260w ac charger

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

260w ac charger

does anyone here using an ac charger for thier nuvi 260w? what is the output voltage and the wattage? tia!!

0.2A 5V

I'm using the wall charger of my blackberry. And also tested using motorola wall charger.
    SMS Machine • PictureSMS • SMS Commander • BattLogger • TraceCrash • MemoManager • vCardManager

Suntzu Software for Palm Treo

www.suntzu-software.com

Comment

You can take a look at your car charger specification and you can, more or less, decide on the wall charger specs. What is important here is the output voltage and the output current. Typically our GPS has a mini USB 5-pin connector, which means it should have a standard voltage output of 5 volts (DC). Now the output current (in mA) varies depending on the charging time. For example an output current of 500mA has a slower charging time than an 800mA. I'm using a Nuvi 205 and its car charger spec is 5volts 800mA. Hence I can use a motorola wall charger with specs of 5 volts 500mA. The difference is only charging time. HTH

Comment

Yes, vubando is correct.

The voltage is 5 volts that is why you can also charge it via a PC/Mac's USB port. The current (in amphere) determines how long the battery gets a full charge. The higher the number, the faster the charging time. It may not be wise to use high current chargers (fast chargers) though as it will unnecessarily put stress to your batteries (especially Li-on). If your device gets warm to the touch, it can speak trouble for your batteries.

Thanks.

Comment

If you use a standard USB cable and plug it to a 5V 500mA USB wall charger, does your units enter data transfer mode? Or can you still use the GPS function (like what you'd get when using the car charger)?
          There's no place like 127.0.0.1

Comment

In my case, i use my nephew's motorola cellphone wall charger (5v 500mA), directly connected to my GPS. It will initially enter data transfer mode (screen showing Garmin logo with the green bar and "plugged/connected" icon) and once you switch it on you can use the GPS function, while charging.

Comment

Originally posted by vubando View Post
              You can take a look at your car charger specification and you can, more or less, decide on the wall charger specs. What is important here is the output voltage and the output current. Typically our GPS has a mini USB 5-pin connector, which means it should have a standard voltage output of 5 volts (DC). Now the output current (in mA) varies depending on the charging time. For example an output current of 500mA has a slower charging time than an 800mA. I'm using a Nuvi 205 and its car charger spec is 5volts 800mA. Hence I can use a motorola wall charger with specs of 5 volts 500mA. The difference is only charging time. HTH
              Can't find the specs of the car charger that came with my Nuvi, does anyone have any info on this? I've been wondering if I can use the Nuvi car charger on my BB Bold since it has the same connector.

The charger on my BB Bold is 5V, 500mA.
              The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources. - A.E.

Comment

Originally posted by native_kim View Post
                Can't find the specs of the car charger that came with my Nuvi, does anyone have any info on this? I've been wondering if I can use the Nuvi car charger on my BB Bold since it has the same connector.

The charger on my BB Bold is 5V, 500mA.
                Hi native_kim,

My etrex charger output says it's 5v dc, 1Amp and I'm using this for my Nuvi also.
                See FAQ for Newbies below
                Click Here

Comment

Thanks Roadguide.
                  The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources. - A.E.

Comment

pls be carefull of using non-oem/non-factory chargers . . . this is the 1 cause of battery failure. . . im not saying dont do it BUT just be cautious. . .

Comment

I'm using my iPhone 3GS' USB charger to charge my nuvi 255w. I never had problems with it. The specifications of the Garmin's charger is EXACTLY the same as my iPhone's charger.
                      Last edited by primo1; 10-07-2009, 16:48.

Comment

just wanted to share photos of an AC/DC socket wall adapter that you can use for charging your nuvi. It works great with the nuvi car charger cable.
                        I found this at Games and Gadgets, SM Bicutan..
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by razorspells; 05-24-2010, 08:21.

Comment

Originally posted by primo1 View Post
                          I'm using my iPhone 3GS' USB charger to charge my nuvi 255w. I never had problems with it. The specifications of the Garmin's charger is EXACTLY the same as my iPhone's charger.
                          As a corollary to primo's statement, would it be possible to use my iPod video's AC charger, and connect it to the 255W with a USB to mini-USB cable? Or is that a bad idea?

I've been wanting to charge the Nuvi at home instead of in the car. How else can I do so?

Hope someone can help.

Comment

you can charge your unit via usb cable plugged into a computer/laptop

Comment

elkabong, but aside from plugging it to the computer, could I use a USB cable and charge via my iPod's AC charger? Also, could I use a generic USB to mini-USB cable?

Comment

Working...
                              X