Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Current.gpx problem

hi Everyone,

I would like to know if someone here would know how to fix the Current.gpx file in the GPS unit. Everything in the unit works fine but when I try to open the file in Mapsource to get my tracks and waypoints, I am getting an error from Mapsource saying : "E:\Garmin\GPX\current.gpx is not a valid Mapsource file and could not be opened"

I am very hesitant to delete the Current.GPX because there are over a hundred "sentimental" waypoints in there are almost a thousand plus km of tracks.

Please help and thanks in advanced.

Regards,
    Jay

Originally posted by ravewave View Post
    hi Everyone,

I would like to know if someone here would know how to fix the Current.gpx file in the GPS unit. Everything in the unit works fine but when I try to open the file in Mapsource to get my tracks and waypoints, I am getting an error from Mapsource saying : "E:\Garmin\GPX\current.gpx is not a valid Mapsource file and could not be opened"

I am very hesitant to delete the Current.GPX because there are over a hundred "sentimental" waypoints in there are almost a thousand plus km of tracks.

Regards,
    Jay
    I can open my current.gpx file exported from XT in mapsource without any problems. In XT, did you click "export" first before trying to open your current.gpx in mapsource? HTH

Comment

hi Everyone,

Regards,
      Jay
      i tried that too before. and had the same result as yours. i guess you can't open it directly from the device drive.
      i suggest you trasfer it first to your pc using mapsource "transfer" then open it in the folder of your pc (and not from device). HTH

Comment

forgot to mention that when i click on the icon in mapsource which is "get from device" something, it is giving me an error. tomorrow, i will see what error it is and send it. i think my current.gpx is corrupted.

Comment

forgot to mention that when i click on the icon in mapsource which is "get from device" something, it is giving me an error. tomorrow, i will see what error it is and send it. i think my current.gpx is corrupted.
          "get from device" won't work in Mapsource as this command is applicable only for PNDs like Nuvs and the Garmin handhelds. As i posted, you need to use the export command in XT (in your cellphone) then just extract/copy the current.gpx file in your PC so that you can open it in Mapsource... HTH

Comment

Originally posted by Borgie View Post
            "get from device" won't work in Mapsource as this command is applicable only for PNDs like Nuvs and the Garmin handhelds. As i posted, you need to use the export command in XT (in your cellphone) then just extract/copy the current.gpx file in your PC so that you can open it in Mapsource... HTH
            Hi Borgie,

Sorry for the lack of info. This is for my nuvi 760. Before I can just drag and drop the file from my GPS unit to PC and also use the "Receive from Unit" icon in Mapsource. I have done some research and they are saying that it has to do with the XML programming or something like that.

Thanks,
            Jay

Comment

RaveWave it might be that your Current.gpx XML is not "well formed" you might be missing a tag or something... Did you try to edit it manually? One way to check an XML document for well formedness is through these websites

http://www.w3schools.com/Dom/dom_validate.asp
              http://www.xml.com/pub/a/tools/ruwf/check.html

Also make sure you don't have routing information stored in your Current.gpx... only certain models can do that. E.G. Garmin Nuvi 855 can store routes max of 10.

If you're garmin is capable of reading up to 10 routes then it might be you have more than 10. Delete the extra routes.

Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by silverrain View Post
                RaveWave it might be that your Current.gpx XML is not "well formed" you might be missing a tag or something... Did you try to edit it manually? One way to check an XML document for well formedness is through these websites

http://www.w3schools.com/Dom/dom_validate.asp
                http://www.xml.com/pub/a/tools/ruwf/check.html

Also make sure you don't have routing information stored in your Current.gpx... only certain models can do that. E.G. Garmin Nuvi 855 can store routes max of 10.

If you're garmin is capable of reading up to 10 routes then it might be you have more than 10. Delete the extra routes.

Hi Silverrain,

Your solution is I think very close to my problem. When I get home from work, I will try it immediately. I think I do have more than 10 Routes saved in the current.gpx file. Will delete some of those and retry exporting it to Mapsource.

Thanks,
                Jay

Comment

Jay, unfortunately Garmin made a mistake(deliberately?) of limiting the routes it can store in the Current.gpx to 10 for 7xx and 8xx series.

If you want more than 10 routes, you can place them in a separate GPX file, say for example MyRoutes.GPX... you can import them later through the My Data menu...

At one time, only 10 routes can be active in the GPS (meaning navigable)... if you have 15 routes for example... at the end of the 10th route, you must delete 5 active routes and load the remaining 5 from your My Data...

I don't know why Garmin made it this way... Current.GPX occupies only a few KB. They could have made the limit at least 100 routes don't you think?

Be sure to make your file extension all in CAPS... Garmin don't like .gpx files, it prefers .GPX

Comment

Hey!! Silverrain.. good news.. it worked.. Thank you very much

Comment

Working...
                    X