Heavy rain / thick clouds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Heavy rain / thick clouds

Do you get a satellite lock-on during heavy rains? It rained a lot tonight and I was trying to use my Garmin Mobile XT but failed. I was getting almost none to a single signal bar in an open area, no tall buildings, etc.

On which part of the windshield is your GPS installed? I know that when you turn on the wipers, it tends to mess up the GPS receiver. Try installing your device at the top-most portion of the windshield, away from the wipers.
    There's no place like 127.0.0.1

Comment

Originally posted by crisvi_wizard View Post
      Do you get a satellite lock-on during heavy rains? It rained a lot tonight and I was trying to use my Garmin Mobile XT but failed. I was getting almost none to a single signal bar in an open area, no tall buildings, etc.
      On what phone are you running the GMXT? Could be, you turned off AGPS? One note though... if you turn on your device in a different location than when it was turned off, it will take a lot longer to get a sat lock. You can however speed that up a bit but setting new location if you know where you are. And if you're really impatient, then turn on AGPS to get a fast lock.
      I am but a figment of your imagination... with a post count of 9999 or greater.

Comment

Originally posted by oj88 View Post
        On which part of the windshield is your GPS installed? I know that when you turn on the wipers, it tends to mess up the GPS receiver. Try installing your device at the top-most portion of the windshield, away from the wipers.
        It was just sitting on my dashboard. And even when the wipers were off, same thing happens. I think it's because of the thick clouds.

Comment

Hi,

usually rain and clouds are not affecting the signal so much, that your unit can locate it's position anymore. But of course most of the cellphones do not have so good receiption compared to the PNA's. My iPhone also looses signal a lot faster than the nuvi.

Do you have a fully tinted windshield? This is the biggest problem cause the tint works like a metall shield.

Comment

Originally posted by AsiaDriver View Post
            Hi,

usually rain and clouds are not affecting the signal so much, that your unit can locate it's position anymore. But of course most of the cellphones do not have so good receiption compared to the PNA's. My iPhone also looses signal a lot faster than the nuvi.

Do you have a fully tinted windshield? This is the biggest problem cause the tint works like a metall shield.
            Metal shield? Good thing my windshield is not tinted at all. Anyway, I was just wondering if others experience it too. I usually don't encounter any problems once I get a satellite lock-on, except when entering long tunnels. But last night, my Garmin Mobile XT was having a hard time getting GPS signals. I only see reasons like it's night time, 'twas raining, thick clouds, etc.

Comment

Metal shield? Good thing my windshield is not tinted at all. Anyway, I was just wondering if others experience it too. I usually don't encounter any problems once I get a satellite lock-on, except when entering long tunnels. But last night, my Garmin Mobile XT was having a hard time getting GPS signals. I only see reasons like it's night time, 'twas raining, thick clouds, etc.

Water drops on your windshield can cause reception problems. It's the same principle with tree foliage degrading the signal strength.

Comment

Originally posted by Tofu View Post
                On what phone are you running the GMXT? Could be, you turned off AGPS? One note though... if you turn on your device in a different location than when it was turned off, it will take a lot longer to get a sat lock. You can however speed that up a bit but setting new location if you know where you are. And if you're really impatient, then turn on AGPS to get a fast lock.
                I'm using Samsung Omnia II and AGPS is always on. You're right, it really takes a longer time to get a lock-on in a different location from where I last used it. But do thick clouds really affect GPS reception? especially at night? Thanks!

Comment

I'm using Samsung Omnia II and AGPS is always on. You're right, it really takes a longer time to get a lock-on in a different location from where I last used it. But do thick clouds really affect GPS reception? especially at night? Thanks!
                  Thick clouds could affect the signal but not enough to make your device unusable. And with you AGPS on, you should get a lock even if there are buildings around or under the LRT when you turn on your device.

Comment

Working...
                  X