Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Effect of stalled download (free map update)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Effect of stalled download (free map update)

I got a 265w recently.

When I registered the unit at garmin.com, I was informed that I had a free update available for the US & Canada maps.

I clicked the update button and the download started. I was asked to install Garmin Map Update v.2.6.15. Afterwards, I was asked to connect my GPS to the computer and the download started. There are apparently 3 stages:
    1 - Downloading
    2- Preparing Maps
    3 - Installing Maps

It's been ages and the download is still ongoing. If for example, my internet conks out or there's a brownout while "downloading" is ongoing, what will happen to my unit? Will it be bricked or I just won't get the latest map? I want to cancel the installation but the only available buttons are "Pause" and "Continue". There is no option to cancel.

I'm just a bit worried that my unit will get bricked because of this.

@tonedeaf

Originally posted by tonedeaf View Post
    I got a 265w recently.

When I registered the unit at garmin.com, I was informed that I had a free update available for the US & Canada maps.

I clicked the update button and the download started. I was asked to install Garmin Map Update v.2.6.15. Afterwards, I was asked to connect my GPS to the computer and the download started. There are apparently 3 stages:
    1 - Downloading
    2- Preparing Maps
    3 - Installing Maps

It's been ages and the download is still ongoing. If for example, my internet conks out or there's a brownout while "downloading" is ongoing, what will happen to my unit? Will it be bricked or I just won't get the latest map? I want to cancel the installation but the only available buttons are "Pause" and "Continue". There is no option to cancel.

I'm just a bit worried that my unit will get bricked because of this.
    Just be sure to backup your garmin folder so you can restore at a later time in the event that something goes wrong.

Comment

it should not take long. maybe your internet connection is congested.
      FAQ for Newbies? Read here.

Comment

Working...
      X