Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cannot use your NUVI while charging in the car?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cannot use your NUVI while charging in the car?

Garmin introduced a new way of charging their GPS devices. This basically involves changing the pinout of its USB type wall and car chargers. Originally, you could connect any mini-USB wall charger to a Garmin unit and it would charge fine with no issues of going into PC-Mode. This article describes what PC-Mode is and how to get out of it if needed

What is PC-Mode?

If you need to update your Garmin GPS unit and add new maps, you’ll typically connect a USB to mini-USB cable from your computer to your GPS unit. This puts the unit into “PC-Mode" or a mode that allows the computer to talk to the GPS unit. You can’t use the device in this mode since it is updating maps or preferences for the next use. When you plug in a generic wall charger and the device goes into PC-Mode, you also can’t use it at this time, because the GPS unit thinks that it will be receiving information soon.

Does my GPS charge when in PC-Mode?

Since PC-Mode is just like connecting your GPS to the computer, it still charges while connected to a generic charger. You can verify this by getting out of PC-Mode and looking at the battery icon to see it in a charging state.

How do I get my device out of PC-Mode?

There are 2 ways to do this....

1st way) The actual procedure differs with different models, but the concept is the same. Simply plugging in the wall adapter, wait for the device to go into PC-Mode, then unplug it and plug it back in when you see the GPS unit start to load the maps. Plugging in the USB charger before or after the unit loads the maps will return it back into PC-Mode.
    The GPS will then continue to load and you should see the main welcome screen. If you don't see this displayed (or similar screen) and the GPS unit goes back into PC-Mode, try unplugging the USB adapter and plugging it in again only when the unit is starting to load the maps.

2nd way)Go to the test page (press the battery icon for 8-9 seconds), then you can plug in your USB cable, USB charger, etc. Then exit the test screen. The Nuvi will reboot then it will work normally.

AND BTW, DO THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK
    Empty your mind, be formless. Shapeless, like water. If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle and it becomes the bottle. You put it in a teapot it becomes the teapot. Now, water can flow or it can crash. Be water my friend.
    - Bruce Lee

http://www.youtube.com/v/7m-SEdOKrE4...yer_detailpage

Masta HBT,

Does this apply to latest version Nuvis only?

Well I ask because I never had any problems using generic USB chargers, wall chargers, cig lighter chargers with my Nuvi 1350. I think it has to do with the Pinouts of the USB cable.

TTFN
    Arvin

Comment

for my 205, i have to use solution number 2.
      Dunno if this will work for the newer models since i don't have $$$ to buy a new model nuvi to experiment.
      peram naman kuya arv ng $$$
      Last edited by hbt; 04-02-2013, 22:53.
      Empty your mind, be formless. Shapeless, like water. If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle and it becomes the bottle. You put it in a teapot it becomes the teapot. Now, water can flow or it can crash. Be water my friend.
      - Bruce Lee

http://www.youtube.com/v/7m-SEdOKrE4...yer_detailpage

Comment

Me too, don't have money to buy new models!

Thanks for the info and clarification, so it's for older Nuvi models as well.

TTFN
        Arvin

Comment

Rewirng your mini-USB connector allows you to navigate while charging via the USB socket. I followed the wiring mod here and it works on my Nuvi 780.
          http://pinoutsguide.com/GPS/garmin_n...r_pinout.shtml

There's a cigarette charger on the bike to convert 12v from the battery to the 5v that is needed for the USB.

-------------------------
          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by notsofast View Post
            Rewirng your mini-USB connector allows you to navigate while charging via the USB socket. I followed the wiring mod here and it works on my Nuvi 780.
            http://pinoutsguide.com/GPS/garmin_n...r_pinout.shtml

There's a cigarette charger on the bike to convert 12v from the battery to the 5v that is needed for the USB.

-------------------------

on my Nuvi 40, using the USB data cable connected to the car's DIN,

an alternative method is:

3rd way)Go to the test page (press the battery icon for 8-9 seconds), then you can plug in your USB cable, USB charger, etc. Then press power button three times quickly, screen will show Battery Cahraging, then press power button three times again and it will reboot to navigation while being charged. (I guess this is a long way of the second method, just posting FYI)

Comment

Working...
            X