Nokia 5800 vs. Nuvi 205

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nokia 5800 vs. Nuvi 205

Is the Nokia 5800 with Garmin a good substitute for the Nuvi 205? Does it cost money to use the GPS on Nokia? The screen size is almost similar on the two (3.2" for the Nokia, 3.5" for the Nuvi) but the Nokia has twice the amount of resolution (640X360 vs. 320X240) which would make me believe that the text will be sharper and easier to read. However from reading this forum, I heard some people having problems using the Garmin on the 5800 because it freezes a lot.

Originally posted by snorkle View Post
    Is the Nokia 5800 with Garmin a good substitute for the Nuvi 205? Does it cost money to use the GPS on Nokia? The screen size is almost similar on the two (3.2" for the Nokia, 3.5" for the Nuvi) but the Nokia has twice the amount of resolution (640X360 vs. 320X240) which would make me believe that the text will be sharper and easier to read. However from reading this forum, I heard some people having problems using the Garmin on the 5800 because it freezes a lot.
    I don't think a 5800 would do better than a Nuvi in terms of navigation. Remember, 5800 is designed for communication and a Nuvi for navigation. The resolution wouldn't be much of a factor but the screen size does. If you have some spare cash to burn, buy a wide screen Nuvi. Not to mention the accuracy advantage of a Nuvi.

No, it won't cost you additional money using GPS on your phone (except for buying XT).

Comment

Hi,

wait for this if you want both in one.
      http://www.roadguide.ph/forums/showp...42&postcount=1

of if you want to buy nĂ¼vis better the widescreen one. i prefer with built in bluetooth and fm transmitter.

greets,

nono
      "music for the road?" @ free-mp3.ph

Comment

How is the response time on the 5800 Garmin compared to the Nuvi 205? Are there an lags?

Realistically, is the 5800 Garmin usable?

Comment

How is the response time on the 5800 Garmin compared to the Nuvi 205? Are there an lags?

if you can wait few minutes (A-GPS chipset) before you can navigate then why not. for me no go.
          "music for the road?" @ free-mp3.ph

Comment

The Nuvi is a dedicated GPS device so it acquires satellites faster than the 5800. But the diff. is not that much, only a few minutes. Browse the threads, you won't be reading any complaints from XT users and it has served just as well as the Nuvi in navigation.

Comment

After doing some research, I think a dedicated GPS will be a thing of the past much like the MP4 players. Cellphones have already successfully integrated mp3 players and mp4 videoplayers. The new generation of phones have already integrated gps. Garmin phones will be hitting our shores this year. Nokia is also rumored to release a GPS phone lineup.

I was planning to get a Nuvi 205W because of the 4.3" screen. The alternative was to get a Nokia 5800 with Garmin XT software. Even though the Nokia/Garmin option is twice the price, there is one big advantage it'll have over a dedicated GPS - I'll have it with me all the time.

When I get lost, it's always unplanned. I take a wrong turn and then ooops, I'm lost. What are the chances I'll have the Nuvi with me? I couldn't leave the Nuvi inside the car at all times because the battery life is short and it drains over time.

It sounds like a good theory, but I really don't know how the 5800/Garmin performs in real life. It's a costly gamble if it turns out not half as good as I thought it would be. How accurate would the dedicated gps be? I thought it's just the same since they both link up to the same signal and use the same map?
              Last edited by snorkle; 06-07-2009, 23:39.

Comment

How accurate would the dedicated gps be? I thought it's just the same since they both link up to the same signal and use the same map?
                For the 60CSx, the best i can get is about 2.7 mtrs and on the average, between 3 to 4 mtrs. It's the GPS chip in the dedicated GPS units and the way you position it when you use it (must have clear view of the sky always if possible) that determines how accurate it will be. All newer dedicated GPS units like the handhelds, Nuvi's & etc. have very good satellite receptions and accuracy. Imo, as of now, cellphones/pda's with built-in GPS still cannot compare with dedicated GPS units esp. when tracking. But for gathering waypoints, puede na...

Comment

After doing some research, I think a dedicated GPS will be a thing of the past much like the MP4 players. Cellphones have already successfully integrated mp3 players and mp4 videoplayers. The new generation of phones have already integrated gps. Garmin phones will be hitting our shores this year. Nokia is also rumored to release a GPS phone lineup.

I was planning to get a Nuvi 205W because of the 4.3" screen. The alternative was to get a Nokia 5800 with Garmin XT software. Even though the Nokia/Garmin option is twice the price, there is one big advantage it'll have over a dedicated GPS - I'll have it with me all the time.

When I get lost, it's always unplanned. I take a wrong turn and then ooops, I'm lost. What are the chances I'll have the Nuvi with me? I couldn't leave the Nuvi inside the car at all times because the battery life is short and it drains over time.

It sounds like a good theory, but I really don't know how the 5800/Garmin performs in real life. It's a costly gamble if it turns out not half as good as I thought it would be. How accurate would the dedicated gps be? I thought it's just the same since they both link up to the same signal and use the same map?
                  Why not have both? Have a Nuvi attached semi-permanently on your car and a mobile phone-GPS with you all the time?

The current generation of mobile phones just won't cut it for daily navigation use. It's more of a "better than no GPS" sort of deal... a backup GPS, if you will. Use it as your main GPS and you'll soon run into nuances like I did.

If the phone rings or if you received a text message that requires a reply, imagine the kind of ordeal you'll be as you fumble for the phone on the windshield or dashboard, while still attached on a suitable mount and maybe even a charging cable. Of course you only do this while the vehicle is not moving, but the extra three to five steps gets old pretty quick.
                  There's no place like 127.0.0.1

Comment

I'm a recent gmxt convert. I've used garmin nuvis extensively on unfamiliar roads before and it has never let me down but just recently I have been using (on experimental stage) an e90 on gmxt. I must say, I am surprised how accurate it is. It performs just as well as my old nuvi 250.

Now my take on the topic, for me this is just lake camera phones, there are a lot of good camera phone but the whole 'experience' of using a stand alone camera is just better. Same thing with navigation, the 5800 (or any good gps capable phone) with gmxt will do the job just fine. But the whole experience of in-car navigation is better on nuvis (or any stand alone navigation) only because it's sole function is a navigational tool unlike a phone which is busy with so many things like hunt for cellsite, receives sms, monitors your alarm, your email etc.

This things being said, I believe it depends on how heavy your need for navigation aid is. For everyday need (finding a restaurant to meet a friend, gasoline station, auto repair shop) the 5800 with a gmxt will do; but if you are someone who needs to rely a lot on navigation aids, say, you need to deliver stuffs to different client everyday then the nuvi will be a better fit. Imagine if while using your 5800 in going to a client you received a call, or what if you forgot to charge your 5800 and a car charger is nowhere in sight, how can you go to your client's address? my 2 cents...

...incidentally, on mention of resolution; comparing the nuvi 250W to the e90. The display and text looks crisp and is somewhat better on the e90, so the higher resolution seems to work.

Comment

Yes it is!
                      I just bought my Nokia 5800 on Sunday (6/28/2009)
                      Installed GMXT for Symbian S60 5.00.0 on Tuesday (6/30/2009)
                      [do not ask me why i installed 5.00.0 because I wont tell]
                      Does not work since it doesnt support Symbian S60v5.
                      Downloaded and installed GMXT 5.00.3 today (7/1/2009 3:00p.m.)
                      It works! Test drove it on my L200 Strada '98 and it what surprised me was that, the indicated speed readings on GMXT was almost the same as that of my speedometer,
                      with just an error of +/- 1 km/h, with a lag of 1 second!
                      I do not own any other GPS device but if you are asking for usability, i can say that its almost perfect for me. I did say almost because it takes about 3-8 minutes to get a fix
                      (gps function only, a-gps turned off).
                      Currently downloading GMXT 5.00.5 and will install it later.

Comment

Already using voice guided navigation of GMXT 5.00.50 on my Nokia 5800 and works perfect! no hang-ups experienced, unlike on version 5.00.30 where GMXT shuts down while navigating.

and with a-gps, i would trust GMXT on 5800 on my soon to come off-road activity. (Puerto Princesa to El Nido) i just need to find a car holder and original car charger for my Nokia 5800.

also still searching for n60 software that could auto save my location every 5 minutes (in case i get lost ). any suggestions? i dont think GMXT have this ability.

Comment

Originally posted by tekno View Post
                          also still searching for n60 software that could auto save my location every 5 minutes (in case i get lost ). any suggestions? i dont think GMXT have this ability.
                          You can turn-on tracking in XT... a breadcrumb trail will show you where you've been and you can use it to track-back. Just go to "tools/manage my data/tracks" then play around with the track settings. For normal use, just turn track settings off so the tracks won't clutter up your map display unnecesarily. And try to check out what the track setting does before going on your big trip... and you won't get lost unless you want to...

Comment

Originally posted by oj88 View Post
                            Why not have both? Have a Nuvi attached semi-permanently on your car and a mobile phone-GPS with you all the time?

The current generation of mobile phones just won't cut it for daily navigation use. It's more of a "better than no GPS" sort of deal... a backup GPS, if you will. Use it as your main GPS and you'll soon run into nuances like I did.

If the phone rings or if you received a text message that requires a reply, imagine the kind of ordeal you'll be as you fumble for the phone on the windshield or dashboard, while still attached on a suitable mount and maybe even a charging cable. Of course you only do this while the vehicle is not moving, but the extra three to five steps gets old pretty quick.

I second the motion. I own both GMXT on N5800 and a Nuvi 205, GMXT as a backup GPSr . Based on my experience Nuvi is a more accurate GPSr.

Comment

5800 and GMXT for me also works fine... (just 1 routing miscalculations so far.)

and probably because it's a rarely driven route going to San Fernando Pampanga from Baliuag Bulacan...

Comment

Working...
                              X