Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What 'Nuvi' is best Value for Money' to use on a Motorcycle?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here is a post I have written under "specific fora/on your bike". Just wanted to share what I have been using for a long time now which has proven effective (for me)

Here is my DIY mount which the battery life can be extended to as long as there is a battery pack available (soon I will be hooking the nuvi into the bike's power supply). Also, it can be waterproofed in so many ways possible (ziplock, cling wrap etc.)

The red rubber which serves as a non slip for the cable ties, also serves as a damper for vibration. The velcro which is super sticky and attaches super strong to each other serves as another vibration damper.

So far, I have clocked 600kms over rough terrain going to and fro baler without fail and still holding on.

Comment

Nice DIY set-up kuya Rave, and cost effective too...

Comment

Originally posted by Borgie View Post
        Nice DIY set-up kuya Rave, and cost effective too...
        Thanks, Borgie. Are you from Bacolod btw?

Comment

Originally posted by ravewave View Post
          Thanks, Borgie. Are you from Bacolod btw?
          Nope, from the other side...

Comment

Originally posted by Borgie View Post
            Nope, from the other side...
            Dumaguete? or Iloilo?

Comment

other side, same island...

Comment

Originally posted by legtu View Post
                a couple of things to consider with regards to using the portable solar batt pack...
                - max output current of the solar panel is 100ma, and that's with a good amount of sunlight shining on the panel. that's barely enough to charge the internal battery of the power pack itself
                - afaik, the solar panel works as a charger for the internal batt only
                - there's converter loss that you have to factor in when using the usb output of the power pack. best case would be around 90% efficiency or more, realistically, it might be around 80% or less.
                Forget Ohms Law and Theory, and let me tell you about some practical reality.

On Sunday 29th January 2012, I went out on Green Trail Ride #20, with 4 other like minded 'Bikers'. Before I set off my Nuvi 255 was attached to my XT225 via the Arkon GPS032 Handlebar Mount case, and a modified Mini B USB Cable connected to my 12V Power Outlet via a USB Power adapter. However it stopped working by the time I arrived at the Meeting Point. The Fuse connected to the Battery did not look blown, but I would replace the the Fuse Holder and the wire to the power Feed Connector on the Starter Relay. I later discovered the main problem was the -ve Power chassis connection, so I replaced that and soldered the crimp as double security/reliability, and low resistivity (less likely to oxidize).

So no 12V Power Feed to USB to my Garmin, only the SBC10 with its internal 2,000mAh Battery, and its Solar Cell, to supplement the internal 1250mAh Battery of my Garmin Nuvi 255.

This arrangement worked for over 4 hours, with no Warnings that External Power was lost and would be switching off in 29 secs,unless one agreed to staying with internal batteries.

It took us longer to get there than had been planned. This due to stopping to check Ferry Times to Camotes Island from Danao City. Also I experienced a flat front tire, and had to fit the spare 21" Tube that I carried. It still took twice as long that the 'good hour' that their website stated the journey time would be.

Then after lunch @ Danasan Eco Adventure Park, another of our party found his back tire was flat (but carried no spare and my replaced tube was thrown away - as it had been repaired twice before and 2nd time was only the day before as did not have a spare tune at that time)

Due to these Delays, my Garmin was now reporting the 'External power was lost and would be turning off in 29 Seconds!.

But get this, the warning went away as soon as my handlebar mount with my attached Visor, having the SBC-10 with its Solar Cell, was back in the sunlight!

So the internal SBC-10 Battery was so low it was not accepted as suitable power for the Garmin Nuvi 255. But as soon as the SBC-10 Solar Panel was in full sunlight, my Nuvi was happy to continue using this 'external power'.

Admittedly it was not enough Power, from the Solar Cell, to avoid my Nuvi 255
                using its internal battery AND charge the SBC-10 Battery at the same time. What I should have done (instead of removing my handlebar mount with Garmin Nuvi 255 inside, was just remove my Nuvi from the case, leaving the SBC-10 sitting on the Visor mount, soaking up that Solar energy and charging up its internal battery for 1 hour.

I was worried someone might steal it, but it's cheaper to replace an SBC-10 than a Nuvi 255.

The point of this reply being, that it seems the SBC-10, was capable of delivering my Garmin Nuvi 255 with enough power, to stop it switching to its own battery, provided there was enough sunlight hitting the solar panel.

So I effectively have 4x Power Options on my Motorcycle for GPS Tracking:-
                1. 12V Motorcycle Power Feed via USB power cable
                2. SBC-10 internal 2,000mAh Battery
                3. SBC-10 100mA Solar Cell
                4. Garmin Nuvi 255 internal 1250mAh Battery

Comment

My observations also. I have a nuvi 1450 which i use on my scoot for long rides as well as endurance races. Firat time i used it, i didnt use the regular garmin charger (my scoot already has a 12v lighter socket) thinking it would be too short. I used an ordinary usb cable connected to a generic usb lighter power supply. The unit would power on in pc mode but would eventually go to gps mode after a minute or so. The problem i had was that the power would cut off randomly and the unit would reboot, which was a major hassle during the race.

Our last ride,i used the garmin charger, which was apparently long enough and had no problem at all even running al ost 12 hours straight.

Comment

Originally posted by vespinoy View Post
                    My observations also.
                    I used an ordinary usb cable connected to a generic usb lighter power supply. The unit would power on in pc mode but would eventually go to gps mode after a minute or so. The problem i had was that the power would cut off randomly and the unit would reboot, which was a major hassle during the race.

Our last ride,i used the garmin charger, which was apparently long enough and had no problem at all even running al ost 12 hours straight.
                    The standard Garmin 12V Power Adapter works OK, but I had problems with it disconnecting (due to 12V Power Socket currently not vertical, and bumps/vibrations shaking it loose).

Wrapping some rubber tape - self vulcanizing around the neck of the cigar lighter plug body; helped stop it working loose, as it was then a much tighter fit, and being rubber, gripped the 12V socket quite well.

I ended up cutting the cable of the standard Garmin 12V Power Adaptor, and fitting a Female USB on the 12V Plug end, and a standard USB A Plug on the other end. Connected together, it works just the same. Read more ...

That Garmin 12V Adapter can now power any USB device from a 12V socket.

The Mini USB B Cable (from my Garmin Nuvi 255), plugged into any USB Socket, and works as a Power Cable.

It never enters Data Mode (it's a real pain waiting 20-25 seconds after the green load bars finish, before it boots up normally if you don't have special USB Mini B with Resister connected to Pin #5 from Ground Pin).

Read more here also ...

I prefer using my PowerJolt Dual USB from Griffin Technology on my Motorcycle as it is smaller and lighter, and does not vibrate loose, and I can power my Nuvi and my WBT-201 (or charge my Nokia N95) at the same time.

NB: The combination of the PowerJolt Dual USB and the Attwood Marine 12-Volt Power Outlet does not go well together!

Either the body/center Pin Contact of the PowerJolt Dual USB, is too short, or the depth of the Attwood Marine 12-Volt Power Outlet is too deep, as it does not maintain reliable contact.

The PowerJolt works fine in a Bench PSU 12V Cigar Lighter Socket and in the Car,.

Other 12V USB Plug in units, work fine in the Attwood Marine 12-Volt Power Outlet

So I now have the PowerJolt in the Car

I bought a CDR King Dual USB on the Motorcycle
                    EF-0010GZ
                    Dual USB Car Charger
                    Php 100.00

KL-015GZ
                    Dual USB Car Charger Adapter
                    Php 120.00
                    Last edited by Britster; 06-05-2012, 22:12.

Comment

Working...
                    X