Advice on what Nuvi to get

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Advice on what Nuvi to get

I have some available miles from Etihad airlines and I'm eyeing some Garmin GPS available from them. What basically falls under my available miles are the following models:

Garmin nuvi 1310 (GCC map)
    Garmin nuvi 2200 (ME map)
    Garmin nuvi 2300 (ME map)
    Garmin nuvi 2360 (ME map)

The 1490T is already sold out, and the 2460 costs more than my miles so I'll have to fork out $37.45 just in case there is a justification to get this model. I'm already aware of the size differences in the models (except for the 1310).

I tried reading some reviews and I'm currently eyeing the 2360, but I thought I'd post here before making a final decision and maybe get some opinions for the experts here. I'm Metro Manila based and I'd mostly be using it here. Hopefully I can become a contributor too if there is an opportunity.

Thanks in advance for any advices that can help me make my choice.

Rick

Ranma,

If I were in your position, I'd forget about the 1310, specially if your miles can cover the other top three. The nice thing about the 2xxx series is that they have this nice cool feature called MyTrends, which allows the GPSr to learn your habits.

Now between the three 2XXX models, if you want voice activated navigation, then go for the 2300 and the 2360. If you want bluetooth go for the 2360.
    If you are saving excess miles for later, then go for the 2300 I assume you need less points for that. All of the above have Mytrends.

Disclaimer: I have no first hand experience with all the above models except the 1300 series, so I only used specs and features in garmin website to give you suggestions.

TTFN
    Arvin

Comment

Thanks for your reply, Arvin. Very informative. Looks like I will be going with the 2360 after all. I was just wondering if I might encounter problems like getting locked maps to work with it. I tried searching the forum but I don't think anyone's using this particular model yet. Hopefully everything will go smoothly.

Comment

Aha! That is the million peso question.

Unfortunately we won't know until you try. Almost sure that the free map will work for your unit. For Contributor's map, maybe the 1.24 with patch will also almost surely will work for you. I am just being conservative, because chances are your unit might just work nicely with the RG map anyway, it is only a handful of (unfortunate) people who has some problems loading the latest maps into their units.

I am not sure which is the latest 3790s or the 2360s because there are quite a few members with those new models that has successfully installed the RG contri maps.

TTFN
        Arvin

Comment

take a look at this: http://gpstracklog.com/compare/garmi...mparison-chart
          Empty your mind, be formless. Shapeless, like water. If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle and it becomes the bottle. You put it in a teapot it becomes the teapot. Now, water can flow or it can crash. Be water my friend.
          - Bruce Lee

http://www.youtube.com/v/7m-SEdOKrE4...yer_detailpage

Comment

Thanks for the input, guys. I finally decided on the Nuvi 2360 and placed an order for it last night. Should get here in 14 days or less. Hope customs will be kind.

Comment

Originally posted by arvin555 View Post
              I am not sure which is the latest 3790s or the 2360s because there are quite a few members with those new models that has successfully installed the RG contri maps.

TTFN
              Arvin
              @ kuya arv. that will be hopefully resolve soon.

Originally posted by Jan View Post
              Compatibility issues will soon be a thing of the past.

Posted from my BlackBerry using BerryBlab
              Last edited by doki; 07-29-2011, 12:51.

Comment

That is great news Kuya Doki specially those that have been waiting for the fix and stuck at 1.24 Plus of course those that want to have the top of the line or latest models.

Should get here in 14 days or less. Hope customs will be kind.
                Oh man Ranmamaru, dude you should have warned or gave us a hint that you were going to have it shipped in. Because your unit has bluetooth IF it does get inspected by customs, there is a possibility that they might require you to show an NTC permit for the Bluetooth. There was a thread about this in RG, please search for it, unfortunately the guy who posted never went back to give feedback as to what he did eventually.

Anyway the NTC permit is not difficult or expensive, it's just waste of time going there and paying for the permit. I sure hope it does not get inspected... my post probably made your 14 days wait, seem to be longer

Good luck!

TTFN
                Arvin

Comment

A couple of my officemates ordered various items with their available miles, majority of them wristwatches that got taxed by customs. The imitation jewelry and router got by without being taxed. Anyway, all of them got delivered by door to door delivery companies like UPS, and they were the one who brought a bill for the taxes to be paid.

For the permit though, it sounds like it will be more of a hassle if I have to go to customs, which I'll have to do over the weekend. Hope everything goes smoothly though. I've found the thread you mentioned, thanks for the heads up.

Comment

ranamamaru,

Just to clarify, if customs inspects, and the officer knows what to look for, if he sees bluetooth he will automatically ask for an NTC import permit. If so you need to go to NTC to ask for the permit, then you just send the permit to whoever is the courier door to door company, DHL, Fedex, etc. so that they can submit it and clear it. So no need for you to go to customs yourself, but you'll still need to figure out how to submit the document to the courier service.

I hope that by the time you read this though, that you would have received your unit without any incident. There is still a possibility that it will go through without a hitch! So good luck!

Anyway a BIG MESSAGE to all RG members, if you are going to bring in a Bluetooth ready device, please do not use DHL, FEDEX, UPS, as there is a higher chance that it will get detected and NTC permit will be required. Best to have it hand carried by a friend, relative, or in a balikbayan box.

TTFN
                    Arvin

Comment

I just received an SMS from DHL this afternoon advising me that I have a shipment with them, and to prepare 1,733.60php for payment of duties and taxes. There was no mention of the NTC clearance requirement. I don't know if I'm out of the woods yet. I guess I'll know tomorrow. I wonder if they'll have the package with them or if they'll be collecting my payment first and will still have to pick it up after.

Comment

Originally posted by ranmamaru View Post
                        I just received an SMS from DHL this afternoon advising me that I have a shipment with them, and to prepare 1,733.60php for payment of duties and taxes. There was no mention of the NTC clearance requirement. I don't know if I'm out of the woods yet. I guess I'll know tomorrow. I wonder if they'll have the package with them or if they'll be collecting my payment first and will still have to pick it up after.
                        it surely is with them already.

you can ask them to deliver it to your house and pay the necessary fees upon receipt of the item.
                        Last edited by pokz; 08-05-2011, 03:47.

Comment

Yup, I called them earlier and verified that the package is already with them. I used a cc to pay for the fees over the phone and they said to expect the package anytime within the day at the delivery address, which is my office.

I already brought the files from Roadguide on my USB and will try to load the map later.

Comment

There's a table in this link that shows the various Garmin Nuvis available and their features.

http://www.amazon.com/Garmin-Widescr...2551041&sr=8-1

Comment

Dodged a bullet there Ranmamaru Congrats!

Comment

Working...
                              X