Nuvi overheating

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nuvi overheating

My gps is mounted on the dash, but it gets to hot, and then it goes crazy, what are the suggestions that will keep it cooler? I have air con on, obviously it need to have line of sight for the satellites, using it on a Kia Carnival.

Originally posted by jnieurzyla View Post
    My gps is mounted on the dash, but it gets to hot, and then it goes crazy, what are the suggestions that will keep it cooler? I have air con on, obviously it need to have line of sight for the satellites, using it on a Kia Carnival.
    i have my windshield tinted (medium). but that was even before i got a gpsr. so far no issues with the two different models i have. even when using them in a vehicle without windshield tint.

or maybe it is gpsr model-related.

maybe your unit is defective. could be due to other reasons. not sure really.

Comment

maybe this could help, taken from

http://home.comcast.net/~ghayman3/garmin.gps/page8.htm

Speak your truth quietly and clearly; and listen to others, even the dull and the ignorant; they too have their story.
      - Desiderata - Max Ehrmann

Comment

Please check if the heat is from the sun or radiant heat from it, or from the unit itself? My Nuvi 1350 can get quite hot sometimes as well, and that is at night. Mine is suction cup mounted on the windshield.

If you are sure it's not the unit alone that is causing the heat, then Tinting or covering might solve the problem as suggested by Kuya Pokz and Vforce

TTFN
        Arvin

Comment

If the heat comes from the unit itself then this could be a battery/charging issue. You should test the temp of the unit with charger connected and without charger, and during noon or night.

Comment

Heating nuvi

It does not fail that often, normally when driving doing a demo, to sell the gps idea to others do I get these sort of problems, alone, it works perfectly, must be murphys law.
            And normally its the suction cup that fails, allowing to fall of the dash.

I will cover it with a cloth, but will this not affect the signal quality???

Luckily if the signals reduce, I do not go to Manila often, so not many high rise on most of my routes. So I hope to get away with it.

Thank you Gps'trs

John

Comment

Suction mount on windshield loses grip and falls? Oh man I would be way more worried with this. My brother left my GPS on the suction mount on the windshield, he left for a few minutes, when he came back, the GPS was on the floor, broken display! It fell and hit the shift knob. So be very careful.

I have not had this happen to me personally while driving. My habit is that before attaching the suction cup, I exhale on the cups in order to put a bit of moisture then attach the cup on the windshield.

As for the overheating thing, I don't think that a piece of cloth cover will reduce the accuracy.

Buildings in the city does two things, they will obstruct the signals, and also make the signals bounce (Multipath) both not good for GPS accuracy.

TTFN
              Arvin

Comment

Nuvo over heating

I will have to study where to place it in a cooler position, if not then, I will trial with the cloth idea, and if necessary glue the suction to the dash, the unit itself unclips very easily when necessary.
                John

Comment

Originally posted by jnieurzyla View Post
                  I will have to study where to place it in a cooler position, if not then, I will trial with the cloth idea, and if necessary glue the suction to the dash, the unit itself unclips very easily when necessary.
                  John
                  if the suction cup is still in good condition (rubber is still flexible), a little cleaning with water and soap will usually restore its adhesive strength.

Comment

nuvi

I was out this morning for about an hour driving, there was no real sun, I did not cover the gps, when I got home, i found the back of the unit hot, not boiling, but if my coffee was this hot it would have been nice to drink.
                    So how do I have the unit checked to see if there is a problem with it, or does it run hot as this as normal working temperature?
                    Is there a reliable workshop where it can be tested?
                    Its out of warranty, and was originally purchased in the USA.
                    A Garmin nuvo 765.
                    John

Comment

Were you using in with battery only or with the cigarette lighter?

But, if Out of warranty and it's just the temperature, I'd say use it until something happens, because they will probably charge the heck out of you!

I also suspect that there might not be a real repair center here, they might send it to Taiwan or someplace else for real repair/troubleshooting

TTFN
                      Arvin

Comment

Nuvi

Use with cigarette lighter connected, and suspect you are correct, instead of repair, get a new unit!!! probably cheaper than the repair

Comment

Meantime, try it without the charger, just the battery. Just to check the difference.

My unit became quite hot when I couldn't turn it off, so I unplugged and just left it in the car (at night) when I went back, it was quite hot! But already off, battery died so the unit reset. Don't get this often anymore though.

TTFN
                          Arvin

Comment

Just spitballing here... When I had my Nuvi 255W, the unit would get a lot more warmer with the brightness set to maximum.
                            There's no place like 127.0.0.1

Comment

I am now trying it with a cloth cover over it, first impression is it seems to help, but it was not to hot today, so I will keep it on and see what happens.
                              The illumination is set at 50%

Comment

Working...
                              X