Nuvi 255W not detected at home PC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nuvi 255W not detected at home PC

Guys I need your help....here's the situation.

A. PC at the office detects my Nuvi 255w
    I have a pc at the office with win7, 64bit and it detects my Nuvi255W's drives, the System drive and the Mass Storage drive.
    I could only make file transfers from and to these drives. We cannot install mapsource or any other programs in our office PC as
    it is controlled by our Admin. We have only limited rights.

B. PC at home does not detect my Nuvi 255w
    I have a pc at home running the same win7, 64bit but it does not detect my Nuvi255W when the usb cable is connected, it says
    error in connecting the device. I thought at first it was mapsource and training center as they are the ones that are not detecting
    my device, but when I uninstalled these programs last night out of desperation, I tried checking if my pc could see my device, but
    it does not see my nuvi 255W... now I know its more than just mapsource and training center, as my home pc itself finds error in
    detecting my device.

Every time I remove the usb cable from the nuvi and reconnect it, it will try to connect but it always ends up in error in detecting
    my device....

Any idea where should i look?

I've been dying to unload the waypoints i've accumulated last weekend trip, but its in my nuvi255W and I really would like to upload last
    night but my pc is not connecting with my device... and my office pc would not just allow me to use mapsource so that i could extract those
    waypoints from my nuvi 255W....
    Last edited by nyube; 07-23-2013, 09:34.

Originally posted by nyube View Post
    Guys I need your help....here's the situation.

A. PC at the office detects my Nuvi 255w
    I have a pc at the office with win7, 64bit and it detects my Nuvi255W's drives, the System drive and the Mass Storage drive.
    I could only make file transfers from and to these drives. We cannot install mapsource or any other programs in our office PC as
    it is controlled by our Admin. We have only limited rights.

B. PC at home does not detect my Nuvi 255w
    I have a pc at home running the same win7, 64bit but it does not detect my Nuvi255W when the usb cable is connected, it says
    error in connecting the device. I thought at first it was mapsource and training center as they are the ones that are not detecting
    my device, but when I uninstalled these programs last night out of desperation, I tried checking if my pc could see my device, but
    it does not see my nuvi 255W... now I know its more than just mapsource and training center, as my home pc itself finds error in
    detecting my device.

Every time I remove the usb cable from the nuvi and reconnect it, it will try to connect but it always ends up in error in detecting
    my device....

Any idea where should i look?

I've been dying to unload the waypoints i've accumulated last weekend trip, but its in my nuvi255W and I really would like to upload last
    night but my pc is not connecting with my device... and my office pc would not just allow me to use mapsource so that i could extract those
    waypoints from my nuvi 255W....
    Install garmin USB drivers.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    How to get the upgraded map.

It's a sick world and I'm a happy man...

Comment

Originally posted by Jan View Post
      Install garmin USB drivers.

Okay Sir Jan, I'll try that again tonight... just for confirmation that we are talking
      of the same drivers set... is this link the right set of drivers.
      ================================================== ============
      http://www8.garmin.com/support/downl...ils.jsp?id=592

USB Drivers software version 2.3.1
      as of May 11, 2012 (5.09 MB)

Notes:

This setup will install / pre-load all Garmin USB Drivers on your system and upgrade older versions if found.
      These drivers are designed for use with those GPS units that support USB transfer of data to/from the PC - not to include the iQue. This setup also includes the drivers for the USB Data Card Programmer.
      This setup combines the initial install and updates for both the USB GPS drivers and the USB Data Card Programmer drivers.
      Garmin GPS USB Drivers support Windows XP 64-bit, Vista 64-bit, and Windows 7 64-bit.
      Garmin USB Data Card Programmer drivers do not support 64-bit operating systems at this time.
      Garmin GPS USB Drivers have passed the Microsoft Logo Certification testing (Winqual) for all OS's up to and including Windows 7 x64
      Simplified user interface.
      .NET framework 3.5 SP1 is required. A current version of .NET will be installed if needed.
      Windows Media Player 11 or greater is required (a free download from Microsoft).
      ================================================== ============

i hope this works tonight and be done with my mapsource installation in preparation for waypoint uploads....

By the way, in case im not successful tonight in connecting my nuvi... are there any other alternatives I could use
      to extract those plotted waypoints from "My Favorites" so that I could just plot it back to MAPSOURCE?
      Last edited by nyube; 07-23-2013, 11:02.

Comment

Those look like the one yes.
        (Btw you did try other cables db?)

How to get the upgraded map.

It's a sick world and I'm a happy man...

Comment

Originally posted by Jan View Post
          Those look like the one yes.
          (Btw you did try other cables db?)

yes sir.... three cables actually, those cables were the ones i used to connect at our office pc....
          anyway, i'll keep trying and see what will solve this problem.

Comment

there are usually 4 usb ports on the rear of motherboards ... and maybe 2 more usb ports on the front of casing ... have you tried all of them?

Comment

Originally posted by kinyo View Post
              there are usually 4 usb ports on the rear of motherboards ... and maybe 2 more usb ports on the front of casing ... have you tried all of them?
              Sir Kinyo, just resolved my problem a while ago. It was the Cable just as sir "Jan" suggested.
              I tried checking for a fourth cable... and Viola! my PC recognized it after a few seconds from
              connecting the fourth cable... from there I know... mapsource and training center will read
              my nuvi... but my head is itching to know the reason behind this cables.

I tried "googling" for "micro usb types" and I found "type A" and "type B"....
              Visually they don't seem to make a difference to me... but the time and the trouble
              that this USB types made a difference to me tonight...anyway, here's what i found.

Here's a close up of the cables that i used comparing the ones that got me error
              and the one that solved my problem... am I correct to conclude that Nuvi255's
              usb cable type is "micro usb type B"? check this photo...
              Mini USB A & B.jpg

Mods... case closed hehehe, thanks for the help...
              Last edited by nyube; 07-24-2013, 08:34.

Comment

Working...
              X