Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

how to unlock nuvi...

gud day
    i have a new maps, and viewd it on mapsource..
    and send it to device(garmin nuvi 285)
    when i turned on my nuvi, a mesage can't unlock maps appear...
    and cant view the new maps...

Originally posted by marksman View Post
    gud day
    i have a new maps, and viewd it on mapsource..
    and send it to device(garmin nuvi 285)
    when i turned on my nuvi, a mesage can't unlock maps appear...
    and cant view the new maps...

which map is this?
    Empty your mind, be formless. Shapeless, like water. If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle and it becomes the bottle. You put it in a teapot it becomes the teapot. Now, water can flow or it can crash. Be water my friend.
    - Bruce Lee

http://www.youtube.com/v/7m-SEdOKrE4...yer_detailpage

Comment

can't unlock maps

Originally posted by hbt View Post
      which map is this?
      i'm not marksman but i've got the same problem.
      when i plug the nuvi into my computer and open mapsource, then utilities/map management, i see;
      - pc basemap (not lockable)
      - philippines routable 5.17 (not lockable)
      - roadguide contributors map (unlocked)

then i do a map transfer to the nuvi and according to mapsource, i've successfully transferred the maps to the nuvi but when i disconnect the nuvi from computer and turn on the nuvi, i get a ''can't unlock maps'' message.

in the nuvi, when i go to Tools > Settings > Map > Map Info, i don't see any maps but CN north america NT 2020.10.

last time this happened, i searched online and found a discussion online (not roadguide) that said to delete the gmapsupp.img which deleted the demo map i had in the nuvi which was the only map i had on the nuvi at the time. but, there were no more ''can't unlock maps'' messages.

so i reloaded the maps to the nuvi again and get the ''can't unlock maps'' message.

i think i've read most everything on the forum and searched online, gone to the garmin site and back to go. any ideas from the pros on the forum?

thanks guys and gals...
      norm )~

Comment

Originally posted by kelpguy View Post
        i'm not marksman but i've got the same problem.
        when i plug the nuvi into my computer and open mapsource, then utilities/map management, i see;
        - pc basemap (not lockable)
        - philippines routable 5.17 (not lockable)
        - roadguide contributors map (unlocked)

then i do a map transfer to the nuvi and according to mapsource, i've successfully transferred the maps to the nuvi but when i disconnect the nuvi from computer and turn on the nuvi, i get a ''can't unlock maps'' message.

in the nuvi, when i go to Tools > Settings > Map > Map Info, i don't see any maps but CN north america NT 2020.10.

last time this happened, i searched online and found a discussion online (not roadguide) that said to delete the gmapsupp.img which deleted the demo map i had in the nuvi which was the only map i had on the nuvi at the time. but, there were no more ''can't unlock maps'' messages.

so i reloaded the maps to the nuvi again and get the ''can't unlock maps'' message.

i think i've read most everything on the forum and searched online, gone to the garmin site and back to go. any ideas from the pros on the forum?

thanks guys and gals...
        norm )~
        thats right gmapsupp file of demo map should be deleted first.
        FAQ for Newbies? Read here.

Comment

can't unlock maps

Originally posted by Reiji0463 View Post
          thats right gmapsupp file of demo map should be deleted first.
          thanks Reiji0463...
          ok, i deleted the gmapsupp.img file and checked the nuvi to see if the contributors map was there and i still only see CN north america NT 2020.10. so i opened mapsource and tried to send the maps to the garmin but now i get a message telling me i have to ''select maps or create waypoints, routes or tracks.''

this is a new ''problem'' for me. before, when i chose, ''send to device'', it opened a window, found the novi, selected maps and i clicked send. what's up with that?

thanks again...

Comment

The "new problem" might just be a step or two that was forgotten please do the following:

Method 1.Using mapsource
            connect gps to pc.

start mapsource, select mapset (contributor map 1.17) you wish to send to gps.

zoom out until you see all the maps which you want to load to the gps (push ctrl and minus together for zoooming out the complete region).

select the map tool by mouse or click m.

click each map you want or sweep over all the maps to load them.

they should change colour.

then select the send to device, wait till he pc finds the gps, then click send.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>.

If the above does not help, maybe you have the same problem as Koz, please check here:

http://roadguide.ph/forums/showthread.php?t=3341&page=4

Good luck!
            Last edited by arvin555; 11-11-2010, 22:29.

Comment

@kelpguy - please check your unit id that you gave the judge, then check the key that the judge gave you.
              you have to input the right key at the mapsource unlock wizard
              Empty your mind, be formless. Shapeless, like water. If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle and it becomes the bottle. You put it in a teapot it becomes the teapot. Now, water can flow or it can crash. Be water my friend.
              - Bruce Lee

Comment

can't unlockmap

Originally posted by hbt View Post
                @kelpguy - please check your unit id that you gave the judge, then check the key that the judge gave you.
                you have to input the right key at the mapsource unlock wizard
                hi jan...
                thanks for stepping in again. i can't believe all the trouble i've had getting this thing to work. i get around on the net, in my hard drive and software with no problems but this has brought me to my knees (more than once).

just to be clear, mapsource shows my contributor map as unlocked, it's the nuvi that gives me the ''can't unlock maps'' message and doesn't list the contributors map under Tools > Settings > Map > Map Info. i only see CN north america NT 2020.10.

you wrote;
                >you have to input the right key at the mapsource unlock wizard.

- are you referring to this page? < https://my.garmin.com/maps/unlockMaps.htm>

- does the nuvi/device have to be registered with garmin to use the fils maps?

if so, i need:
                Device Serial Number: is that the 9 digit number on the barcode sticker on the back of the unit?
                Product Key/Coupon Code: what's this and where do i find it?

thanks again...
                norm

Comment

[QUOTE=arvin555;43965]The "new problem" might just be a step or two that was forgotten please do the following:

Method 1.Using mapsource
                  connect gps to pc.

start mapsource, select mapset (contributor map 1.17) you wish to send to gps.
                  < snip>

thanks arvin, i've been thru that several times with no problems. i also went to the link you suggested and found nothing new there. back to the um... drawing board.

Comment

hi jan...
                    thanks for stepping in again. i can't believe all the trouble i've had getting this thing to work. i get around on the net, in my hard drive and software with no problems but this has brought me to my knees (more than once).

just to be clear, mapsource shows my contributor map as unlocked, it's the nuvi that gives me the ''can't unlock maps'' message and doesn't list the contributors map under Tools > Settings > Map > Map Info. i only see CN north america NT 2020.10.

you wrote;
                    >you have to input the right key at the mapsource unlock wizard.

- are you referring to this page? < https://my.garmin.com/maps/unlockMaps.htm>

- does the nuvi/device have to be registered with garmin to use the fils maps?

if so, i need:
                    Device Serial Number: is that the 9 digit number on the barcode sticker on the back of the unit?
                    Product Key/Coupon Code: what's this and where do i find it?

thanks again...
                    norm
                    1. thank HBT. not me...
                    2. have you used the contributors map on this partivular nuvi before? if not, have you asked the judge for a new unlock key?
                    3. "mapsource unlock wizard" is in mapsource and not online. not knowing your mapsource version i suggest you do a search here in the forum. several threads have discussed this already unliess i'm gravely mistaken.
                    4. "if so, i need:
                    Product Key/Coupon Code: what's this and where do i find it?"
                    all that is probably for garmin's site. for the judge you need the units "unit id" that you can get with mapsource (in case of 6.13.7:connect gps to pc. wait till pc has recognised gps then run mapsource. utilities/ get unit id) or in the gps / tools / settings / system / about

we'll get this working. just need a bit more info.
                    How to get the upgraded map.

It's a sick world and I'm a happy man...

Comment

@kelpguy

just to step in again hehehe

this is how to find your unit id:tools/settings/system/about

and you'll see your unit id there.

give this number to THE JUDGE
                      and if you have enough data contribution, THE JUDGE will give you the KEY numbers to unlock the map in mapsource.
                      type this key on the unlock wizard and the map will be unlock.

YOU DONT NEED TO GO ONLINE

HTH
                      - Bruce Lee

Comment

Hahaha! I will also Butt in..

To clarify, even if you see the contributor's map in Mapsource as "unlocked" it might not mean that the map is "unlocked" for your particular device serial no. thus both Kuya Jan and HBT recommends that you double check your unit ID and send to Judge.

That other problem that you mentioned about "choosing a Map" is a common problem if you forgot to choose the mapset using the Map Tool in Mapsource, I thought your unlock problems was solved already

We'll be here for you Also as Kuya HBT said, if all else fails, join the EB meet in Makati, surely the gang should be able to figure out the problem for you there

Comment

Originally posted by Jan View Post
                          2. have you used the contributors map on this partivular nuvi before? if not, have you asked the judge for a new unlock key?
                          i had to take a (long) break from this project but i'm back at it. i haven't been able to ''unlock'' the contributor map on the gps unit and i just got a new unlock code from the judge and i've downloaded the latest contributors map and rar file at least 6 times today and get an error message every time i try to install the map. the latest is "there is a problem with the unlock wizard. please re-install the unlock wizard and start again.''

where (in the world) do i get a new unlock wizard the unlock wizard?

thanks guys...
                          norm :: ))~

Comment

Kelpguy,

Just to cover possible things that you have forgotten.

1. You sure you gave your unit ID to the Judge when you request for unlock code?

2. Did you enter the Unlock code by opening mapsource then
                            Going to Utilities/Manage map products

Then clicking the Unlock tab and adding your unlock code there.

We do not use the "unlock wizard" at all.

Comment

where (in the world) do i get a new unlock wizard the unlock wizard?
                              thanks for everyone's input.
                              here's the *latest* latest.
                              thinking that i got the message to ''install a new lock wizard'', because the present mapsource program i have installed is corrupt, so i uninstalled it and did a fresh download and ran it.

mapsource opens up with a window saying ''the following maps are locked'' with a button to ''unlock'' and a button to ''skip'' and the contributors map listed in the locked window. pc basic map, roadguide 107 and 120 contributors map where already installed in mapsource tho now the contributors map is totally blank except for the major roads. maybe i need to download a fresh copy?

if i chose unlock, the map manager opens up listing the maps mentioned above, so i select the contributors map button and my *only* option is to unlock online at garmin.

so i closed mapsource and reopened it and chose the skip button and then utilities>manage map products and the same map manager window opens with the same unlock at garmin option.

so then i tried another angle. i took everything garmin and road guide out of the computer and put it on a removable drive and pulled the drive. then i uninstalled mapsource and loaded *only* mapsource back into the computer and reinstalled mapsource and when mapsource opened all the maps mentioned above where listed and i did the same song and dance (which i can now do with my eyes closed).

while *was* enjoying using the contributors map in mapsource, i sure would like to get the contributors map into the garmin unit *before* i get to the fils in a couple of months.

ideas anyone?

where am i feeking up? : )
                              can anyone do a remote access?

norm : ))~

Comment

Working...
                              X