Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nuvi 855

Hi Everyone,

I stupidly managed to crack the screen of my 1st GPS unit, a Vector V100. Though I have yet to contact Vector and inquire on their repair services, I am starting to look for a replacement unit.

Apart from navigation, I would like the unit to have an FM transmitter so I can play MP3's and listen to audiobooks. This requirement being a result of my car HU not having any external source capability.

Going over the ads at Sulit, I've narrowed my choices to 2 Nuvi models with an FM trasnmitter - the 760 and 855. Though the 855 has voice recognition, the price of 760 is higher (I guess because of the BT capability).

With regards to GPS functions and useability, this is where I would like to get everyones opinion on which of the 2 Nuvi models is better, more features that are applicable to RG maps.

Thanks in advance for your comments and suggestions

Go for the 855. The 760 is the older version of the 765. xx5 models are the updated versions of their xx0 predecessors.

RG maps don't really have any special features that favor a particular nuvi when it comes to navigation. For example, Lane assist, Junction View, 3D buildings and (built-in)Speed Limit Indicator are currently not supported by RG maps.

Comment

I'm currently using a Nuvi 855 as alternate navigator. Bought this one refurbished from Amazon. It has a feature of showing your preferred POIs which is useful on unfamiliar places. I have mp3s and it plays well as it broadcasts on FM. Though Karen would interrupt your listening pleasure as she gives directions. Voice recognition is something you have to get familiar with so I would at times touch the screen. I have compared this side by side with my 1390 and I would say its slower. At times I have already made the turn before it displays the street I'm in. Speaker is not that good also, it sounds small. It crashes sometimes which can easily be solved by reinserting the battery. The 855 does not have a complete shut down. It only goes to sleep mode when you turn it off. It's useful though when you instantly want it turned on but it depletes you battery. I would advice you google more of this unit before buying.

Comment

Hi Gtv, Lyndon

Thanks for the advice. I've done some searching over the net and came to realize that even if the 855 does offer a lot of useful features, there are problems and limitations as
        well. Over at Amazon, the User ratings are extreme, 4-5 stars and a large number of 3,2 and 1 stars.

Since I'm choosing from just 2 models based on immediate availability, I may have to reevaluate my requirements - find another way to transmit music the car HU and get a different Nuvi instead. Any suggestions would be welcome

Thanks again :-)

Comment

Working...
        X