looking for this feature....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

looking for this feature....

I've narrowed my search for a Nuvi. 1350 or 1690 (not really sure though, with all the specs i have to consider - quite confusing).. the 3790 would be sweet though...

- i dont need bluetooth, and i know all the other feature (lifetime maps/traffic/lane assist etc.) are useless...

But there is one feature that i am not sure if any Nuvis can do.... Can anyone please enlighten me... Here it is... "Lets say i have a planned route to go to a far off place, like a beach... Can i program a Nuvi which exact path i have to take?"

The way i see things...the Nuvi just points you to the best path there is.... What if a certain provincial road is closed or only goes one way, or its a dirt road my vehicle cant handle... I want to do this because i get lost on my way to that place all the time...

I would appreciate any help. Thanks.

hi tris, go for a nuvi with a Trip Planner capability. a garmin 3760t has this
    Speak your truth quietly and clearly; and listen to others, even the dull and the ignorant; they too have their story.
    - Desiderata - Max Ehrmann

Comment

Did not know that there are nuvis with trip planning capabilities, should ask for a demo next time from one of the members who has a 3760T, that would be a cool feature.

On the other hand I have a 1350 and it doesn't, so what I do is a bit more tedious but I do this if I want a specific route.

1. I use mapsource to determine the route I want to take, and take note of the junctions and stuff.

2. Using my Garmin I either use POIs or add a favorite manually.

3. Then if I only have 1 Via point, then I just go to the destination, and then search for the via point and then choose that and then choose "use as via point". Don't know if we can use multiple via points?

4. Anyway if there are more via points than just 1, then what I do is just save them as favorites and then choose it as next destination after I reach the first one.

I am sure that the trip planning feature will be way less complicated though

TTFN
      Arvin

Comment

to add... in a TripPlanner you can add as many via points as you like then save it as one trip... no need for a pc
        Speak your truth quietly and clearly; and listen to others, even the dull and the ignorant; they too have their story.
        - Desiderata - Max Ehrmann

Comment

I guess okay na ang using mapsource for me.....

i found this on Youtube...
          http://www.youtube.com/embed/ZUz1LvV2dsI

So are all Nuvis capable of importing your own "Route"? thru Mapsource?....
          Because on the specs sheets of Nuvis that i see, ang 1350 has "Zero" Routes , 1450 & 1690 has 10 routes and the latest models can handle 100 routes...

Arvin...you have a 1350, and you can make custom routes thru mapsource, thats how i understand this...And the specs sheet says the 1350 has 0-routes... So i guess the specs sheets are wrong, or the "Navigational Routes" on the above^ are a different thing...

Maybe the 1350 will be enough for me then, provided it does give me the ability to add custom routes, even though just thru Mapsource...
          Last edited by tris; 03-10-2013, 10:44.

Comment

Originally posted by tris View Post
            I guess okay na ang using mapsource for me.....

i found this on Youtube...
            http://www.youtube.com/embed/ZUz1LvV2dsI

So are all Nuvis capable of importing your own "Route"? thru Mapsource?....
            Because on the specs sheets of Nuvis that i see, ang 1350 has "Zero" Routes , 1450 & 1690 has 10 routes and the latest models can handle 100 routes...

Arvin...you have a 1350, and you can make custom routes thru mapsource, thats how i understand this...And the specs sheet says the 1350 has 0-routes... So i guess the specs sheets are wrong, or the "Navigational Routes" on the above^ are a different thing...

Maybe the 1350 will be enough for me then, provided it does give me the ability to add custom routes, even though just thru Mapsource...
            just go with the model that accepts custom routes. that should satisfy your need.

the specs sheet is correct. arvin's model does not accept custom routes so he has to put several custom waypoints along his planned route as a workaround. having a model that accepts routes thru mapsource is better and simpler.

Comment

Yeah, sorry to inform you that I have never been able to upload routes done using mapsource to my unit

That is why I have to do the long manual version

Oh by the way, I am not sure if the other models you are interested in has it, but I understand the newer models have really nice touch screen displays, even finger gestures (what do they call them?) like smart phones. That is nice coz you can just use your two fingers to zoom in and out quickly.

TTFN
              Arvin

Comment

Working...
              X