Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Where to buy 1Ampere Fuse for Garmin Car Charger?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Where to buy 1Ampere Fuse for Garmin Car Charger?

I've been looking for a new fuse for my garmin charger, it should be 1amp 250v, but haven't been able to find any. does anyone know where I can buy a new fuse here in Manila/Cavite? Thanks.

if you can't find a 1A/250v fuse, try a lower rated one (eg. 0.75A/250v or 0.5A/250v).
    got a question? google it or do a forum search.

Comment

Normally its prohibited to use a much lower ampere rating than the prescribe one, a higher rating is much better, try to check other vendors like Deeco etc. But you know sometimes people will use even jumper wires instead.tsk tsk

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by jspalaroan View Post
        Normally its prohibited to use a much lower ampere rating than the prescribe one, a higher rating is much better, try to check other vendors like Deeco etc. But you know sometimes people will use even jumper wires instead.tsk tsk

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
        it should be lower kuya.

else you lose the protective feature of the fuse.

Comment

if...

fuse rating is lower- it will just keep tripping
          fuse rating is higher - it wont trip much but it will sometimes destroy your unit

get a fuse that is the right ampere rating which is 1A in this case. look for the reason why the fuse trips. theres got to be a reason why
          Empty your mind, be formless. Shapeless, like water. If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle and it becomes the bottle. You put it in a teapot it becomes the teapot. Now, water can flow or it can crash. Be water my friend.
          - Bruce Lee

http://www.youtube.com/v/7m-SEdOKrE4...yer_detailpage

Comment

Originally posted by Kroniklez View Post
            I've been looking for a new fuse for my garmin charger, it should be 1amp 250v, but haven't been able to find any. does anyone know where I can buy a new fuse here in Manila/Cavite? Thanks.
            It's a 20mm, Fuse 1A you need to find.

Try Automobile Accessories Shop (Car & Truck Center in SM cebu had some). Also try Electronics Spares shops.

Failing that, and unable to find a new 20mm Fuse of 1A, you can repair the Fuse if urgently needed!

This Table shows how much Current can be carried @ 12V DC, for given Gauge cable:-

Gauge Amps

Stranded Wire for use in Cars /Speakers is a given Standard Wire Gauge (swg) and has a number of Strands.

If a 12swg cable had 40 Strands, each strand can carry at least 0.5A

In practice it can probably carry Double the Rated Current.

Taking a single strand, and soldering it to the metal cap at each end will work (and in some cases the metal cap can pull off and you can thread the wire up the middle and over the side of the glass tube, then re-fit the cap, and it will 'pinch' the wire, making an electrical connection.

I have done this successfully on Motorcycles with such glass fuses, and it got it working again. Cars tend to use blade fuses these days (and some motorcycles).

If you had 18swg cable with 40 strands, then single strand won't carry 1A!
            But give it a try, as the Garmin only takes 200ma when the battery is Flat (hold that picture of the battery charge, on a Nuvi at least, and it enters a Diagnostic Screen saying what the charging current is!).

If the Charger blows with just 1 strand, try 2 strands. If it went to 2 strands and still blows - I say your Charger is probably faulty and should be checked out @ electronics repair shop.

The alternative is to buy a USB Charger and simply charge the Garmin from the USB Socket using USB-A to USB Mini-B Cable.

Comment

Originally posted by Britster View Post
              Taking a single strand, and soldering it to the metal cap at each end will work (and in some cases the metal cap can pull off and you can thread the wire up the middle and over the side of the glass tube, then re-fit the cap, and it will 'pinch' the wire, making an electrical connection.
              i wouldn't recommend on doing this one. afaik, an electrical wire/strand is not fast enough to melt in a short-circuit or overload condition.

if the charger is a cig-plug type and never sees 220v, then a fuse with a voltage rating between 12 to 220v / 1A should be fine.

Comment

You don't replace a device's fuse with another that has a higher rating. That's a no-no... UNLESS, you know exactly what you are doing and have done design changes and/or has taken other precautions to prevent a meltdown.

Although the charger will probably charge the Nuvi at 200-300mA, the fuse is set to 1A to take into account the initial surge/in-rush of current that is typical with circuits involving the use of electrolytic capacitors, as well as any electrical transients that may occur in the vehicle (ie. arcing and electrical noise, switching on and off of high-current accessories, etc.).
                There's no place like 127.0.0.1

Comment

Originally posted by oj88 View Post
                  You don't replace a device's fuse with another that has a higher rating. That's a no-no...
                  i've gotta point out though that fuses "blow" based on current, not voltage. it's perfectly fine to use a fuse with higher voltage rating.

Comment

Originally posted by legtu View Post
                    i've gotta point out though that fuses "blow" based on current, not voltage. it's perfectly fine to use a fuse with higher voltage rating.
                    It's down to Ohms Law actually

V = I x R

I = V/R Current = Voltage divided by Resistance.

The Voltage using the Car Charger is 13.5V DC max.

The Fuse wire presents a certain Resistance and that causes a Voltage drop across it. Under fault conditions, the increased current flow causes the resister (fuse wire in this case) to get hotter, until it melts.

In practice it a bit more involved/complicated than that, and different for DC than AC application

Fuses come in different versions - Fast Blow, Quick Blow, Slow Blow and Delay Blow.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fuse_%28electrical%29

Miniature fuses may have an interrupting rating only 10 times their rated current.

Rated voltage
                    Voltage rating of the fuse must be greater than or equal to what would become the open circuit voltage. For example, a glass tube fuse rated at 32 volts would not reliably interrupt current from a voltage source of 120 or 230 V. If a 32 V fuse attempts to interrupt the 120 or 230 V source, an arc may result. Plasma inside that glass tube fuse may continue to conduct current until current eventually so diminishes that plasma reverts to an insulating gas. Rated voltage should be larger than the maximum voltage source it would have to disconnect. This requirement applies to every type of fuse.

Medium-voltage fuses rated for a few thousand volts are never used on low voltage circuits, because of their cost and because they cannot properly clear the circuit when operating at very low voltages

Voltage drop
                    A voltage drop across the fuse is usually provided by its manufacturer. Resistance may change when a fuse becomes hot due to energy dissipation while conducting higher currents. This resulting voltage drop should be taken into account, particularly when using a fuse in low-voltage applications. Voltage drop often is not significant in more traditional wire type fuses, but can be significant in other technologies such as resettable fuse (PPTC) type fuses.
                    So I would suggest that you don't go using a Fuse with considerably higher Voltage Rating!

20mm x 5mm 1A Fuse, but 'RS' Philippines do stock many FuseRatings.
                    Personally I would go with 500mA as I am sure these will work (not blow under normal conditions) and offer better protection than 1A version under Charger fault condition.

My Garmin Nuvi 255 Diagnostic Screen show 'I Limit' 150mA

Fuse,min,5x20mm,F,LBC,250V,500mA

RS Stock No. 563-463
                    Manufacturer RS
                    Page 1428

http://philippines.rs-online.com/web...duct&R=0563463

Quantity Price
                    Each (In a Pack of 10)
                    10 PHP6.90

For those wanting to stick with 1A:-
                    http://philippines.rs-online.com/web...duct&R=5414375

Fuse,5x20mm,LBC,glass,quick acting,F,250Vac,1A

RS Stock No. 541-4375
                    Manufacturer Littelfuse
                    Manufacturer's part number 0217001.
                    MXP Page 1428

In Stock in Singapore.
                    Free delivery Philippines wide when ordered online, Delivery within 2-5 working days for Metro Manila and key areas of Bulacan, Laguna, Cavite and Batangas.
                    Last edited by Britster; 07-26-2011, 09:18. Reason: Added 1A Fuse details also - From RS, Singapore, but still Free Delivery NCR

Comment

Am in good company here. Good thing there are a lot of electronics experts to consult about this. I guess, get the right fuse per manufacturer's specs.

Comment

Originally posted by Kroniklez View Post
                        buy at Ace Hardware of SM, DEECO or Alexan or any electronic store 1 ampere fuse is easy to find, just bring the busted fuse & show them. it's less than Php 10, also buy extra fuse
                        Last edited by rhodor; 09-08-2011, 00:10.

Comment

Working...
                        X