GPS function from the Archos 5 Android

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GPS function from the Archos 5 Android

Hello guys! Newbie here. I recently purchased this product called Archos 5 Internet Table (Android OS) from the States and I learned that it also has some GPS functions, which is powered by NDrive. I checked their maps, but they don't seem to have maps here in the Philippines. So do you think there is a way I can use the GPS function here? And um, by the way, I am not very familiar with GPS, haven't used it before, all I know is that it can give me specific directions or waypoints, something like that. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!

hi generacks8, i have an archos5 too which i recently got, but m still trying to figure out where to get a map that would work with its GPS. let me know when you find out. i'll let you know if i do.

thanks.

Comment

hi..

I was advised that Archos users can buy their gps maps from the site I indicate below but I haven't tried it yet, I'm still in the process of researching for local made maps similar to the maps in garmin since it appears to be updated with the new names of streets and etc. But if I really kind find one that works with Android, then I guess this will be my last resort. Thanks!

http://www.sygic.com/index.php/en/how-to-buy.html

Comment

i just installed ndrive for android earlier today for my nexusone. it has a 7 day free trial for downloaded maps.

used it going to work (eastwood) from my house (near UP diliman) and it was ok. it didnt know the weird u-turn slot mmda made going to eastwood which i expected.

also checked POIs for some places i had a hard time finding recently such as the cityland condo in wackwack and it WAS NOT there. can someone from makati or the south try this? really want offline navigation (GPS only and no 3g or data) for going around makati since i always get lost there hahahah!

this is the only android based GPS navigation software i have found so far that has a free trial.

manila map is 45 euro... approximately $55 usd. a bit steep but if it works why not.

anyone try sygic yet?
        Last edited by antikryst; 06-01-2010, 16:01.

Comment

Originally posted by antikryst View Post
          i just installed ndrive for android earlier today for my nexusone. it has a 7 day free trial for downloaded maps.

used it going to work (eastwood) from my house (near UP diliman) and it was ok. it didnt know the weird u-turn slot mmda made going to eastwood which i expected.

also checked POIs for some places i had a hard time finding recently such as the cityland condo in wackwack and it WAS NOT there. can someone from makati or the south try this? really want offline navigation (GPS only and no 3g or data) for going around makati since i always get lost there hahahah!

this is the only android based GPS navigation software i have found so far that has a free trial.

manila map is 45 euro... approximately $55 usd. a bit steep but if it works why not.

anyone try sygic yet?
          $55 dollar for a map is expensive. i'd rather buy a dedicated GPSr like nuvi which almost always comes with a free foreign map, then install it with the map here for free.
          i have a friend who bought a 205w in the US sale for only $85 and it comes with a leather case.
          Empty your mind, be formless. Shapeless, like water. If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle and it becomes the bottle. You put it in a teapot it becomes the teapot. Now, water can flow or it can crash. Be water my friend.
          - Bruce Lee

http://www.youtube.com/v/7m-SEdOKrE4...yer_detailpage

Comment

Originally posted by hbt View Post
            $55 dollar for a map is expensive. i'd rather buy a dedicated GPSr like nuvi which almost always comes with a free foreign map, then install it with the map here for free.
            i have a friend who bought a 205w in the US sale for only $85 and it comes with a leather case.
            $55 is still cheaper than $80. plus i love my phone and would rather have an all in one device.

hopefully garmin software for android comes out soon so i can just get that and use the better maps we have here.

Comment

Originally posted by antikryst View Post
              $55 is still cheaper than $80. plus i love my phone and would rather have an all in one device.

hopefully garmin software for android comes out soon so i can just get that and use the better maps we have here.
              yes its more expensive than that but there are some reviews that you should read first. theres a topic regarding this somewhere but you can start here: http://roadguide.ph/forums/showthread.php?t=2226

i actually like an all-in-one gadget but garmin recently discontinue xt because of the nuviphone, so i guess they wont be doing something with the android. but i hope i'll be wrong here..

btw... if i may ask, do you have to pay additional when you are navigating?

thanks and good day to you sir
              Empty your mind, be formless. Shapeless, like water. If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle and it becomes the bottle. You put it in a teapot it becomes the teapot. Now, water can flow or it can crash. Be water my friend.
              - Bruce Lee

http://www.youtube.com/v/7m-SEdOKrE4...yer_detailpage

Comment

Originally posted by hbt View Post
                yes its more expensive than that but there are some reviews that you should read first. theres a topic regarding this somewhere but you can start here: http://roadguide.ph/forums/showthread.php?t=2226

i actually like an all-in-one gadget but garmin recently discontinue xt because of the nuviphone, so i guess they wont be doing something with the android. but i hope i'll be wrong here..

btw... if i may ask, do you have to pay additional when you are navigating?

thanks and good day to you sir
                nothing extra with sygic and ndrive as they do not need a data connection (3g/internet)... just GPS. this is why $55 usd doesnt seem too bad though garmin xt should be better since we can get better maps for it.

still hoping that they release just an android app since the garminphone will have one so its already done.

Comment

another option would be andnav. www.andnav.org.... though they dont have ph maps yet. dont know if you can convert the garmin maps here to their format.

andnav is an opensource (and free) gps navigation system for android.

Comment

ok ndrive officially sucks for manila. it gives bad directions... and i mean really bad.

just did more research... andnav does NOT have navigation yet for all locations even if you have the map tile pack.

our only hope is for garmin to release an android app.

havnt tried sygic yet. no demo so didnt try it.

Comment

got my archos 5..
                      any updates regarding an offline gps map for it?

Comment

I was told, Archos users can buy their GPS map display, from the following site I, but I have not tried it, I'm still in the research process to make similar local maps, maps in the Garmin, as it seems Is updated to the new street names, etc.

Comment

Working...
                        X