Nuvi 205w

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nuvi 205w

Hello! i just bought a Garmin 205w. I'ld like to use it here in the philippines. How do I go about this? I'm not techie. Can someone please give me a tutorial from connecting the unit to the PC to downloading whatever is required. What cables do I need (would a usb cable for external hard drive be used)? Do I still need to put memory card? Please help... Thanks!!!

goldgonzalez

Originally posted by goldgonzalez View Post
    Hello! i just bought a Garmin 205w. I'ld like to use it here in the philippines. How do I go about this? I'm not techie. Can someone please give me a tutorial from connecting the unit to the PC to downloading whatever is required. What cables do I need (would a usb cable for external hard drive be used)? Do I still need to put memory card? Please help... Thanks!!!

goldgonzalez

heres the step by step on how to do it: http://roadguide.ph/forums/showthread.php?t=1526

yes usb cable foir ext. hard drive can be used. why when you buy the unit doesnt it comes with a usb cable?

you dont need to put memory card coz the garmin drive has enough space for the phil. map

BTW.. welcome to roadguide
    Empty your mind, be formless. Shapeless, like water. If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle and it becomes the bottle. You put it in a teapot it becomes the teapot. Now, water can flow or it can crash. Be water my friend.
    - Bruce Lee

http://www.youtube.com/v/7m-SEdOKrE4...yer_detailpage

Comment

Im planning to get a Nuvi 205w too. Do you recommend this model to a newbie like me? By the way I ride a motorcycle and I plan on installing it on a tank bag with map holder.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeoforms View Post
        Im planning to get a Nuvi 205w too. Do you recommend this model to a newbie like me? By the way I ride a motorcycle and I plan on installing it on a tank bag with map holder.
        Nuvi is designed for automobiles but can be use and quite ok for a starter but be sure to have a good mounting. See link below but these are Zumo models designed for bikes (but expensive).

http://roadguide.ph/forums/showthread.php?t=229

See link below of Nuvi mounted on mountain bike.

http://roadguide.ph/forums/showthread.php?t=2443

You might want to consider a handheld units (like 60 csx etc. smaller screen.) if you are just interested on the tracks but it will be difficult to see the screens in during your actual ride.

Btw , welcome to Roadguide.

Comment

Originally posted by jspalaroan View Post
          Nuvi is designed for automobiles but can be use and quite ok for a starter but be sure to have a good mounting. See link below but these are Zumo models designed for bikes (but expensive).

http://roadguide.ph/forums/showthread.php?t=229

See link below of Nuvi mounted on mountain bike.

http://roadguide.ph/forums/showthread.php?t=2443

You might want to consider a handheld units (like 60 csx etc. smaller screen.) if you are just interested on the tracks but it will be difficult to see the screens in during your actual ride.

Btw , welcome to Roadguide.
          Thanks

I found this on the web . Is this possible with the nuvi 205w? One more thing, can I use it while charging?

Comment

From the looks of it I still prefer the Nuvi to be installed in the handle bar but that's just me. We use our Nuvi connected with the cigarette charger.

Comment

There are some units that are Bluetooth ready, just don't know exactly which ones. The advantage for this is that you can theoretically link your Nuvi to a bluetooth headset and hear the Text To Speech instructions. I have no first hand experience with all that though.

If your bike has a 12V power that one can tap into and connect to the Garmin cigarette charger system, then sure you can. I wonder if some of the bikes actually have 12V charging system for cellphones and stuff already. Yes even with dedicated GPSRs, you should think of a way of keeping them charged during your trip or a way to charge them. Mine only lasts around 4 hours or so without charging.

TTFN
              Arvin

Comment

Yes it looks and safer to connect it to the handle bar. I will get that Ram thing once I get hold of the Nuvi.

Bikes don't have a cigarette charger but its easy to install one because bikes are also equipped with a 12v battery. In fact I plan on installing one on Saturday.

Comment

Originally posted by arvin555 View Post
                  There are some units that are Bluetooth ready, just don't know exactly which ones. The advantage for this is that you can theoretically link your Nuvi to a bluetooth headset and hear the Text To Speech instructions. I have no first hand experience with all that though.
                  yes thats right.
                  you can hook it up with your phone. thats why some poi have phone numbers which you can call thru your gps unit. gps unit can act as hands-free phone.
                  for cars, it has interface also with h.u. so tts can be heard over it.
                  just check on unit's specs if its bluetooth-ready.
                  FAQ for Newbies? Read here.

Comment

Working...
                  X