Installing Multiple Maps for Garmin Nuvi

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Installing Multiple Maps for Garmin Nuvi

I got this idea from reading the Garmin XT gurus of RG.

reference: http://roadguide.ph/forums/showthread.php?t=2640

They said that with Garmin XT you can actually have multiple maps installed.
    There were some files mentioned such as basmap, OEM, etc. but I don't want to mess around with those, coz they are basically the original maps installed.

What I was interested in however is the gmapsupp.img and the gmapsupp2.img as well as installing into the Nuvi unit and into the microSD.

So this is what I did:

1. Installed the RG 1.07 map into micro SD card, you install using mapsource and when you click upload, instead of choosing nuvi, you choose the microSD on the drop down. This will give you a gmapsupp.img in microSD.

2. Then using mapsource again I installed the latest Contributor's map into the Nuvi unit this time. This will give you gmapsupp.img in your Nuvi, this way contri map is in your unit all the time. In my unit it is in G:/Map/ for example.

3. I then browsed using windows file explorer to the microSD and renamed my RG 1.07 map from gmapsupp.img to gmapsupp2.img

4. Then I opened mapsource again to start uploading another map, this time I tried out an old OSM map, and chose my microSD card as destination. (Be careful if you choose incorrectly you can overwrite the contri map in your nuvi, but if you make a mistake just reinstall).

After I safely removed my Garmin unit from the computer, I turned it on and checked the Maps info and found 3 maps in there, plus the 2 pre installed maps I have. So total of 5.

Lastly I asked the question, if you had both the RG 1.07 and the OSM map, would it look like 2 superimposed maps? Well I tried it (not with 1.07 though, with the Contributor's map) and it did not work. To be able to see the OSM map I had to uncheck my Contri map, and vice versa. The POI is searchable I think but the routing gets messed up.

Hope this helps!

TTFN
    Arvin

In my case, I just backed up the original gmapprom.img which came with my nuvi and saved the latest contributor's map as gmapprom.img. My secondary map is named as gmapsupp.img while my tertiary map (OSM Phil) is named as gmapprom1.img

I decided to replace the original gmapprom.img (US map) because it way to big and I didn't use it anyway.

So I have 3 local maps in the internal memory of my nuvi
    Last edited by warfab; 06-17-2011, 08:26.

Comment

On the newer 4 digit nuvis, you can have an unlimited number of maps.

Only the 3 digit nuvis are limited.

Comment

GTV,

Seriously? I can have gmapsupp3.img? I have a 1350!

Warfab,
        The only disadvantage I can think of with renaming the RG contri map as gmapprom.img is that you will have to rename each time you upload coz I think mapsource defaults always to gmapsupp.img (maybe)

TTFN
        Arvin

Comment

Originally posted by arvin555 View Post
          Warfab,
          The only disadvantage I can think of with renaming the RG contri map as gmapprom.img is that you will have to rename each time you upload coz I think mapsource defaults always to gmapsupp.img (maybe)

TTFN
          Arvin
          Thanks for the observation.

I've already changed my secondary map to gmapprom.img and have reserved gmapsupp.img for roadguide.ph after thinking about it after my first post in this thread

Comment

GTV,

TTFN
            Arvin
            Check out Boyd's post in GpsPasSion forums...

http://www.gpspassion.com/forumsen/t...70&whichpage=3

2nd post on the url above...

Just to update this thread, Garmin has indeed implemented this feature on the newest Nuvi series - 1200/1300/1400, etc. I doubt we will see it on any of the older models.

However, it does not work for the \Garmin folder. Instead, create a folder named \Map and place your .img files there. As long as the files have a .img extension, the GPS will recognize them (assuming that they are valid Garmin maps). I am doing this on my Nuvi 1350 and it works great. Note that the \Map folder doesn't exist on a new unit, you will have to create it yourself. I believe the same thing will work using a memory card.

Assuming he's correct, you can even rename it to roadguideph.img

Comment

Thanks for this, this is great news for me! Will try this soon!

TTFN
              Arvin

Comment

In some units, like my Colerado 400t I can name the map image file whatever I fancy and have a multitude of them as well! Mind though that most, if not all Garmin units can only handle a maximum of 4GB map segments!
                Questions? Check Out The: "HOW TO"

Comment

GTV,

Yep, you can use any name you want. Just put it in the "Map" folder of your nuvi or SD card.

Comment

Now that I have to test as well, because last night I tested it.

Put gmapsupp4.img along with 2 other img file in garmin:/Map but after I checked the new img wasn't there, when I ejected my microSD the new map came out.

I am afraid that maybe there is a maximum of 4 maps. But now I realize in my microSD the map is not in /Map folder, so will try it, will report back.

TTFN
                    Arvin

Comment

in my 3790, default is gmapsupp,while Osm map is gmapsupp1.img,107 is gmapsupp3.img renaming to Gmapsupp2.img does not work., I guess it has something to do with compatibility to Garmin. All in map folder.

Sent from my GT-P1000 using Tapatalk
                      Last edited by jspalaroan; 06-18-2011, 14:02.

Comment

Originally posted by jspalaroan View Post
                        in my 3790, default is gmapsupp,while Osm map is gmapsupp1.img,107 is gmapsupp3.img renaming to Gmapsupp2.img does not work., I guess it has something to do with compatibility to Garmin. All in map folder.

Sent from my GT-P1000 using Tapatalk
                        jspalaroan,

with 3790, you need not follow the conventional naming of maps for garmin. you can rename any map with whatever name you like. You can name your rg map as rg.img and osm as osm.img and it will be seen inside your map choices. it should be inside MAP folder though. try renaming your 107 map to demo.img and tell us if it works.

i have msm maps loaded into my 3790 and just renamed it to malsingmap.img for easy identification and it works.

hth

rem

Comment

Originally posted by rem View Post
                          jspalaroan,

with 3790, you need not follow the conventional naming of maps for garmin. you can rename any map with whatever name you like. You can name your rg map as rg.img and osm as osm.img and it will be seen inside your map choices. it should be inside MAP folder though. try renaming your 107 map to demo.img and tell us if it works.

i have msm maps loaded into my 3790 and just renamed it to malsingmap.img for easy identification and it works.

hth

rem
                          Hi Rem, Thank you, I will check. Yes- what i have heard is , this 3790 can load multiple maps (unlimited as long as the memory can take?)

Comment

Originally posted by jspalaroan View Post
                            Hi Rem, Thank you, I will check. Yes- what i have heard is , this 3790 can load multiple maps (unlimited as long as the memory can take?)
                            yes unlimited as long as the memory is enough. loaded msm, mfm, osm, rg, and other free maps. now im desk travelling using the gps

rem

Comment

Newbie here.

I opened my nuvi 265w and found 2 files there - (1) gmapsupp.img; and (2) gmapprom.img.

Questions:

1. After reading this thread, I surmise that one is the original US map and the other is the RG basic map. How do I know which is which? Should I be able to tell by file size, maybe? A friend of mine helped me load the RG map so I don't really know which is which

2. If I want to load another map (say, OSM) in the SD card:

a. do I have to create a sub-folder in the SD card called Maps for example or can I just save it in the main directory of the SD?
                              b. Is my understanding correct that I have to name the OSM map as something other than (1) gmapsupp.img or (2) gmapprom.img, even if it is located in the SD card?

Comment

Working...
                              X