• Show
Clear All

nuvi 265W keeps rebooting - help please

nuvi 265W
    firmware version 7.40
    RG contri map 2.04
    maps are saved in nuvi memory

today:
    1. i saved a file in the garmin\jpeg folder.
    2. opened picture viewer, open the file, clicked on info and checked display at power on
    3. power-on image changed
    4. i accidentally removed the .jpg file in garmin\jpeg folder.
    5. when i restarted the GPSr, the unit keeps rebooting.

what i did:
    1. put in an SD card, unit no longer reboots
    2. saved maps in SD card, but the voice files have "Not Found" error.

problem is i cannot use the gps this way without voice prompts. need to get access again to the internal gpsr memory.

you might have experienced the same and would gladly accepts all suggestions.

thanks in advance.

the unit used to appear as USB drive when connected to the PC but this is not the case anymore.

Comment

I have not yet encountered this problem, the one that I encountered was that when I take off my SD card, the reboot stops. I dont' think it's the same problem.

However just to get the troubleshooting started:

1. Please confirm, when you plug in your GPSR to your PC, the PC detects it or not? Can you use Mapsource?

2. How did you load the map into your SD card? I mean you installed it through an SD card reader and not through your GPSR connected to the PC?

It seems that you might not have just accidentally deleted the Jpeg file, but maybe some other folders and stuff which is causing the problem. In the future, I strongly suggest that if you want to tinker with jpegs, maybe paste them in an SD card rather than in your internal GPS memory.

TTFN
      Arvin

Comment

Originally posted by arvin555 View Post
        I have not yet encountered this problem, the one that I encountered was that when I take off my SD card, the reboot stops. I dont' think it's the same problem.

However just to get the troubleshooting started:

1. Please confirm, when you plug in your GPSR to your PC, the PC detects it or not? Can you use Mapsource?

2. How did you load the map into your SD card? I mean you installed it through an SD card reader and not through your GPSR connected to the PC?

It seems that you might not have just accidentally deleted the Jpeg file, but maybe some other folders and stuff which is causing the problem. In the future, I strongly suggest that if you want to tinker with jpegs, maybe paste them in an SD card rather than in your internal GPS memory.

TTFN
        Arvin
        1. PC does not detect it. However, the GPSr is charging. When i run mapsource, it cannot locate the GPSr.

2. I insert the SD card into my card reader.

It could be the case that i accidentally deleted some files. Is there another way to re-flash the firmware? Now that the SD card has the maps, i see the map and it is able to navigate. However, i've lost all audio directions. Karen is no more.

Comment

might be best to compare what files you have in the memory with a working 265. can somebody post a screenshot of the files/folders inside 265? tia.

Sent from my iPhone4 using Tapatalk
          FAQ for Newbies? Read here.

Comment

or you can try a hard reset to make all changes default to factory settings

Comment

I used the unit today. It is able to do everything as before but without the voice prompt. When I go to tools-language-voice, "none found is written". In the vehicles selection the unit prompts that I should download from garmin.com.

Comment

Can you please try a different cable just to make sure it's not the cable, my main concern is that if you can't get your unit to be detected by your PC, how can you transfer files and stuff on your GPSR? Try a different PC as well.

If it won't work, I guess try a hard reset I can't find much reference for a hard reset for your unit though, aside from:

"Hold the bottom right side of the screen and turn the GPS back on. It will make you confirm you want to reset" From gpsreview.net

TTFN
                Arvin

Comment

tried a diff cable, diff pc and still the problem persists. did a hard reset and still problem persists.

cracked open my nuvi, disconnected the battery, reconnected after 15 minutes and still the problem exists.

i guess i'll have to bear with no voice prompts for the meantime until i get a new one or find a fix. i miss Karen already.

Comment

most probable chance is a corrupted internal memory.

voices are always saved on the internal memory.

Comment

Yepz one thing u could do is reflash or re install ur firmware or try a different fw

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                      That which is above is also that which is below - Emerald Tablet of Hermes Trismegistus

Love and Light - Zohar

Comment

tried using web updater. previous fw was 7.40. after i encountered these problems i downloaded and installed 7.50. still, no voice navigation prompts.

Comment

Waitaminute, were you able to actually use the webupdater successfully?
                          If that is the case then your unit is already "talking" to your PC? If so there is hope!

If it really is just the voice files, they are available for download. But as I said, how to put them into your unit when you can't access the files in your unit

TTFN
                          Arvin

Comment

Maybe you accidentally deleted the garmin/voice folder (in your Gpsr) or its contents. It should contain individual voice file (*.vpm files), ex.English_Australian_Karen.vpm. I think you can download (maybe) one voice file from the internet and test it again... same with the garmin/vehicle folder which contain *.srf files.

Comment

does it beep when you press a button/icon on touch screen? if not speaker may be busted, not sure though

Comment

Working...
                              X