Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Using free map on Nuvi 3750

Hi all,

I have tried to read as much as i can on this forum and do some searches before asking this question, so i dont think it has been explained.

I bought a Nuvi 3750 back in July and purchased an SD card with the Philippines maps, my questions are as follows...

1) Can I upload the free demo map onto the same SD card that holds my current (none Philippines road guide) map.
    2) I turned the tracklog on in settings, is there likely to be any information that it has tracked that would be worth contributing here?
    3) Does anyone know how I can add my current location to 'favourite locations', e.g when i have driven a friend home and want to add his house for future use. I just cannot seem to find a way to do this using 'Where am i'

Thanks, and again I am very sorry if any of this has already been covered.

Originally posted by Pottypotsworth View Post
    Hi all,

I have tried to read as much as i can on this forum and do some searches before asking this question, so i dont think it has been explained.

I bought a Nuvi 3750 back in July and purchased an SD card with the Philippines maps, my questions are as follows...

1) Can I upload the free demo map onto the same SD card that holds my current (none Philippines road guide) map.
    2) I turned the tracklog on in settings, is there likely to be any information that it has tracked that would be worth contributing here?
    3) Does anyone know how I can add my current location to 'favourite locations', e.g when i have driven a friend home and want to add his house for future use. I just cannot seem to find a way to do this using 'Where am i'

Thanks, and again I am very sorry if any of this has already been covered.
    Welcome to Roadguide.

1. I'm not sure what kind of Phil. map preloaded with your sd card but you cannot load the free demo map into your gps either in sd or memory.thus only in pc via mapsource. (Demo map is different from free map) and its use for comparison purposes only once you plan to contribute) .But if you mean the free Map(not demo map)this is the version 1.07 yes you can load it to your gps either in sd card or memory. There is another map which you call contributors map,this is the unlocked demo map which is same as demo map but you need an unlock code and you can request this once you contribute. It can be loaded to your gps once you have the code.(depends on the model)

2.Yes,in areas where there are no roads or tracks or if the tracks you have recorded are very far offset,you can contribute this. You have to sort out also how to extract the 1sec tracks in your gps.

3.Just press the car icon for few secs. It will prompt you to save the location as favorites. Depends on your unit mine can save up to 500 favorites.

Where am i feature is use to find nearest hospital,police stns. Gas stns with reference to your current location.

Sent from my GT-P1000 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by jspalaroan; 01-21-2011, 05:19.

Comment

Hi, thank you for your thorough reply it has cleared a few things up for me, I just have a couple more questions.

1) The map i have is provided by a company called Paperless Trail inc, I think that this website http://www.perspective-gis.com/GPS-philippines-blog/ is part of their company. I bought it at a shop in Greenhills.
      2) I understand the difference between the maps, will i be able to load the free 1.07 map (or the contributor map if i ever get contributor status) onto the same SD card as my existing map, or do i need one SD card per map?
      3) One thing that i have been wondering is does the contributor map provide better routing options than what my current (or the free map) can, or is the routing algorithm decided by the device? Let me elaborate, no matter if i have my GPS set to fastest time or shortest route it will often try and take me on EDSA since it thinks its a fast highway. As we all know EDSA is a nightmare most of the time and there are much better shortcuts. Another example is going from Eastwood to De Castro Ave in Pasig. The GPS will always send you down C5 but there is actually a shortcut by going out the back of Eastwood and avoiding C5 all together. Does the contributor map allow the system to 'know' these shortcuts?

Thanks so much, I plan to install bootcamp on my MacBook next week so I can play around with the demo map and see what I can contribute.
      Last edited by Pottypotsworth; 01-21-2011, 13:59.

Comment

Hi, thank you for your thorough reply it has cleared a few things up for me, I just have a couple more questions.

1) The map i have is provided by a company called Paperless Trail inc, I think that this website http://www.perspective-gis.com/GPS-philippines-blog/ is part of their company. I bought it at a shop in Greenhills.
        2) I understand the difference between the maps, will i be able to load the free 1.07 map (or the contributor map if i ever get contributor status) onto the same SD card as my existing map, or do i need one SD card per map?
        3) One thing that i have been wondering is does the contributor map provide better routing options than what my current (or the free map) can, or is the routing algorithm decided by the device? Let me elaborate, no matter if i have my GPS set to fastest time or shortest route it will often try and take me on EDSA since it thinks its a fast highway. As we all know EDSA is a nightmare most of the time and there are much better shortcuts. Another example is going from Eastwood to De Castro Ave in Pasig. The GPS will always send you down C5 but there is actually a shortcut by going out the back of Eastwood and avoiding C5 all together. Does the contributor map allow the system to 'know' these shortcuts?

Thanks so much, I plan to install bootcamp on my MacBook next week so I can play around with the demo map and see what I can contribute.
        2. Yes use same card if you still have the capacity,you might rename the existing map as it might be overwrite it with the new Rg map.

3. I do not have experience using your current map. But the contributors map gives us good routing. We can use the feature "detour"whenever we want to divert from our existing route. Sounds like you are not local and this is one seems an important factor. Yes the gps routes us to nearest shortcut depending on the settings. If we experience misrouting,we report and submit correction asap and this will be amended on next update.

4. Pls play around with demo map and use ver. Of mapsource either 6.13.7 or 6.15.7 Do not upgrade to higher version.

Sent from my GT-P1000 using Tapatalk

Comment

1. yes heard of them
          2. since you paid for the existing one, best buy a new one for the RG map. coz if you use the same sd card it might erase the existing one (depends on the file type) or if you know how put it inside the nuvi memory.
          3. contributor map of course has better routing than the standard 1.07 map.(dont know about the other companys map). remember the GPSr have no brain of itself. it doesnt know that at time EDSA is a headache.
          if you set it at FASTER TIME then it will really route you to the highways, while if you set it at SHORTER DISTANCE, it will route you to shortest available route between 2 points.(it may take you through the squatters area).
          bottom line is GPSr will take to where you wanna go. it will recalculate if you didnt follow its suggested route.

important notice

although you are using 3750, they're having trouble with 3790
          read here http://roadguide.ph/forums/showthread.php?t=3079
          dont know if its the same with your unit. so as always, do it at your own risk.
          advice
          use another SD card for RG map. just in case it fekked up, you still have your original SD card with map.

i think our map is still better than theirs

HTH
          Empty your mind, be formless. Shapeless, like water. If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle and it becomes the bottle. You put it in a teapot it becomes the teapot. Now, water can flow or it can crash. Be water my friend.
          - Bruce Lee

http://www.youtube.com/v/7m-SEdOKrE4...yer_detailpage

Comment

Hi both,

Please excuse my late reply, thank you again for the information you provided, i'll kind of mix my replies to both of you in this one reply.

I will buy a new SD card and try the free map, and see how it compares to the map a paid for, if nothing else I can write a review on the differences.

My GPS actually took my through a market once (set on using shortest route), it was absolutely terrifying, i was the only car there and people were moving their stalls out the way and everything, from that point on i was too scared to use the shortest route.

I'll get everything installed on my macbook, and try the free map and then go from there.

Thanks again guys.

Comment

My GPS actually took my through a market once (set on using shortest route), it was absolutely terrifying, i was the only car there and people were moving their stalls out the way and everything, from that point on i was too scared to use the shortest route.

Thanks again guys.

use the faster time
              Empty your mind, be formless. Shapeless, like water. If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle and it becomes the bottle. You put it in a teapot it becomes the teapot. Now, water can flow or it can crash. Be water my friend.
              - Bruce Lee

http://www.youtube.com/v/7m-SEdOKrE4...yer_detailpage

Comment

Working...
              X