Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Browsing Map on Device while not in Phils.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Browsing Map on Device while not in Phils.

I loaded the standard map via map loader to my 5800xm. Started the app, turned off gps, entered settings, and view map. It displays a black screen and "no map" is listed in bottom corner.

I am in Canada atm, does this have any effect on me being able to browse the map while not in the Philippines ?

I would like to contribute to gain the more detailed map and try that. But, unless you want the locations of the local Pinoy markets I unfortunately will not be able to contribute

Originally posted by Sector7g View Post
    I loaded the standard map via map loader to my 5800xm. Started the app, turned off gps, entered settings, and view map. It displays a black screen and "no map" is listed in bottom corner.

I am in Canada atm, does this have any effect on me being able to browse the map while not in the Philippines ?

I would like to contribute to gain the more detailed map and try that. But, unless you want the locations of the local Pinoy markets I unfortunately will not be able to contribute
    Hi. Even if you're in Canada you can still browse the Philippine map and even do route simulations. But you won't able to automatically view the map unless the built-in aGPS gets a fix of your current location. The default location of your XT might be in Europe or Australia that's why a blank screen is shown. However, you can manually change your map location by doing this:

1. In Mapsource, get the coordinates of two locations in the Philippines that you want to go to (say market A and location 1 that's very near market A). Be sure that that coordinate units setting is the same in your 5800.

2. Run XT in your device. In "Where to" go to position and enter the coordinates of market A. Click next, then in options click "Save to my locations". Take note of the location name. You can also click "Map" to check if you are in the right place. If you've installed the map properly, you should be able to see market A (if it's in the map already). Do the same for location 1. These two waypoints will be saved in "My Locations".

3. Click on the sat. signal bars (upper left corner of your screen on the above the "Where to" icon). Click again to see the "acquiring satellites " page. This is where you see the number of satellites that are accessed by the GPS. Click on "New Location" then zoom out and pan the map till you see the Philippine map. Pan and zoom in to locate Market A. Once you find Market A, click "Ok" and your location is transferred.

4. To check if your location has transferred to market A, go to "Tools" then "Browse map".

5. Another way to transfer your location is to go to "Tools"/"Manage my Data"/"Routes"/ then "Create New Saved Route"/"From Find Menu"/"My Locations". Select market A for the first point and location 1 for the second/end point of the route. Click "none" for intermediate points. Click "faster time" for route calculation preference. Your route will then be calculated. After it's been calculated, click "Go". Your location will now be transferred to market A and you can do a route simulation from market A to location 1. Click "Where to"/"Points of interest" then do a search. If it searches POI's near market A then you've transferred your location successfully.

Give it a try...

Comment

thank for your in depth reply, I will give it a try.

I have another question though, perhaps you or some else knows the answer.

I had previously loaded the province map for Alberta, tested the program and was able to see my location on the map fine.

Then went to try the Philippine map, when the gps acquired a lock, as I mentioned above, the map was blank.

When looking in the /garmin folder on my memory card I can only see 1 file for maps, an iso file, indicating to me, that garmin xt only holds 1 map file in memory?

Do I need to select both the Philippine map and the Canadian map from map loader together or load them separately somehow?

Comment

Originally posted by Sector7g View Post
        thank for your in depth reply, I will give it a try.

I have another question though, perhaps you or some else knows the answer.

I had previously loaded the province map for Alberta, tested the program and was able to see my location on the map fine.

Then went to try the Philippine map, when the gps acquired a lock, as I mentioned above, the map was blank.

When looking in the /garmin folder on my memory card I can only see 1 file for maps, an iso file, indicating to me, that garmin xt only holds 1 map file in memory?

Do I need to select both the Philippine map and the Canadian map from map loader together or load them separately somehow?
        Now i see your problem. Reason you were not able to see the Philippines map is that when you loaded the Alberta map, it overwrited the Philippine map. There can only be one gmasupp.img file in your GPS device. Garmin XT can hold a basemap if you install one, then you would have two .img file with different filenames.

You need to select both the Philippines map and the Canadian map in Mapsource before you upload and install the .img file to XT. In XT, if you go to "Tools"/"Manage my Data"/"Mapsets"/"Mapsource", you'll see the mapsets you have uploaded, in this case the Philippines and Canadian maps and you have the option to check/uncheck one or the other or view both.

Comment

I had the same problem before.
          When I was in Toronto I have 2 maps(philippines and north america) on my garmin xt htc tytn II.

I can browse on the location of Toronto but not on the Philippine Map.

of course you are not here right now so that's why its blank.
          but when i get back here and i got a lock on my gps, the philippine map shows.

Do i get your question right?

Comment

Originally posted by alpha-q View Post
            I had the same problem before.
            When I was in Toronto I have 2 maps(philippines and north america) on my garmin xt htc tytn II.

I can browse on the location of Toronto but not on the Philippine Map.

of course you are not here right now so that's why its blank.
            but when i get back here and i got a lock on my gps, the philippine map shows.

Do i get your question right?
            If you have installed the basemap img file together with the gmasupp file, i think if you zoom out and pan the map to Asia then to the Philippines, you can browse the Philippine map... The basemap will sort of bridge the areas between Canada and the Philippines... but please correct me if i'm wrong...

Comment

mobile xt

is it posible to copy mobile xt card to an ordinary sd card and make it work using iphone or nikia gps capable

Comment

Garmin Image map files!

Originally posted by Borgie View Post
                If you have installed the basemap img file together with the gmasupp file, i think if you zoom out and pan the map to Asia then to the Philippines, you can browse the Philippine map... The basemap will sort of bridge the areas between Canada and the Philippines... but please correct me if i'm wrong...
                Three names are available so as to be recognized by Garmin: gmapprom.img, gmapsupp.img or gmapsup2.img. Gmapbmap.img is the world base map. So three different named maps can be used at the same time.

Since the standard roadguide.ph is free I belive you could rename that image file to gmapsup2.img, and since the maps you upload with Mapsource is stored in gmapsupp.img you will not affect the philippine map. The world base map can be downloaded for free from Garmin.

Garmin Mobile XT Free Basemap, Ver. 4.xx.xx, as of Apr 19, 2007, http://www8.garmin.com/support/downl...ls.jsp?id=3645
                Questions? Check Out The: "HOW TO"

Comment

I seem to be having a problem with the program itself. It will crash if I browse the map.

If i use the go to coordinates I can see the map on my phone, but as soon as i try and drag the map in any direction the program locks up.

I can also zoom out to 1800m pan all the way over to the Philippine islands, soon as i get there, and start to load the map the program will crash.

Finally when I am browsing the North American map I am able to do so for a few minutes, but the program will still lock up.

Using the GPS while driving for 2 hours the program did not crash, it would seem the problem comes just in the browse mode.

Comment

Working...
                  X