Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help with a nuvi 260W: This accessory is not supported.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help with a nuvi 260W: This accessory is not supported.

Somebody please help me on this.

I have a Garmin nuvi 260W and after weeks of tinkering with it, was able to make it work fine with a map of Manila and the USB cable of my camera (my unit came brand new, sealed in box but didn't come with a connector. weird. is this how it really is??).

I've been syncing it without any problems except that I use Mac OSX and wanted to experience it with a PC. So after weeks of more research, was able to install Parallels and Windows OS. So far so good. Then after that, it stopped being recognized by my computer both in mac and PC. But I have a feeling the problem is in the unit and not my computer because I've tried connecting it to other PCs and still nothing happens.

The unit starts up, but soon as it boots, I get a message that says: This accessory is not supported. What does this mean? And how do I fix it? I've tried rebooting, resetting with the small button on the underside of the unit, and powering up while holding the lower right corner of my screen. I can't find any more help on this matter. Did I install something I shouldn't have? Firmware, possibly? Is there a way to restore it to factory condition? Do I need to use a Garmin connector? What's up with this?

Hope someone can shed some light on this matter. It's getting frustrating. Thanks.

Try a different USB cable.

Comment

Have you been saving waypoints on your nuvi?

Comment

Lower Nuvi models do not come with Garmin USB cable.

My unit only worked with the "Garmin cable". Other USB cables I've used did not work. That is my experience but may not be entirely true for anyone else.
        [FONT="Comic Sans MS"][COLOR="Blue"]GPS - Greatest invention since sliced bread![/COLOR][/FONT]

Comment

do you have the garmin webupdater installed? you may need to have your firmware reinstalled via the webupdater. you can download it from garmin.com.

with regards to the USB cable, there shouldn't be any problem with using a non-Garmin USB cable (i use the USB connector for my card reader and it works just as well as the garmin USB cable).

also, you may want to register your unit with Garmin (if you haven't yet done so) to get support from their technical staff.

Originally posted by iwannacruiser View Post
          Somebody please help me on this.

I have a Garmin nuvi 260W and after weeks of tinkering with it, was able to make it work fine with a map of Manila and the USB cable of my camera (my unit came brand new, sealed in box but didn't come with a connector. weird. is this how it really is??).

I've been syncing it without any problems except that I use Mac OSX and wanted to experience it with a PC. So after weeks of more research, was able to install Parallels and Windows OS. So far so good. Then after that, it stopped being recognized by my computer both in mac and PC. But I have a feeling the problem is in the unit and not my computer because I've tried connecting it to other PCs and still nothing happens.

The unit starts up, but soon as it boots, I get a message that says: This accessory is not supported. What does this mean? And how do I fix it? I've tried rebooting, resetting with the small button on the underside of the unit, and powering up while holding the lower right corner of my screen. I can't find any more help on this matter. Did I install something I shouldn't have? Firmware, possibly? Is there a way to restore it to factory condition? Do I need to use a Garmin connector? What's up with this?

Hope someone can shed some light on this matter. It's getting frustrating. Thanks.

Comment

The thread starter said his computer fails to recognize his Nuvi so how can he update???

iwannacruiser: Believe me, the USB cable has a lot to do with your problem. I have a 360, 270 and a 780 and all of them are finicky with the USB cable that I use. A Garmin cable is needed but some other ones can be used. You just need to pick the right ones. The thicker ones usually works.

Good luck.

EDIT: My experience with Parallels is that it's a hit or miss thing when it comes to USB connections.
            Last edited by amf; 03-15-2009, 19:47.

Comment

hey iwannacruiser,

saw a thread regarding parallels and conflict with the garmin GPS. here is the link

http://forum.parallels.com/showthread.php?t=2763

hope this helps.

Comment

thanks for the replies.

@amf: i've used 3 kinds of USB cables already. and i agree that the type of USB shouldn't matter. besides, i was able to use my canon USB and it worked for a couple of weeks until i started updating the unit. i don't know if this update has anything to do with it. last resort, i will consider buying a garmin USB.

@ahqlex: unit is registered. i've emailed garmin tech support but still no reply. it's been a week almost.

thanks for the help. will update this soon as i find a solution. as of now, super bitin ako. sayang. just when i had parallels installed and my (ehem) new vespa. haha. sayang. can't wait to do some mapping.

Comment

I had experience with windows OS not recognising the nuvi because of using a different USB cable.

But as you describe it, it sounds like the problem is your gps unit.

some thoughts:
                  - that cable that you are using worked before, now it doesn't. Using the same cable on a different gadget, a canon camera, to connect to windows worked. this means there is no problem with the cable. Don't waste money buying a garmin cable, it's a ripp off, yes most garmin units doesn't come with usb connectors.
                  - I suspect something messed up your windows USB driver, but then you said it doesn't work on your Mac too or on other PCs so this theory is probably not it.
                  - you said the message "This accessory is not supported" appeared on the nuvi.

so I have a reason to believe that something is messed up with your nuvi.

Comment

@jetro:

EXACTLY! That's what I was thinking, too. Thanks. USB cable works. Definitely nothing wrong with the cable and my computer. I believe this started when I upgraded the system. Now the thing is, how do I get it back to normal? No use contacting Garmin Phils. They're no help. And disappointingly, Garmin USA has not replied to both my messages to them either. Can someone here help me restore my unit? Sayang. Brand new and I'm stuck with a brick.

Comment

Tapos na Holy Week and my unit's still not working properly. Wonder why this is. I'm going to try calling Garmin tonight. I'm not so hot about their online support. The form's not so user-friendly and you're never sure if they got your inquiry. No response since I started to report my problems. I'm hoping the call would help.

Still, I'm hoping someone here can help me with this. Maybe at tomorrow's EB...

Comment

Originally posted by iwannacruiser View Post
                        @jetro:

EXACTLY! That's what I was thinking, too. Thanks. USB cable works. Definitely nothing wrong with the cable and my computer. I believe this started when I upgraded the system. Now the thing is, how do I get it back to normal? No use contacting Garmin Phils. They're no help. And disappointingly, Garmin USA has not replied to both my messages to them either. Can someone here help me restore my unit? Sayang. Brand new and I'm stuck with a brick.
                        hey iwannacruiser,

were you able to fix this problem of yours? i was browsing through one of the forums in another site and saw an interesting fix to a somewhat similar problem. here is the link.

http://www.fixya.com/support/t223396...ection_via_usb

hth

Comment

Hi, I have similar problem with my garmin 255W. I connect with a different cable in the car (not a garmin product.) After that, the unit starts up, but soon as it boots, I get a message that says: This accessory is not supported. It always appear now even if I used USB garmin cable to the PC. Now, I cannot access the data inside the garmin. I didn't update it. Help!!!

Comment

Working...
                          X