Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

buying new smartphone w/gps! what do you guys recommend?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

buying new smartphone w/gps! what do you guys recommend?

on the verge of buying a smartphone 2nd wk of sept.

after months of using the gmxt loaded into my old nokia e75 just demoing to friends the novelty factor of having free turn by turn i had my first chance to use it for its first practical application... to explore baguio. so, free roadguide.ph map in hand (err, e75)... i drove to my first waypoint, the rosario junction to kennon.

from there, drove on up to baguio. gps found all the tourist spots. even helped me return to the manor in near total darkness, with fog so thick my headlights barely pierced through 5 meters. comical to have seen me and the wife debating on whether to turn this way or that while lost in the fog... in the end, i had to trust the gps.

so now, i am a total believer in this technology...

now i'd like a touchscreen with more screen real estate (the map does look pitifully small on the e75).

torn between these choices...

1. nokia n900... but is not symbian so wont support gmxt? or does it?
    2. nokia n97... older, slower processor, slower touchscreen, but does support gmxt
    3. htc touch pro2... android, no gmxt

your thoughts and other candidate phones that you can recommend that can use either gmxt or nokia's free ovi maps (not as good as garmin but it'll do) with touchscreens 3.5 inches (and up...).

thanks.

You may want to consider getting the OmniaII i8000 as its display is 3.7-inch 64K-color WVGA AMOLED touchscreen, 480 x 800 pixels + a large 8 or 16 gb internal memory! Don't own one personally but a friend swears it gets sat lock quite fast and very responsive. Not sure though if you could still get one as brand new.

Comment

if you really want a celphone with gps funcion, try the nuvifone or nuvi phone.
      but nothing beat a dedicated GPSr
      Empty your mind, be formless. Shapeless, like water. If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle and it becomes the bottle. You put it in a teapot it becomes the teapot. Now, water can flow or it can crash. Be water my friend.
      - Bruce Lee

http://www.youtube.com/v/7m-SEdOKrE4...yer_detailpage

Comment

i've got a suggestion - if your e75 still works for you, might as well get a dedicated gpsr which could give you the "screen real estate" you'd like. nüvis go as big as 5", else check out the Nuvifone series.

HTH
        ʇɐʞө uoʇµ!uɓ p∩ʇ ʍɐʎ bo!uʇƨ, ꞁөɐ٨ө uoʇµ!uɓ p∩ʇ pʁөɐq ⅽʁ∩wpƨ, ʞ!ꞁꞁ uoʇµ!uɓ p∩ʇ ʇ!wө.

Comment

i used an e52 and i get a satellite lock faster compared to other phones i've used. it is compatible with garmin xt

Comment

Originally posted by jayteecie View Post
            You may want to consider getting the OmniaII i8000 as its display is 3.7-inch 64K-color WVGA AMOLED touchscreen, 480 x 800 pixels + a large 8 or 16 gb internal memory! Don't own one personally but a friend swears it gets sat lock quite fast and very responsive. Not sure though if you could still get one as brand new.
            Main disadvantage of winmo based xt is that the software hasn't been updated for quite awhile by garmin compared to symbian. Therefore, symbian xt has more features and less bugs, imho... but to date garmin, it's been said, has stopped updating ALL xt...

I'd have to agree with B2Bomber that you'd be better off with a nuvi and with your old phone GPS as back-up... unless of course if you're just itching to have an excuse to upgrade your phone... j/k

Comment

Htc hd2

Hi there,

i recommend HTC HD2. Good experience with this Smartphone. Acceptable Display size and very fast in searching gps satellites (1Ghz Snapdragon chipset). HTC HD2

greets,

nono
              "music for the road?" @ free-mp3.ph

Comment

+1

Originally posted by phtraveler View Post
                Hi there,

i recommend HTC HD2. Good experience with this Smartphone. Acceptable Display size and very fast in searching gps satellites (1Ghz Snapdragon chipset). HTC HD2

greets,

nono
                I agree with phtraveler
                I have HTC 3G much smaller screen and slower CPU but still satisfied with the
                performance of my GMXT. I'm sure HD2 is 2-3X better

Comment

I used so many smart phones. Currently I am using e52, it helps to get a satellite lock faster. My own experience is that it works very best and faster compared to other phones also its garmin xt is compatible.

Comment

Originally posted by jessytimothy View Post
                    I used so many smart phones. Currently I am using e52, it helps to get a satellite lock faster. My own experience is that it works very best and faster compared to other phones also its garmin xt is compatible.
                    pls update gps unit in your profile. thanks.
                    FAQ for Newbies? Read here.

Comment

I got me an Android phone (HTC Desire Z) quite recently. Though it lacks support for GMXT, I find the built-in nav software quite alright for casual use. But you'd still want a dedicated nav in your car if your life depends on it... so to speak.
                      There's no place like 127.0.0.1

Comment

Does anyone uses GMXT in Motorola Droid X or in Xperia X10? Are they compatible to GMXT anyway?

Comment

GMXT is not android compatible. i'd recommend the new garmin asus a10, all the functionality of a nuvi and the fun of having an android phone all in one
                          no waypoint left unturned

Comment

Sir how about N8, i tried it going from SM dasma to Naic. it work pretty good. although some street are not yet labeled

Comment

Working...
                            X