Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Etrex Vista Hcx: Bad Memory? Bad unit?

Hi,

After not using my etrex for a few weeks, as soon as I turned it on, I found that the map wasn't loaded. All other stuff (ie tracks, waypoints, routes, etc.) were being displayed but no streets at all!

After a few tries of shutting the GPS off and turning it back on, still no luck. I decided to remove the memory card (microSD) and cleaned the pins/slits and after doing that and turning on the GPS, all the streets came back.

Question is, is this something that should be regularly expected? I think this has happened to me twice already within a span of 2 months. Is it time to change to a different memory card? Or is it a problem with the unit?

My Etrex Vista HCx is only around 3 months old.

Hi kos,

I've been using my etrex vista hcx for almost 3 years already & once in a while, i also encounter the same problem and to resolve it, i also do just like what you are doing (cleaning the pins).

Actually, that's my biggest gripe about the etrex vista, unlike newer handheld models such as the oregon series which saves the maps into the internal memory.

HTH
    Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—
    I took the one less traveled by,
    And that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

Comment

Originally posted by tanabe View Post
      Hi kos,

I've been using my etrex vista hcx for almost 3 years already & once in a while, i also encounter the same problem and to resolve it, i also do just like what you are doing (cleaning the pins).
      Thanks for that tanabe, that makes me feel a lot better. At least now I know it's not something specific to my unit. I had initially thought I should change the microSD (since I just use a generic one).

Big help!

Comment

Must have something to do with moisture and corrosion that's messing up the terminals.

Comment

Working...
        X