Rebooting 1490T

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rebooting 1490T

I been experiencing this issue with my 1490. The unit would just reboot while it is in navigation mode. Also while doing 1s tracks. Anyone experienced this issue?

I checked the logs and it points to some RLT memory error. I did a dump but where do I find the dump to send to Garmin?

https://support.garmin.com/support/searchSupport/case.faces?caseId={55b1cce0-ffb6-11de-6d34-000000000000}

According to Garmin, this happens also for the 1200 and 1300 series.

I will try downloading the Aug 4, 2011 Webupdater version for XP and see if it will fix the issue by updating the firmware to latest version. When I ran Webupdater, it was the Mac April 2011 version. It updated my firmware to V5.40.

Hi hardright, did this happen before or after you updated your firmware?

Sent from my iPad

Comment

After I upgraded the firmware to V5.40 Paul. How about with your unit?

Comment

Kuya Hardright,

My 1350 ave done several restarts, have experienced this, but I think a bit different than your's. I have narrowed it down to when the unit is trying to calculate a route to a destination.

Then I have actually isolated the problem which is actually in part user fault (mine). This glitch happens when I do a where to search and then calculate a route, then I change my mind and try out a different map, so I will then go to map/info and uncheck one map and choose a different map. If I try to use the Where to again and "recently found" feature, the reboot will happen. The way around it is to do a manual search, typing the name of the POI again.

I imagine it might not be the same thing as what you are experiencing, but wanted to share this because you might want to avoid making the same mistake. I guess this problem doesn't pop out often, coz maybe I am the only fickle one that would choose one map over the other while already on a route

Good luck!
        TTFN
        Arvin

Comment

im using a different unit but i also experience those things, i have a a lil question though , are u using a screen protector on ur gps? cuz thats the culprit on mine, the screen protector sometimes messes up the touch screen, my gps reboots by itself and sometimes it keeps on recalculating endlessly till i do a hard reset
          That which is above is also that which is below - Emerald Tablet of Hermes Trismegistus

Love and Light - Zohar

Comment

Originally posted by magus888 View Post
            im using a different unit but i also experience those things, i have a a lil question though , are u using a screen protector on ur gps? cuz thats the culprit on mine, the screen protector sometimes messes up the touch screen, my gps reboots by itself and sometimes it keeps on recalculating endlessly till i do a hard reset
            No, I don't use a screen protector.

@Arvin, no I don't turn off maps or anything as described. This happened on my way to Montemar in Bataan. From Manila to Montemar, no issues. I was recording 1s tracks. On the way home, it started acting up and would reboot. Ran out of memory?

Comment

I cleaned up my unit. Took out the North America map and a bunch of other stuff. Took out all EULA, other than the American and British English. I also had mapsource transfer the RG map to the micro SD instead of the unit HD. Unit HD has only 2gb of space available. After the clean up, I have 167mb of disk space remaining.

Didn't see any degradation in performance by moving the RG map to the micro SD. So far so good. But the real test is if it will reboot after a 300km run. Let's see.

Comment

Logged for 2 hours today and no more rebooting. I believe the reboot happens when the 1490T runs out of disk space. Silly of Garmin to provide only 2gb on this model. So, my disk saving technique seems to correct the problem of rebooting.

Comment

Thanks for the update Hardright, only a hard core mapper will actually use up the 2Gig space for tracks, of course it also is used up for maps and stuff right?

What I do is to transfer (unfortunately using a PC) my 1sec tracks to my external microSD if/when I do not have time to download them and process them yet. Of course that is not possible if you are on the road.

No option that I know of that will allow us to save tracks directly to external MicroSD as well So I guess only option to save space is either to delete unnecessary maps or put most of your maps in the microSD card.

TTFN
                  Arvin

Comment

Kuya Arvin, yes. It seems logging takes place in the gps hd. So best to move the maps to the SD to save space. I bring a notebook now to move logs and clear them.

Comment

Working...
                    X