to seal it.
                    well the third option is obviously a friction mount.

i'll try to post picture when and if i remember hehehe
                    - Bruce Lee

Comment

i use suction disk attached to the dashboard
                      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by elkabong View Post
                        the thing with these stickies on the dashboard is there will come a time that it will leave a mark

my 0.02
                        - Bruce Lee

Comment

tint in the wiindscreen will loose or pop up if you mount your suction cup there.

hth

Comment

Originally posted by elkabong View Post
                            I use the suction disk but instead of peeling the sticker, I use Blu-tack. It holds well even on rough roads.
                            Last edited by Walter; 07-16-2010, 19:27.

Comment

if you have two or more cars and a bike you might wanna use this.
                              3m Dual Lock/heavy duty velcro

http://www.shop.cbr-forum.org.uk/v3/images/blocks.jpg
                              http://www.roc-noc.com/images/P/DualLock_applied.jpg

hth
                              Last edited by teamsicnarf; 07-17-2010, 01:17.

Comment

Working...
                              X