Nuvi internal battery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nuvi internal battery

It just occurred to me that since the Nuvi's all came with internal batteries and snap-on plastic bodies, what happens when the battery wears out in say, 3-4 years (typical lifespan of Li-Ion cells)?

I tried Googling for disassembly instructions but to no avail.
    There's no place like 127.0.0.1

x2 for this question... what's gonna happen if battery is no longer good? I don't want my nuvi to be stuck in the car
    sending it back to US for battery replacement seems expensive. perhaps the store in cubao can do it? I hope
    if that happens i'll just switch to xt then. hehhehheh
    Last edited by Ragrat; 04-28-2009, 14:00.

Comment

Originally posted by Ragrat View Post
      x2 for this question... what's gonna happen if battery is no longer good? I don't want my nuvi to be stuck in the car
      sending it back to US for battery replacement seems expensive. perhaps the store in cubao can do it? I hope
      if that happens i'll just switch to xt then. hehhehheh
      in 3-4 years the replacement battery will be more expensive than a new unit...

i saw a how to somehwere but forgot where, it's doable
      How to get the upgraded map.

It's a sick world and I'm a happy man...

Comment

Just an update.

There are two screws under the serial number sticker behind and at the bottom of the unit. You can feel the screw holes when you run your fingers along the sticker.

Replacement Li-Ion batteries are quite abundant. You can get one off eBay for about $10 + shipping. Small price to pay rather than trashing the unit or having Garmin do the repair.

I found a video on how to replace the battery on a Nuvi 760. I imagine that the same disassembly procedure can be applied to most Nuvi's.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qXXzsi9Ures
        There's no place like 127.0.0.1

Comment

Possible to run without the battery?

I was wondering if my Nuvi 1690 can still run on external power if I physically remove the battery. This will make it lighter also.

Comment

Working...
          X