Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is there any Gps work in Phil. other than garmin

Hi,

It is only my curiosity if there is any Gps works in Philippines beside Garmin… Can you please give a list… later I saw lots of gps good gps and powerful they even release with dvd player mp4 player etc. :sly:

any gps receiver will work in the philippines or any country for that matter.
    it is just a matter of map compatibility. RG map is presently compatible with garmin products.

Comment

Yup as what Sir Doki said, it is a common misconception that a GPS unit needs to be bought from a specific location or that a GPS receiver is set for specific locations to work. That is not True. You can buy a GPS receiver unit anywhere in the world and it should work as long as it gets a lock from the GPS satellites.

So to answer your question... all GPS receivers should work in our country. At the least it will tell you where you are. "You are here" kind of thing, it will tell you, your coordinates at that time.

However for navigation purpose the above does not really help a lot, unless you use it in conjunction with a paper map, or, better yet a digital map with the unit.
      Nowadays most GPS have built in Base maps, but those do not have roads and Points of interest, or not much at least.

What we really want is a GPS unit with a map that has the streets and Points of interest, and maybe tell us how to get to a place (routable) that you set.

Though there are many GPS units being sold now here in the Philippines, they vary in terms of the details and capabilities of the map that they come with or that you can buy for them. Examples:

1. China made generic GPS (have no idea about their maps)
      2. Papago GPS (with maps that is quite okay being it's based on RG map)
      3. CDRking GPS (similar to no. 2, licensed by Papago)
      4. AVT (developed their own map with a local map maker)
      5. etc. etc.
      6. Forgot Garmin

If you want the most accurate Philippine Map to date, then you have to go with Roadguide's contributor's map and in order for you to use it, you'd have to go with a Garmin model that is compatible with the RG map. Hehehe, see what I did there. Instead of us saying that our map is compatible with Garmin, I'm saying Garmin is Compatible with our map

Long story short, as of now, the only free routable maps available for the Philippines are those that Garmin is compatible with.

TTFN
      Arvin

Comment

Originally posted by arvin555 View Post
        Yup as what Sir Doki said, it is a common misconception that a GPS unit needs to be bought from a specific location or that a GPS receiver is set for specific locations to work. That is not True. You can buy a GPS receiver unit anywhere in the world and it should work as long as it gets a lock from the GPS satellites.

So to answer your question... all GPS receivers should work in our country. At the least it will tell you where you are. "You are here" kind of thing, it will tell you, your coordinates at that time.

However for navigation purpose the above does not really help a lot, unless you use it in conjunction with a paper map, or, better yet a digital map with the unit.
        Nowadays most GPS have built in Base maps, but those do not have roads and Points of interest, or not much at least.

What we really want is a GPS unit with a map that has the streets and Points of interest, and maybe tell us how to get to a place (routable) that you set.

Though there are many GPS units being sold now here in the Philippines, they vary in terms of the details and capabilities of the map that they come with or that you can buy for them. Examples:

5. etc. etc.
        6. Forgot Garmin

If you want the most accurate Philippine Map to date, then you have to go with Roadguide's contributor's map and in order for you to use it, you'd have to go with a Garmin model that is compatible with the RG map. Hehehe, see what I did there. Instead of us saying that our map is compatible with Garmin, I'm saying Garmin is Compatible with our map

Long story short, as of now, the only free routable maps available for the Philippines are those that Garmin is compatible with.

TTFN
        Arvin

wow lot's of info... Thank's for the advice it is only my curiousity some of it's saying that the map for the contributor's cannot read other garmin's series like 3700 series...

Comment

sir arvin, thanks for those infos... but if you don't mind, is there any philippine map available that is compatible on a NavMate system? hopefully from one on the above list. thanks alot.

Comment

Originally posted by psalm View Post
            sir arvin, thanks for those infos... but if you don't mind, is there any philippine map available that is compatible on a NavMate system? hopefully from one on the above list. thanks alot.
            afaik, none.
            FAQ for Newbies? Read here.

Comment

thanks sir... hopefully we gonna have it sometime...

Comment

Sorry I am not a GPS guru, not even familiar with Navimate. But as Sir Reiji replied, Unfortunately no known compatibility.

Comment

This is a misconception that needs to be bought a GPS unit or a specific location of a GPS receiver set to a specific place of work. Not so. You can buy a GPS receiver anywhere in the world, it should work as long as it gets a lock from the GPS satellites.

Comment

thats why i bought this module because i know it will work anywhere. i just took the chance that i could get a philippine map that will be compatible with this unit. hopefully i should with the techs and possibilities we have now.

Comment

Not quite. There's also the OpenStreetMap project which has a free and routable map of the Philippines available for Garmin and a lot of other platforms. There are also various Google Maps mobile apps that are also free and routable.

Comment

GPS receiver vs GPS navigation device

5. etc. etc.
                        6. Forgot Garmin

TTFN
                        Arvin

GPS receivers will only show you your current position, location, speed of travel(check the NMEA logs), and track (including a background raster/aerial image, for some). It doesn't show you road maps, adjacent points and locations of interest, traffic restrictions, buildings, building address, rivers, and so on all in digital/electronic format. These latter features are serviced by GPS navigation devices by use of GIS and GPS softwares. A GPS navigation device is composed of a built in GPS receiver, and more.

Comment

Seav,

Yeah you are right, that there are other free maps out there. Thanks for the clarification. However I was replying with GPSR units in mind, not PDAs and stuff. Of course Openstreetmaps was also in my mind, that is why I said "only free routable maps for Philippines are those that are Garmin compatible" so I had to name names they were RG and Openstreetmaps.

That said, i did not know that google maps were routable. Other than that I also realized that Ovimaps are free for download in Nokia units, and they are routable too, my brother who has the same phone as me demonstrated it to me. The only quirk is that ovimaps do not show the waypoints in the map, even if that particular waypoint or POI is searchable.

TTFN
                          Arvin

Comment

Is the RG map compatible with other brands? Are updates free with other brands? Because if the updates are free, they might as well make their devices compatible with the RG map, saves them the cost of doing the updating themselves.

Comment

As of now, RG maps available free and or to contributors are only compatible with Garmin and Navitel.

TTFN
                              Arvin

Comment

Working...
                              X