Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best PI map for hiway driving

Hi, several questions:

I am using a map in my Garmin Nuvi 255W gmapprom showing a date of 2/16/2010. A good map when driving around Subic and Angeles City. I am not sure where the map came from as I bought it with the map already installed. It has detailed roads of Barretto and Olongapo in it so I think it is a pretty good map but is that the best map to be using?

Also, I cannot download routes from mapping software onto my 255W. Does it support routes or just waypoints?

And finally, if I were to buy a new Garmin, which is the best (cheapest) model that will work well on a Baraco Kawasaki 175? One that again, supports downloaded third party routes?

Thanks and sorry if these are redundant. So much info out there to sort thru.

Jeff in Subic

Originally posted by oilwelldoctor View Post
    Hi, several questions:

I am using a map in my Garmin Nuvi 255W gmapprom showing a date of 2/16/2010. A good map when driving around Subic and Angeles City. I am not sure where the map came from as I bought it with the map already installed. It has detailed roads of Barretto and Olongapo in it so I think it is a pretty good map but is that the best map to be using?

Also, I cannot download routes from mapping software onto my 255W. Does it support routes or just waypoints?

And finally, if I were to buy a new Garmin, which is the best (cheapest) model that will work well on a Baraco Kawasaki 175? One that again, supports downloaded third party routes?

Thanks and sorry if these are redundant. So much info out there to sort thru.

Jeff in Subic
    Welcome to RG Jeff

the map installed on your garmin 255W is (wild guess) OSM which was last updated on February 16 2010

routes uploaded to gps are sometimes too picky... i cannot also upload routes to all of my units

lastly, it's your call, as long as you have a holder/mount tough enough for motorcycle riding and to keep it dry plus you have to have a power supply to keep it running for as long as you want to ride your
    Speak your truth quietly and clearly; and listen to others, even the dull and the ignorant; they too have their story.
    - Desiderata - Max Ehrmann

Comment

Thanks for the help. Trouble with all this technology is if I don't stay up with it, it becomes a real chore to use it. I am planning a trip to Angeles City from Barretto today on my Barako. I see my Garmin 255W won't accept downloaded waypoints any longer from Google Earth. Like the tread I read the other day, a guy just printed a map from Google Maps and taped it to his gas tank. No time to fool with it!!! I put coordinates in my Garmin manually. Does the trick.

After your advice, and my troubles, I am going to stick with the PI map I have. It works good enough for me and I don't want to tempt fate. The map I have of Almaty Kazakhstan on my Garmin is fair, but a map I downloaded from Nokia to my smartphone was way better. Nokia had some good maps, at least several years ago. Free too!

Again, thanks for the help. Sorry for the repeated answers.

Jeff in Subic

Comment

I see my Garmin 255W won't accept downloaded waypoints any longer from Google Earth.
        pass through mapsource / basecamp send to gps. will work.
        How to get the upgraded map.

It's a sick world and I'm a happy man...

Comment

Welcome to Roadguide!

Kindly try to download Roadguide's free map (file name gmasupp.img) and copy paste to your Nuvi 255W's microSD card. You can switch between the gmapprom map and the RG map (check/uncheck either map) in your device so you can compare and see for yourself which map is more suited for your use in terms of road coverage, POIs and routing. Better yet, be an RG contributor and get the best updated map of the Philippines for FREE...

Comment

Thanks for the help you guys. I really appreciate it. As for passing thru Basecamp or another prog. Yeah, I know, quicker to use the print and tape to the gas tank method though(long as it don't rain)! I don't do this stuff very often. As for your downloaded map, well I am afraid that I will screw up the one I have now. It works! That is why I was looking to buy another GPS; something to play with and keep this 255W in the trenches so to speak. It used to accept waypoints from Google! At least when I used it in the USSA on my motorcycle treks there. It will still upload tracks, but this is of little use to me.

Garmin's equipment is good but their software and support sucks. Emailed them a week ago and still no response. Basecamp is quite cumbersome and I am not sure if Garmin will even sell me a map of the PI. They show an Asia map on their website but no place to buy and no price. Suspect they want me to buy it here form a local vendor. No thanks!

I like your quote too. It is rather good isn't it!!

Jeff in Subic

Comment

Speak your truth quietly and clearly; and listen to others, even the dull and the ignorant; they too have their story.

Comment

first time I went to subic using my garmin with roadguide, and i can vouch for it. most waypoints are included. i am pertaining to the contributor map though
                no waypoint left unturned

Comment

Thanks to you both for your comments. VFORCE3; if you sent me a link, it didn't show up clearly. I am not inclined to do any downloading now anyway, but thanks for the thoughts.

My trek to Angeles went without a hitch. Took the highway thru Olongapo as the Garmin suggested. Thru the hills on the other side and out Dinalupihan (man that is a mouthful!). On to Floridablanca and Porac. Made it all the way to my hotel which I had as a manually-input waypoint. Leaving I let the Garmin calculate the route again and it took me back on a little longer route, mileage wise. Thru San Fernando. A nice wide highway most places though so I doubt it cost me much time. The PI is so pretty early in the morning before the heat and the trikes!!! This was Saturday morning so not much activity anyway.

So, I will check you guys from time to time, and when I have some extra pesos, I might buy a newer unit. But for now, my Nuvi 255W stays in the drawer as-is.

Oh, I almost lost it when I failed to charge it for about 3 months. It wouldn't connect to the computer and wouldn't load maps. About ready to pitch it but left it connected to the computer for a couple hours and apparently the battery got enough juice to boot. I replaced the battery in the unit once already with an aftermarket one. I need to remember to keep this thing charged. Lesson of all this is; if your unit won't boot, change or charge the battery before shilling out more money to buy a new one.

Again, thanks for the support.

Jeff in Barretto

Comment

never sent you a link

Comment

Hi VFORCE3

This is what I saw. Sorry it is probably your blog link. As you can see, the first part is unreadable. All this technology!!! Great stuff if you have the inclination. Afraid I am not that bright. I do enjoy it.

.-- .. .-.. .-.. .. .- -- MS6.16.3/BC4.0.5/Nuvi1300/3760T/1350/2DinCarNav/SGalaxyY/GrandDuos/TK102GPSTrkr/Navitel/MapFactorNav

What a nice place to be; the Philippines. No Predator Drones, no cameras no SWAT teams, armed personnel carriers, etc; license plate pics. Just the cops, who can't afford breathalyzers or radar guns. Most polite too if you respect them; which I always do. Saw a post the other day 85% positive rating toward America here. Suspect these people are mostly not in Manila and not intellectuals. Mostly due to US foreign aid, and a former US presence. Things have changed in America; and not for the better (IMHO). Glad most still like the image though. Getting on a political rant. Sorry!! Not my intention. Nice place to ride the highways. GPS certainly helps!!!

Thanks again,

Jeff in Barretto

Comment

Hi VFORCE3

This is what I saw. Sorry it is probably your blog link. As you can see, the first part is unreadable. All this technology!!! Great stuff if you have the inclination. Afraid I am not that bright. I do enjoy it.

.-- .. .-.. .-.. .. .- -- MS6.16.3/BC4.0.5/Nuvi1300/3760T/1350/2DinCarNav/SGalaxyY/GrandDuos/TK102GPSTrkr/Navitel/MapFactorNav

What a nice place to be; the Philippines. No Predator Drones, no cameras no SWAT teams, armed personnel carriers, etc; license plate pics. Just the cops, who can't afford breathalyzers or radar guns. Most polite too if you respect them; which I always do. Saw a post the other day 85% positive rating toward America here. Suspect these people are mostly not in Manila and not intellectuals. Mostly due to US foreign aid, and a former US presence. Things have changed in America; and not for the better (IMHO). Glad most still like the image though. Getting on a political rant. Sorry!! Not my intention. Nice place to ride the highways. GPS certainly helps!!!

Thanks again,

Jeff in Barretto

the first row is a morse code

the second row: some of my toys

Comment

Working...
                        X