Garmin Mobile XT v5.00.30 supports Nokia 5800

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Garmin Mobile XT v5.00.30 supports Nokia 5800

Read some news in the net about the new release of Garmin Mobile XT for Symbian S60 3rd Edition software version 5.00.30 as of February 13, 2009. This release supports the new Nokia 5800 touchscreen.

Changes made from version 5.00.20 to 5.00.30:
    • Provide support for Nokia 5800 (S60 touch screen).
    • Provide a background service that monitors incoming messages which may contain information used by Garmin Mobile XT. A new setting will allow the user to turn this option off (Tools -> Settings -> System -> Launch Background Service).
    • Improve map drawing performance.
    Anybody tried this?

Took the plunge and upgraded to v5.00.30... so far so good. This is the screen cap of the "About" page in my E71...

Will post more feedbacks tomorrow...

Comment

mobile xt v5

i already use this version on htc diamond,nokia 5800,n82, in dubai map and singapore,

Comment

Originally posted by fer_nan_14 View Post
        i already use this version on htc diamond,nokia 5800,n82, in dubai map and singapore,
        care to share your experience using this version? and compared to previous versions?

Comment

i think the difference between the two version is the online support... espicially goggle please corrct me if im wrong...

Comment

Originally posted by Borgie View Post
            Changes made from version 5.00.20 to 5.00.30:
            • Provide support for Nokia 5800 (S60 touch screen).
            • Provide a background service that monitors incoming messages which may contain information used by Garmin Mobile XT. A new setting will allow the user to turn this option off (Tools -> Settings -> System -> Launch Background Service).
            • Improve map drawing performance.
            please see attached file. no experience with this option.
            good map performance on nokia e61, e71 with 5.00.30 is good.
            i could feel the the difference on both devices especially when you want to zoom in/out
            Attached Files
            "music for the road?" @ free-mp3.ph

Comment

Garmin XT v5.00.30 on Nokia 5800 Express Music

Just installed Garmin XT v5.00.30 on my Nokia 5800 Express Music (could'nt resist getting one for the challenge ).
              It works like a charm and has a beautiful touch screen, but not as good as the iPhone though.
              The satelite reception, with the buildt in AGPS did work very well, and I even had a lock/signal when the phone was lying on the mid-consol inside the car,
              but of course the accuracy was then not that good.

The tracks recorded was pretty decent too, and paired with a re-radiating gps bluetooth receiver with an exterior antenna outside the car,
              I belive this could serve as a good device for both navigation and tracking?

Really a shame that garmin XT can't be installed on iPhone, or can it (anyone)?

All the legal software for smart phones, you'll find on the garmin web site (links below).
              Then anyone could try it out for free for 15 days I belive, then you have to pay

Updates & Downloads
              Garmin Mobile XT Navigation for Smartphones

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
              Unit Software
              Garmin Mobile XT for Palm , Ver. 5.00.10p, as of Sep 23, 2008, http://www8.garmin.com/support/agree.jsp?id=4339

Garmin Mobile XT for Palm (for older devices), Ver. 4.10.30p, as of Nov 14, 2007, http://www8.garmin.com/support/agree.jsp?id=1913

Garmin Mobile XT for Symbian S60 2nd Edition, Ver. 4.20.00, as of Jun 13, 2008, http://www8.garmin.com/support/agree.jsp?id=4323

Garmin Mobile XT for Symbian S60 3rd Edition, Ver. 5.00.30, as of Feb 13, 2009, http://www8.garmin.com/support/agree.jsp?id=3939

Garmin Mobile XT for Symbian UIQ3.0, Ver. 5.00.20, as of Nov 26, 2008, http://www8.garmin.com/support/agree.jsp?id=3941

Garmin Mobile XT for Windows Mobile, Ver. 5.00.20w, as of Sep 25, 2008, http://www8.garmin.com/support/agree.jsp?id=3389

Garmin Mobile XT for Windows Mobile (for older devices), Ver. 4.10.40w, as of Oct 12, 2007, http://www8.garmin.com/support/agree.jsp?id=4337

Additional Software
              Garmin Mobile XT Free Basemap, Ver. 4.xx.xx, as of Apr 19, 2007, http://www8.garmin.com/support/downl...ls.jsp?id=3645

Garmin Mobile XT Support Files, Ver. 4.xx.xx, as of Jul 11, 2007, http://www8.garmin.com/support/downl...ls.jsp?id=3493

Last edited by jonatle; 03-12-2009, 12:54.
              Questions? Check Out The: "HOW TO"

Comment

Originally posted by jonatle View Post
                The satelite reception, with the buildt in AGPS did work very well, and I even had a lock/signal when the phone was lying on the mid-consol inside the car,
                but of course the accuracy was then not that good.

The tracks recorded was pretty decent too, and paired with a re-radiating gps bluetooth receiver with an exterior antenna outside the car,
                I belive this could serve as a good device for both navigation and tracking?
                Satellite reception does work very well, even inside the car. However, i noticed that the TTFF is slower compared to v5.00.20. Whereas the v.20 gets a TTFF in about 1.5 mins or less, the v.30 seems to take forever, maybe bet. 2-5 mins stationary with a clear view of the sky. And longer if your inside and your car's running. Anyone experienced this? I'm using an E71. I'll try to pair this with my GPS 10x and see if the TTFF will improve using and external GPS and not the built-in one.

Comment

TTFF GMobile XT

Originally posted by Borgie View Post
                  Satellite reception does work very well, even inside the car. However, i noticed that the TTFF is slower compared to v5.00.20. Whereas the v.20 gets a TTFF in about 1.5 mins or less, the v.30 seems to take forever, maybe bet. 2-5 mins stationary with a clear view of the sky. And longer if your inside and your car's running. Anyone experienced this? I'm using an E71. I'll try to pair this with my GPS 10x and see if the TTFF will improve using and external GPS and not the built-in one.
                  TTFF, time to find the satelites/fix, right? I did try it on a friends N95 with latest firmware as well and although I did'nt clock it, it was considerably slower on the N95 compared to the 5800! So it might have something to do with the hardware/chipset etc. in the phones? Regarding the 5800 there is firmware updates available in other regions as Europe, which is said to improve its overall performance, but unfortunatly not yet readily available for units purchased in RP :-(
                  I might look into modyfying the phones region code to get hold of the upgrade. I've read it could be done with JAF Pkey emulator? Anyone who has expirience?
                  Questions? Check Out The: "HOW TO"

Comment

i've installed 5.00.30 on my nokia 5800. it's excellent. touch screen works fine. however i encountered sudden hangs in the middle of usage of garmin mobile xt. have you guys also encountered this?

Comment

Originally posted by ejay View Post
                      i've installed 5.00.30 on my nokia 5800. it's excellent. touch screen works fine. however i encountered sudden hangs in the middle of usage of garmin mobile xt. have you guys also encountered this?
                      I encountered the same although rare. All-in-all it's fantastic.

Cheers!

Btw, first post!!

Comment

Originally posted by Phips View Post
                        I encountered the same although rare. All-in-all it's fantastic.

Cheers!

Btw, first post!!
                        yeah. all-in-all its very excellent!

Comment

during normal operation I didn't have a problem on my 5800. However when I go to browse the map the program will hang and freeze up.

I did change the region code as mentioned above to obtain the v20 firmware and the ttll is improved over the v10 on nokia maps. I did not try xt on v10 as I had upgraded to v20 b4 I installed xt

Is anyone else able to browse maps on XT on v20 ?

Comment

i have installed it on my 5800 also. i have questions...

1. anong map ang dapat gamitin sa 5800? is the one available here can be used for the 5800?

2. i have the map downloaded from here. kaso when i opened the garmin, eh nakalagay, no map. take note, wala po ako satellite signal at hindi pa ko naka-lock sa mga satellites. pero when i browse for the map detail, meron lumalabas.

hope that someone would answer my questions. i really love to try this one out and kelangan ko kasi eto dahil pinaplano ko pumunta ng tagaytay using gps navigation. salamat po!!

Comment

Originally posted by testament11 View Post
                              i have installed it on my 5800 also. i have questions...

1. anong map ang dapat gamitin sa 5800? is the one available here can be used for the 5800?

2. i have the map downloaded from here. kaso when i opened the garmin, eh nakalagay, no map. take note, wala po ako satellite signal at hindi pa ko naka-lock sa mga satellites. pero when i browse for the map detail, meron lumalabas.

hope that someone would answer my questions. i really love to try this one out and kelangan ko kasi eto dahil pinaplano ko pumunta ng tagaytay using gps navigation. salamat po!!
                              Download the standard map from this forum since you're not yet a contributor, puede yun sa 5800 mo. Read the FAQ's.

Your question about "no map" is a no brainer - as you said, "wala po ako satellite signal at hindi pa ko naka-lock sa mga satellites", therefore no Philippine map shown as evidently, your E71's GPS is still in it's default location, somewhere in Europe or Australia. Establish your GPS location wherever you are to see the map where you are.

HTH

Comment

Working...
                              X