Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help: Car Headunit with GPS - Garmin XT

Hi mga sir/ma'am,

Im just new here in RoadGuide Philippines and I wanted to contribute since me and my wife always travel when on vacation.

My Radio Headunit was bought just last week and im still in the process of understanding how GPS works and how it is updated and such.

How did I know that my unit is using Garmin XT? - When I activate or run the GPS option of the radio, I see a "Garmin" logo on the center of the screen then a "Mobile XT" on the lowest part of the screen. So im assuming its a Garmin Mobile XT version.

I tried my best on reading thru most of the instructional threads here and also googled some other websites, unfortunately, my radio is not that 'known' to the public.. almost forgot.. the Radio's made by "Lightning Lab" i think its those 'China made' radios...

I also see that it uses a program saved in the 2GB SD Card included as 'Garmin.exe'

I do appreciate if anybody could assist me on my questions below.. and I'm sure ill do have more questions after this.. my apologies in advance... and thank you for your patience..

1. Do I need to update or change the 'Garmin.exe' everytime I want to update the map?

2. I have read here in the forums that there are specific files that I need to change/update when I want to change or update the map that I have. What are those files?

3. I also read that in order to contribute, i need to upload some specific files from my GPS / SDCard.. but I have scanned my GPS options... I think I didn't see any option to 'record waypoint'... else... di ko lang siguro nakita.. sorry...

4. If i can record waypoints and such, do I need first to download the roadguide ph non-contributor map? or can I use my current map that is installed? (im not sure if where that map came from din..)

I still have too much questions but I believe this is the most important for me as of now so I know what primarily needs to know.

If there are anyone here in my area that can do meetups to check what I have... Id do appreciate it very much.. meryenda is on me

Thanks!
    Last edited by olidotcom; 01-26-2011, 05:49.

I was trying to find the thread on how to load the map on SD or mobile XT and found a not so through step by step which was started by myself!
    http://roadguide.ph/forums/showthrea...highlight=i780

However the above skips some steps as it assumes you already have mapsource so go here first for Training center and Mapsource: I suggest using version 6.15.7 mapsource!

http://roadguide.ph/forums/showpost....88&postcount=1

Then Go here to download the Freemap:
    http://roadguide.ph/forums/showpost....07&postcount=1

Then after you install the freemap in your computer, you open mapsource and do the map install:
    http://roadguide.ph/forums/showpost.php?p=3&postcount=1

In your case as you are going to install onto an SD card Please note:

1. Insert SD card into your computer (through a USB reader)
    2. in Mapsource, make sure in mapsource upper left hand side of mapsource the map 1.07 is chosen.
    3. Using Mapselect tool or ctrl M highlight all the map tiles in the map and then click upload.
    4. you then select the SD card to install.

That should already have the map on your SD card and just install it on your unit.

For your other questions:
    I have not yet heard that updating the map makes it necessary to reinstall garmin.exe on the unit!

I am almost sure that you can or should be able to save a waypoint, you could try just viewing the map and touching the Car Icon on the map, that should give you an option to save. Alternatively look for a where am I opinion in the menu.

You probably have to figure out how to save or transfer the waypoints you saved onto your SD card so that you can download them into your computer for contributions.

You can use the 1.07 map while you are not a contributor, so that you can collect waypoints for contributions, but you will also need to download and install the latest demo map (as of now it is 1.21 version) and install in mapsource as well. THen you double check your waypoints vs. the Demo map before you upload.

Try to get your GPS unit working with the map first then just read the FAQ for contributions.

TTFN
    Arvin

Comment

sir in addition to arvin555 instructions first dont forget to backup your sd card f incase sumting might go wrong

Comment

No need to update garmin.exe. You just have to load map to sd card everytime theres an update.
        You also would need to check our latest demo map to compare your contribution before uploading to forum.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        FAQ for Newbies? Read here.

Comment

sir in addition to arvin555 instructions first dont forget to backup your sd card f incase sumting might go wrong
          So true, yeah that is the first thing you have to do Thanks Leimaj

By the way now that I reread your post, it looks like your Garmin XT might be installed in the SD card itself and not internally on your unit. That is not a problem, just that the more that you should back up the whole content of the SD card by just copying it onto a hard drive or a thumbdrive or another SD card!

TTFN
          Arvin

Comment

thank you sirs for your updates. to make sure ill first buy an extra SD card as backup just incase then copy everything then test the new copied SD card. if all goes well, then I can start experimenting the instructions given above.

Appreciate it!

additional: discovered just this evening how to record a location. but not sure if it also will be added as a waypoint. as needed here to contribute.. still in the process of experimenting how it works.

Comment

What head unit is this?

Comment

Originally posted by Hardright View Post
                What head unit is this?
                I think its from tsikot.com brand http://tsikot.yehey.com/forums/showt...83#post1658083 i also want to buy one but im still waiting for others feedback f its a good hu
                Last edited by leimajmaodon; 01-27-2011, 13:02.

Comment

Working...
                X