GPS hardware and Software for Ipod touch/ Iphone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GPS hardware and Software for Ipod touch/ Iphone

Is there such a thing? I love Garmin xt on my htc tytn II but sold it just now.
    Now I dont have a gps unit to play with.

I do have and Ipod touch, is there any hardware or software for my unit? I love Garmin and hope someone can have this developed.

The iPhone 3G has a built-in GPS receiver, but the problem is the navigation application (or the lack of it).

The iPhone I got came with Google Maps. Good details for the UK, but practically useless when driving. No real-time turn-by-turn directions.

I've read somewhere that because of Apple's licensing requirements, it has effectively closed its doors on real-time navigation applications.

Comment

There are lots of GPS related iTunes apps for the iPhone 3G. In fact, if you have a jailbroken one, there's now a navigation software that has turn by turn voice directions with maps stored locally (no need for data downloads while navigating).

Comment

Originally posted by amf View Post
        There are lots of GPS related iTunes apps for the iPhone 3G. In fact, if you have a jailbroken one, there's now a navigation software that has turn by turn voice directions with maps stored locally (no need for data downloads while navigating).
        What's the name of the app, if you don't mind?

Is there a chance that Apple will know if you jailbreak the phone, something like a modified XBox 360 on XBox Live?

Cheers.

Comment

Originally posted by StraightSix View Post
          What's the name of the app, if you don't mind?

Is there a chance that Apple will know if you jailbreak the phone, something like a modified XBox 360 on XBox Live?

Cheers.
          There are literally hundreds or may be thousands of GPS-related apps in iTunes. Open up itunes and select iTunes Store. I use motion-x, trails, everytrail, track n' trail, atoll co-pilot to name a few.

They will know a jailbroken one if you bring the unit to them for warranty/repair purposes but there are ways to return it to its factory state-- but I won't tell how to.

Comment

There are literally hundreds or may be thousands of GPS-related apps in iTunes. Open up itunes and select iTunes Store. I use motion-x, trails, everytrail, track n' trail, atoll co-pilot to name a few.

They will know a jailbroken one if you bring the unit to them for warranty/repair purposes but there are ways to return it to its factory state-- but I won't tell how to.
            Sorry for the confusion ... I agree that there's a lot of GPS-related applications on iTunes, but what I meant was a real-time, voice-guided navigation application.

So in connection with Jailbreaking, it seems that that particular application (with turn-by-turn voice directions) has not met Apple's legal requirements, so I'm still inclined to believe what the article said.

It would be nice to have a proper one though.

Comment

There is G-Map with US maps only.

Comment

There is G-Map with US maps only.
                I thought I missed it when I watched the demo video from the G-Map site. But when I watched it again, sure enough there was no real-time guidance.

Anyway, here's from G-Map itself from its FAQ page:
                2. Does G-Map support real time Guidance? Such as Turn-by-Turn arrow and Voice prompt?

On next updating (March 2009), we are going to provide alarm effect instead of voice prompt on the G-map.

Currently, our application doesn't support turn by turn guidance including voice prompt.

This is based on APPLE's strict strategy which prohibits any real time guidance. Once there's any positive change in APPLE strategy, we'll support this function.

Once there's any positive change in APPLE strategy, we'll apply this function technically with no fail as well as free updates for this.

Comment

StraightSix: have you tried the g-map app???

I thought I missed it when I watched the demo video from the G-Map site. But when I watched it again, sure enough there was no real-time guidance.
                  That is because the developer withdrew the app from iTunes. I have the first released versions for the west and east coast maps and it does have real-time navigation and guidance (no voice guidance though, direction arrows only) that is why the app is just a shy away from a 1gig download.

Take a look at this and see for your self. http://www.xroadgps.com/Maps/GMapfor...3/Default.aspx

Incidentally, the beta version of iPhone OS 3.0 now officially supports map/turn by turn navigation.

Comment

StraightSix: you may be mixing up navigation and guidance. G-map is a real-time navigation application. It also has real-time guidance-- you are guided by arrows. The arrows indicate where you need to turn. It does not have voice-guidance or voice prompts though.

Are we clear on this? Do you have the application in your iphone? If you do and it does not navigate and guide in real-time (via arrows) then you should get a refund.

Comment

Medyo magulo na nga. I was hoping we wouldn't have to be anal, but I did specify real-time, voice-guided navigation application in post #6. The answer I got was G-Map.

When I used the phrase real-time guidance I was just referring to the quoted text from the G-Map site, it's as simple as that ... the makers of G-Map claimed that their application doesn't support real-time guidance, which you apparently don't agree with because of the turn arrow feature. Of course, it was also stated in the site that it doesn't have voice prompts.

I don't see myself trying G-Map until it has real-time turn-by-turn, voice-guided directions ... so no, I don't have it on the phone. The G-Map website gave me enough information to make that decision. But the beta release (thanks for the info TJ) of the Iphone's OS is welcome news.

I hope we're finally clear on what I've been driving at.
                      (and don't you agree that's nicer? ).

Comment

no prob!

Comment

Thanks ...
                          Kampai!

Comment

For the ipod touch ot iphone to function as a gps navgator device you need to purchase a a gps module and a xgps software here is the link of the demo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7KPPZ...eature=related
                            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S6Brt...eature=related

a blog

http://iphone-gps.blogspot.com/
                            Last edited by JoshII; 10-19-2009, 20:24.

Comment

Working...
                            X