garmin 855

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

garmin 855

Hi there, I just have a question. I recently ordered a garmin 855 from the US. This gps comes with a voice activated program. I am just wondering if there wont be a problem using it in manila. Thanks

Originally posted by egcoronel@yahoo.com View Post
    Hi there, I just have a question. I recently ordered a garmin 855 from the US. This gps comes with a voice activated program. I am just wondering if there wont be a problem using it in manila. Thanks
    AFAIK there will no problem using it in the Philippines. It is compatible with the rg map
    d1754
    "Do not worry for tomorrow because tomorrow has worry of its own" - Mathew 6:34

The instruction of the wise is like a life-giving fountain;
    those who accept it avoid the snares of death
    . Proverbs 13:14

Comment

Well it will try to speak Pilipino word in English tone

Seriously, shouldn't have any problems, in fact mine is set to Australian Karen just coz I like her accent better than American Jill. Don't worry those voices should be downloadable through Garmin website as well. No Pilipino/Tagalog version though.

TTFN
      Arvin

Comment

Hello everyone. I think kuya egcoronel refers to the "voice recognition" function of the 855 as this model is supplied with a remote control that you can attach to your steering wheel. When pressed, the unit waits for vocal commands like "main menu", "back", "volume up" etc. Some sort of a handsfree function. I once chanced upon a blog wherein they've listed most of the possible commands not even listed in the 855 manual and it's really helpful. If this will work here in the Philippines? Yes kuyas, it will, regardless of whether you use Karen or Jill. The main concern though is that, I think the voice recognition software is programmed to recognize western accent or pronunciation in receiving commands which we the user likely needs to practice. Happy New Year to all!

Comment

Wow, didn't know that! Thanks for clarifications
          Though I think I saw one of those PDA/Smartphone looking Garmin models with that feature too.

Though voice recognition or voice commands have come a long way, I don't think it is still there yet! Tried the one in my Android, didn't work so well, Siri? Don't want an Iphone, but maybe accuracy of voice recognition is now getting way better. If true that it is programmed for American or Western accent, then a work around is to mimic Western accent. Maybe put in Karen, and hope that a heavy Australian accent like "Bogart the explorer" (search youtube) will help hahaha!

Me? Unfortunately my experience with Voice Recognition always ends in frustration (as of now), so I don't use them at all.

TTFN
          Arvin

Comment

Originally posted by arvin555 View Post
            Well it will try to speak Pilipino word in English tone

Seriously, shouldn't have any problems, in fact mine is set to Australian Karen just coz I like her accent better than American Jill. Don't worry those voices should be downloadable through Garmin website as well. No Pilipino/Tagalog version though.

TTFN
            Arvin
            attached is the tagalog female voice version (built-in) of my nuvi 2575
            Attached Files

Comment

Hey that is cool, didn't know there is already one!!! Thanks for the headsup!
              Is this TTS? I mean will she say Sing-galong street? instead of "Sing-along" street? Or Roxas blvd. instead of Rox-as blvd? I will test soon.

TTFN
              Arvin

Comment

Working...
              X