Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Garmin XT on Nokia E52

Hi All,

I was able to successfully install Garmin XT, so am now using both the built-in Ovi maps and Garmin.

Here's my question, Garmin Maps compared to Ovi is somewhat outdated, I also learned that I can have it downloaded from this web site however, the files either have compatibility issues with my computer as it keeps on looking for the previous version so the install aborts itself. I also downloaded the training file and still zip. Did I miss something? Please Help. .
    Last edited by ; 01-05-2011, 04:57.

Welcome to RG!

Hmm, at first I was surprised that you said that the Garmin Map is outdated compared to the Ovimaps, then I realize maybe you were referring to the Garmin map that came with XT and not the Roadguide free map.

To learn on the "how tos" please visit:
    http://roadguide.ph/forums/showthread.php?t=1526

Please read through them. I imagine that the Roadguide Standard map 1.07 should be more up to date than Ovimap. But to get the best map, you have to contribute and become a contributor to get the latest contributor's map, its all in the FAQ link above.

TTFN
    Arvin

Comment

Thanks Arvin,

Actually that's my objective, to be a contributor. Again, as I mentioned in my earlier post, I downloaded the 1.07 version and followed the instruction of downloading the other files needed for installing it to my smartphone. But anyway I must have missed something, I'll try doing it again, thanks and cheers!

Jun

Comment

Originally posted by jun1662 View Post
        Thanks Arvin,

Actually that's my objective, to be a contributor. Again, as I mentioned in my earlier post, I downloaded the 1.07 version and followed the instruction of downloading the other files needed for installing it to my smartphone. But anyway I must have missed something, I'll try doing it again, thanks and cheers!

Jun
        pls verify if you have done the following on the correct order:
        1. install training center
        2. install mapsource 6.13.7 or 6.15.7 (take note of the versions, any version above that will have some compatibility issues with roadguide map).
        3. install roadguide mapversion 1.07

4. (optional-if you want to upgrade to contributor) install demo mapversion 1.20 (for reference purposes of contributions)

if you were able to compete those, open mapsource and look for the drop down map selection and choose the mapversion 1.07 to be able to transfer to your device.

however, pls do take note that there were some issues before of failed install due to incomplete download. pls verify if you were able to download the file completely (16,584 kb). or better yet, try to download it again using firefox downthemall.

Comment

Originally posted by doki View Post
          pls verify if you have done the following on the correct order:
          1. install training center
          2. install mapsource 6.13.7 or 6.15.7 (take note of the versions, any version above that will have some compatibility issues with roadguide map).
          3. install roadguide mapversion 1.07

4. (optional-if you want to upgrade to contributor) install demo mapversion 1.20 (for reference purposes of contributions)

if you were able to compete those, open mapsource and look for the drop down map selection and choose the mapversion 1.07 to be able to transfer to your device.

however, pls do take note that there were some issues before of failed install due to incomplete download. pls verify if you were able to download the file completely (16,584 kb). or better yet, try to download it again using firefox downthemall.
          Hi Doki,

Just completed the download of four files total:
          1. TrainingCenter_353 (40,565kb)
          2. MapSource_6137 (46,634kb)
          3. MapSource_6157 (59,052kb)
          4. jklinc_roadguide,ph_1.07_basic_map (16,584kb)

My Computer OS is Windows 7, with 4gb ram, if this will help. .

Will follow instructions in the order you mentioned, Item 2 or item 3 depending on compatibility, then lastly the 1.07 version, let's see how it goes. .

will keep you posted.

Thanks & Cheers

Comment

Success ! !

I followed the instructions and finally I was able to have it up and running in my E52. The 1.07 version map is really more detailed compared to OVI. Thanks Roadguide.ph.

Next: How to contribute.

Jun

Comment

Congratulations on your new XT in your phone

How to contribute? Still in the same how to page:
              http://roadguide.ph/forums/showthread.php?t=1526

Yeah if you do a search this link is probably the most posted link in the RG world

As of now concentrate only on contributing waypoints because unfortunately I don't think XT does tracking and logging.

Contrary to what some might say, contributing waypoints is really easy! There is always an opportunity to update or add somewhere near your area.

Have fun!
              TTFN
              Arvin

Comment

I followed the instructions and finally I was able to have it up and running in my E52. The 1.07 version map is really more detailed compared to OVI. Thanks Roadguide.ph.

Next: How to contribute.

Jun
                if you download v1.20, you'll notice that it is more detailed than v1.07.

you may also submit non 1-sec track for areas not yet covered on the map.

Comment

if you download v1.20, you'll notice that it is more detailed than v1.07.

you may also submit non 1-sec track for areas not yet covered on the map.
                  Yes Doki, I finally got the 1.20 up and running, big difference against the 1.07 version. I'm still familiarizing myself so bear with me, noticed also the difference vs. ovi and yes i agree, garmin seems to be providing more map details. Thanks again sir, I'll be providing updates as soon as I install the required softwares.

Comment

Yes Doki, I finally got the 1.20 up and running, big difference against the 1.07 version. I'm still familiarizing myself so bear with me, noticed also the difference vs. ovi and yes i agree, garmin seems to be providing more map details. Thanks again sir, I'll be providing updates as soon as I install the required softwares.
                    hi sir. latest mapversion as of this post is now v1.21.
                    you can download it here

Comment

hi sir. latest mapversion as of this post is now v1.21.
                      you can download it here
                      Ok got it! Thanks again for the support. .

Comment

Hi Doki

Hi Doki. I'm New here and I got a Nokia 5800 with ovi maps and I travelled a lot around Bicol Region (Region 5). since I got this phone I begun to record the coordinates of places that I've visited...Pls guide me in installing RG maps on my phone so that I can upload to you all the coordinates that I Have recorded. Thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by olzky View Post
                          Hi Doki. I'm New here and I got a Nokia 5800 with ovi maps and I travelled a lot around Bicol Region (Region 5). since I got this phone I begun to record the coordinates of places that I've visited...Pls guide me in installing RG maps on my phone so that I can upload to you all the coordinates that I Have recorded. Thank you.
                          download your free map here. http://www.roadguide.ph/forums/showthread.php?t=2348
                          this map can be uploaded to your phone but is a bit old. you may use this for now until you get the contributor's map.

then pls use this latest map (demo) for reference to check if your waypoints and tracks are already on the updated map. http://www.roadguide.ph/forums/showthread.php?t=17

once you become a contributor, your demo map will be upgraded to contributor's map which you can now upload to your device.

good luck.

Comment

Working...
                          X