please suggest new GPSr to buy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

please suggest new GPSr to buy

will get going to the US in two weeks' time.

i would appreciate if you can suggest some good models (new) to buy. budget is from $ 90-120.

looking for 4 inch displays and above.

thanks.
    Last edited by desertfox615; 07-12-2012, 16:19.

If you go to the US often, I suggest buying one of those LM models, like Nuvi 50Lm, Nuvi 1300LM etc etc. so that at least you can get a free lifetime update maps. If you just go there often, if not then no need.

Best Buy/Amazon, B&H consider online stores, specially if you buy them out of state, so that you won't have to pay sales tax. B&H for example is in NY, when I got a laptop of my mom, I had it sent to NJ and it was tax free, while if I went to the store and bought it, I'd have to pay sales tax.

Models:

1. Older models still work, but that is only if you want to get the cheapest GPS possible, the Nuvi 2xx series for example. Otherwise any of the Nuvi 12XX and 13XX series are nice and cheap.

2. I just got to play around for a day a Nuvi 2426, it's nice, there are more menus which got me a bit confused going through the menus, but I say, the touch screen is way better, and it as an auto landscape/portrait format (like an iphone). It comes with My routes or what not, the one that says it will learn your preference when you take the same route often. Unfortunately didn't get to test this feature

What I don't like is that now they have 2 cables, one is the mini USB and the other is the Micro USB, I think it's stupid, but maybe they have their reasons.

TTFN
    Arvin

Comment

Originally posted by arvin555 View Post
      If you go to the US often, I suggest buying one of those LM models, like Nuvi 50Lm, Nuvi 1300LM etc etc. so that at least you can get a free lifetime update maps. If you just go there often, if not then no need.

Best Buy/Amazon, B&H consider online stores, specially if you buy them out of state, so that you won't have to pay sales tax. B&H for example is in NY, when I got a laptop of my mom, I had it sent to NJ and it was tax free, while if I went to the store and bought it, I'd have to pay sales tax.

Models:

1. Older models still work, but that is only if you want to get the cheapest GPS possible, the Nuvi 2xx series for example. Otherwise any of the Nuvi 12XX and 13XX series are nice and cheap.

2. I just got to play around for a day a Nuvi 2426, it's nice, there are more menus which got me a bit confused going through the menus, but I say, the touch screen is way better, and it as an auto landscape/portrait format (like an iphone). It comes with My routes or what not, the one that says it will learn your preference when you take the same route often. Unfortunately didn't get to test this feature

What I don't like is that now they have 2 cables, one is the mini USB and the other is the Micro USB, I think it's stupid, but maybe they have their reasons.

TTFN
      Arvin
      Do these do 1-sec logging?
      Experiencia Docet

Comment

unfortunately I can't answer that question sorry as I really don't have that unit.

I do know that Nuvi 1300 does have 1sec logging, even the LM version.
        I think Nuvi 12xx series also does have 1 sec logging.

TTFN
        Arvin
        Last edited by arvin555; 07-13-2012, 21:25.

Comment

i bought my nuvi 50 at amazon with free shipping at California. 4.3 inch model are on sale now, try checking them at the website.

Comment

yes nuvi 30, 40, 50 records 1-sec tracks. however, it lacks features like picture browser, deleting trip logs and mass deletion of favorites, you have to delete it 1 by 1... etc. which were present at the old 2XX models, hope garmin will update it...

Comment

Originally posted by Kutzer View Post
              yes nuvi 30, 40, 50 records 1-sec tracks. however, it lacks features like picture browser, deleting trip logs and mass deletion of favorites, you have to delete it 1 by 1... etc. which were present at the old 2XX models, hope garmin will update it...
              some feedbacks say that the nuvi 50 has some pixelation as compared to 4.3" models. is the pixelation very evident to be a deal breaker. i would love a bigger screen though.

Comment

Never experienced pixelations in my 50. Even when left in a hot dashboard during long trips. Aside from the usual bells and whistle found in a 1350 the only thing missing is the presence of the POI icons during navigation. I don't know if this is model related but they both have the same map. The positive side is the screen is less cluttered.

Comment

Originally posted by desertfox615 View Post
                  some feedbacks say that the nuvi 50 has some pixelation as compared to 4.3" models. is the pixelation very evident to be a deal breaker. i would love a bigger screen though.
                  yes that's true, but its tolerable though (Just imagine a 4.3" screen zoomed in to fit a 5" screen)

Comment

For deleting favorites. I read or heard this tip from here in RG, and I still do it.

1. Download all your Waypoints in Mapsource.
                    2. Delete all the waypoints you do not want (still in mapsource)
                    3. Delete all waypoints from your GPSR.
                    4. Upload the waypoints from mapsource to your GPSR.

I actually still do this even though my unit has a way to tick one by one which ones I want to delete from my GPSR.

Not sure if the above will help Nuvi 50 users and the likes.

TTFN
                    Arvin

Comment

Originally posted by desertfox615 View Post
                      will get going to the US in two weeks' time.

i would appreciate if you can suggest some good models (new) to buy. budget is from $ 90-120.

looking for 4 inch displays and above.

thanks.
                      I suggest you buy 2360LMT or for 5" 2460LMT model because of its voice command features and faster responses.
                      Here is my own video demonstrating the voice command features.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ZOwl9Kpl_Q

Comment

Originally posted by pyth777 View Post
                        I suggest you buy 2360LMT or for 5" 2460LMT model because of its voice command features and faster responses.
                        Here is my own video demonstrating the voice command features.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ZOwl9Kpl_Q

nice one pyth. thanks for the video.

Comment

get an "old" cost effective model like the 255W. A refurbished unit runs around 80usd at amazon. tried and tested, none of the "extras" other newer models have, but since you'll be using it mostly here in the philippines especially with the RG map, you won't be missing the other features.
                          no waypoint left unturned

Comment

Originally posted by bunta510 View Post
                            get an "old" cost effective model like the 255W. A refurbished unit runs around 80usd at amazon. tried and tested, none of the "extras" other newer models have, but since you'll be using it mostly here in the philippines especially with the RG map, you won't be missing the other features.

255W is ok, but I don't think it has a 1sec track recording.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by eccm View Post
                              255W is ok, but I don't think it has a 1sec track recording.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
                              Yup, no 1-sec tracking, but agree that refurbished ones are cheap. I was able to get a one last year for $54.99 at Amazon

Comment

Working...
                              X