Nuvi 50 from US

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nuvi 50 from US

I'm going back to the Philippines from the US. Im bringing a Nuvi 50 with US map. Can I use the turn by turn feature of this model in the Philippines (Luzon, Visayas and Mindanao) with the street names just by uploading the standard "unlocked" RG map?

I'd like to know what is the difference between a Garmin gps bought in the Philippines and this Nuvi if I upload the map for RG.

If this question has been asked before, I'm sorry I can't find it.

Thanks!

Originally posted by DennisM View Post
    I'm going back to the Philippines from the US. Im bringing a Nuvi 50 with US map. Can I use the turn by turn feature of this model in the Philippines (Luzon, Visayas and Mindanao) with the street names just by uploading the standard "unlocked" RG map?

I'd like to know what is the difference between a Garmin gps bought in the Philippines and this Nuvi if I upload the map for RG.

If this question has been asked before, I'm sorry I can't find it.

Thanks!
    None actually. If you install the same map version then you will get the same features. As long as there are street names in the map, then the turn-by-turn function should work (of which the standard map has).

Comment

im using nuvi 50 for more than a year now. no problem so far (except for upgrading my firmware). just upload our map and you're all set.

Comment

I got the same problem now except that my unit comes from Australia. Can you help?

Can you anybody help me how to download the Philippine maps? Do I need to secure a memory card for it? If yes where can I buy one?

Comment

Please read the FAQ here:
          https://roadguide.ph/forums/showthre...ot-for-Newbies

Basically read section A and Section B.

To answer your question about microSD card, you might need it, depending on if you want to keep your US map in your Nuvi. The US map is so big it will take up a lot of the internal storage space of your unit. BUT you might still be able to squeeze in the RG map in there.

If there is no more space (specially if you plan to update your US map in the future) then you should buy a microSD card, heck I used one from CDRking. I am using 2GB, but I think 1GB should be enough, heck 512mb should be enough. There are so many microSD cards being given for free when you buy a smartphone, they usually are too small for smartphone use, so use those and buy a bigger card for your smart phone... that is what my brother did, use his small microSD 1GB that came with his smartphone and bought a bigger 4GB one to use on his phone.

Lastly, please understand the free RG map is a bit old, you are encouraged to read through the "how to be a contributor" and become a contributor to access the latest map. If you want to know how big the difference is between the two, download the latest Demo map.

TTFN
          Arvin

Comment

How to remove US map in my Nuvi 50

Coriks

Good Day Arvinn.. Any idea how to remove the US Map in my Nuvi 50?

Tnx

Comment

Sure, I have some idea Coriks,

I assume that you want to delete the US map, because we want to free up space for your RG map?

1. Please note that if ever you have any plans to go to the US, best not to delete it, my brother bought a Garmin US map (lifetime) and we kept the map and update it before going to the US, saved me a bit of money from buying a map there or renting.

You can buy a cheap microSD card to install your local map in.

2. However if you say you really do not plan on going to the US and that you really want to delete the very big US map. We just need to look and search the RG forum, I'm sure it is mentioned here somewhere, on where the map is and how you can delete. OF course "disclaimer" you do it at your own risk, so best is to make sure you backup all the files in your Garmin PND first before you start deleting stuff.

here please read through this topic and the external links posted:
              http://RoadGuide.ph/forums/showthrea...light=multiple

The US map might be named as gmapprom.img and might be in a ".system" folder, which is usually hidden, so make sure you turn on the "show hidden files" of Windows exploerr. if you can't find the folder, let me know.

TTFN
              Arvin
              Last edited by arvin555; 03-17-2015, 18:31.

Comment

US map name

May I know what the file name is for the US? I'm assuming its the largest file, Over 1 gb. I'm using a Nuvi 200 and with the latest map update of the Philippines, I'm running low on internal Memory.

Also, I'm trying to load the Philippine map on a Nuvi 44 my friend brought back from the US. I dragged the file the same way I do with the Nuvi 200 and it doesn't seem to read it. I also looked at the files of the Nuvi 44 and can't file any maps with the same format. Does it use the same map format?

thanks

Comment

Originally posted by coriks View Post
                  Coriks

Good Day Arvinn.. Any idea how to remove the US Map in my Nuvi 50?

Tnx
                  Dont remove it or delete it just RENAME IT.. it might be usefull later if goin back to the US anyway even you dont delete there is a lot of space in your garmin for philippine map.

Comment

Originally posted by enegue View Post
                    May I know what the file name is for the US? I'm assuming its the largest file, Over 1 gb. I'm using a Nuvi 200 and with the latest map update of the Philippines, I'm running low on internal Memory.

Also, I'm trying to load the Philippine map on a Nuvi 44 my friend brought back from the US. I dragged the file the same way I do with the Nuvi 200 and it doesn't seem to read it. I also looked at the files of the Nuvi 44 and can't file any maps with the same format. Does it use the same map format?

thanks
                    All map built in installed have generic file name of gmapprom.img there is no particular name for a particular map.

Comment

Working...
                    X