Help with nuvi 250

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help with nuvi 250

Help please! my pc cannot seem to detect my gps unit. I connected both using a usb cord from my digital camera since i do not have a garmin supplied usb cord yet. Would this be the problem? The gps starts charging whenever i connect it to my laptop but the device is never detected. What's wrong?

You didn't mention if you installed Mapsource or not. Most if not all Garmin GPS device drivers comes with it and are installed at the same time with Mapsource.
    There's no place like 127.0.0.1

Comment

Originally posted by oj88 View Post
      You didn't mention if you installed Mapsource or not. Most if not all Garmin GPS device drivers comes with it and are installed at the same time with Mapsource.
      Gamma, when you install Mapsource you also install the USB drivers that will let your PC detect your device even as a mass storage device...

Comment

Originally posted by Borgie View Post
        Gamma, when you install Mapsource you also install the USB drivers that will let your PC detect your device even as a mass storage device...
        Hmmm.. I never have to go through that, in my case. Just installed Mapsource and both my laptop and PC detected all the GPS that I own: Nuvi 255W (USB), Mobile XT on my smartphone (USB), and eTrex Venture (RS232).

Or maybe the computer OS could be a factor, as I'm running Vista Ultimate on both.

Comment

Originally posted by oj88 View Post
          Hmmm.. I never have to go through that, in my case. Just installed Mapsource and both my laptop and PC detected all the GPS that I own: Nuvi 255W (USB), Mobile XT on my smartphone (USB), and eTrex Venture (RS232).

Or maybe the computer OS could be a factor, as I'm running Vista Ultimate on both.
          I'll rephrase it as you did not get my drift: when you install Mapsource, USB drivers for the GPS are automatically installed as well (part of the Mapsource installer). It's sub-folder can be found under the Mapsource folder.

Comment

Originally posted by Borgie View Post
            I'll rephrase it as you did not get my drift: when you install Mapsource, USB drivers for the GPS are automatically installed as well (part of the Mapsource installer). It's sub-folder can be found under the Mapsource folder.
            That's clearer.

Comment

Thanks everyone

Thanks for all of your input. I finally figured out the problem, and as i suspected it had something to do with the cable. I went to the mall and got myself a usb cable made for nokia smart phones and it worked fine... i searched the net and found others who had similar problems. Apparently not all cables are made the same... Thanks guys

Comment

Garmin Nuvi 250

Originally posted by gamma View Post
                Thanks for all of your input. I finally figured out the problem, and as i suspected it had something to do with the cable. I went to the mall and got myself a usb cable made for nokia smart phones and it worked fine... i searched the net and found others who had similar problems. Apparently not all cables are made the same... Thanks guys
                Just for info: when you connect your nuvi 250 to your pc, it should detect your garmin unit as 2 mass storage devices i.e. one drive letter for the internal memory of the unit and another drive letter for the external memory).

Comment

Working...
                X