Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help... Kenwood DNX7140 files erased

Hi,

I own a DNX7140 Navigation Head Unit. I accidentally deleted all the files in the hard drive while I was trying to load the Philippine map in the unit. Now, I cannot acces the navigation function. Now, I'm looking for anyone who has the same unit and copy all the files in their Garmin Folder. Hopefully it will bring back my Nav Functions.

Sending it back to Kenwood USA is my last option as shipping cost alone would be expensive. I also sent them an email requesting for a CD of their firmware but havn't gotten a reply yet. Shipping a CD of their firmware would be less expensive.

Here is what I did for your info. I attached my laptop using a mini usb cable to the back of the unit. While I was trying to transfer files from my Nuvi Garmin Unit, I mistakenly deleted all the files in the hard drive of the DNX7140 unit (Garmin Folder). Now, when I push the NAV button, the screen just shows a screen with garbled letters and image not shown. When I'm in tuner mode or any other mode for that matter, the green navigation area at the bottom of the screen (where it usually says ready to navigate/ driving north, etc...) is now aslo garbled.

I really messed up this time!

Hope someone can help me... Thanks!
    Last edited by chocoboy77; 12-14-2010, 12:53.

try to get in touch with garmin taiwan via email
    Empty your mind, be formless. Shapeless, like water. If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle and it becomes the bottle. You put it in a teapot it becomes the teapot. Now, water can flow or it can crash. Be water my friend.
    - Bruce Lee

http://www.youtube.com/v/7m-SEdOKrE4...yer_detailpage

Comment

Try updating the firmware as it might replace the missing files. http://www8.garmin.com/products/kenwood/
      There's no place like 127.0.0.1

Comment

HBT:
        thanks for the suggestion, i'll try that.

oj88:
        tried that already. the unit doesnt recognize the update anymore.
        Though I was able to update the firmware before I screwed up.

Comment

HBT: Would it make a difference if I emailed Garmin Singapore instead and not Garmin Taiwan? I tried browsing Garmin Taiwan's website but the page is in chinese language. I'm not sure if they'd entertain my questions even if I was able to contact them.

Comment

@chocoboy

OT, may I know where you got the kenwood 7140? How much? Is it the same as the 7160? Thanks sir!

Comment

hi chocoboy,
              They will still refer you to taiwan
              Empty your mind, be formless. Shapeless, like water. If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle and it becomes the bottle. You put it in a teapot it becomes the teapot. Now, water can flow or it can crash. Be water my friend.
              - Bruce Lee

http://www.youtube.com/v/7m-SEdOKrE4...yer_detailpage

Comment

Originally posted by spidermonk3y View Post
                @chocoboy

OT, may I know where you got the kenwood 7140? How much? Is it the same as the 7160? Thanks sir!
                in the states. roughly 50k all in including all accessories like backup cam, steering wheel controls, etc...

7160 is the later version. it replaced the 7140. im not sure whats the diff. you can check at www.kenwoodusa.com

Comment

Originally posted by hbt View Post
                  hi chocoboy,
                  They will still refer you to taiwan
                  thanks hbt!

Comment

Oh, you should also try to contact Kenwood as well, after all it's their product.
                    HTH

Comment

Originally posted by arvin555 View Post
                      Oh, you should also try to contact Kenwood as well, after all it's their product.
                      HTH
                      already did... they want me to ship back the unit to the US for servicing.

Comment

Hi,
                        to anyone who has a Kenwood DNX 7140/ 7160 unit or knows someone who has one, I wish to copy the files installed in the hard drive. Please contact me at 0922-8236788 and I will surely compensate you for your trouble. Thanks!
                        Last edited by chocoboy77; 02-04-2011, 14:16.

Comment

Working...
                        X